Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Eclipse,
That should have said

a) Who did your oil changes before yourself? A MB dealer?
b) Who replaced the vent tube for you? A MB dealer?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
...And give you a nice loaner plus good donuts and coffee
@jmc - Should not the overfill have generated a code on BSpeedy's OBD2?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
@jmc yes the pressure makes the crank seal bulge and against the pulley and that is what makes the chirp. My seal was not replaced and two years later no issues. Knock on wood. I do my own oil changes now. 4 1/2 years old and 26,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats great to know
Pity its not easy to find professionals who take pride in their work but rather lots of techs hastening up a production line

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
@jmc - Should not the overfill have generated a code on BSpeedy's OBD2?
Its unfortunate there seems to only be a low oil pressure monitor and oil temperature sensor
have not seen an oil level sensor akin to the fuel level gauge
so oil level is still a human eye process and no obd pid to track
but like historic machinery such as vacuum pumps etc there could be a simple quartz window for that with a prism for top down viewing in real time

·
Registered
542 Posts
Eclipse,
a) Who does your oil changes?
b) Who replaced the vent tube for you? A MB dealer?
@Geo K MB dealer when in warranty and then myself. The dealer changed out the vent tube under warranty since they were the ones who did the A service a few months before. It took 3 times to get it fixed. They cleaned the drive belt the first time, then they replaced the belt. At this point I went and did research of my own and found a post on the A45 message board with the same issue as mine and told what was replaced. I then called the dealer and they were like okay we will replace what they said on message board and it was fixed and they were happy I quit bugging them. The feeling was mutual as I was tired of them trying to fix it and saying it was fixed and I drive 10 minutes to my house and the noise they said is fixed is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Eclipse - Good show (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update:
I spoke to the Service Manager at Mercedes in my area. They apologized for overfilling but said they will not fix it because the condition could have pre-existed. I pushed further and they offered my next service for free. I asked what parts would need to be replaced and they indicated it could be a couple of different things from a bad seal, to the belt, to the vent system. A tech did show me where the vent lines are. If you follow the line from the oil cap area to rear of engine, you will get to a black box that has the second vent tube connected it that goes to the air intake. Looks like special connectors in the back and a little scared to try to disconnect them.

Geo - what was the actual fix in your case?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
They apologized for overfilling but said they will not fix it because the condition could have pre-existed. I pushed further and they offered my next service for free.
Unfortunately this is why a strict trust but verify policy is important ... like if they had shown you the oil level cuz they actually followed sop and checked it and documented it in fact ask them to read that section to you and they will realize they screwed up cuz if they followed the factory instructions and didnt skip the verification steps you would never have had oil overfill ... betcha they did not insert-rotate-pull-read-wipe-reinsert 3x to get an average oil level reading (90seconds)

Though the preexisting argument will look like a barn door to a legal shark cuz the ovefill created the condition (presuming your car was indeed fine until after the oil overfill)

Be careful with that free service lest something else pops up after that one like a loose filter from incorrect or uncalibrated torque wrench, cracked filter seal by incorrect threading motion, oil in the intake from too high an oil refill rate per service bulletin notes, pcv system failure due to minute contamination or damage to the oil cap seal per lack of inspection and work area contamination control, etc i can go on forever all these are real world mistakes lists from folks who learned the hard way

Just be careful

Think i will stick to doing these maintenance routines on my own ... at least until i cant anymore

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am getting this chirping bird sounds coming from my passenger side front tire of my 2014 CLA 45 AMG.
If I remove the oil cap, the noise disappears. I have seen some posts that suggest cleaning or replacing the crank case vent parts to resolve.
Does anyone have instructions, pictures or know the locations of the crank case vent tubes.

Thanks!
Arctic White, 2014 CLA 45 AMG (no upgrades yet) (love it!)
Hi Everyone,

I am getting this chirping bird sounds coming from my passenger side front tire of my 2014 CLA 45 AMG.
If I remove the oil cap, the noise disappears. I have seen some posts that suggest cleaning or replacing the crank case vent parts to resolve.
Does anyone have instructions, pictures or know the locations of the crank case vent tubes.

Thanks!
Arctic White, 2014 CLA 45 AMG (no upgrades yet) (love it!)
I had the same noise and I change the tensioner belt

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
... well similar noise from worn or contaminated belts
though that has an easy test to confirm (a few drops of water) whereas the oil seal squeak recurs

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the exact same issue as well. I've brought the car in to the dealer and tech confirmed it was the PCV valve and told me it's not covered under warranty unless the CEL is triggered. Of course, my warranty is now over and the sound still exists and still no CEL light. I went back and forth with Mercedes corporate as well and they stopped responding to me and I got tired of all the back and forth and waiting a week for replies. Dealer also quoted me 2000+ bucks to fix this after the 160 dollar inspection fee I paid for diagnoses.

If anybody has a how-to on replacing, please post.

All I know is, this car's pcv valve is in the back of the engine bay where it is extremely hard to access, so Mercedes techs have to take apart of a bunch of stuff just to access it for an easy remove and pop the new one in place.

Extremely disappointed in mercedes' world class service.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts