Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded transmission oil change for my CLA 220 has arrived!
I’ve purchased all the parts and materials and raring to go however...

How would you check the level of the transmission oil whilst pouring the new oil in?!
I understand that there’s a dipstick which can show the level at 20’c and 80’c and it’s a very specific amount of oil that has to be added to the transmission, approx 4.5 litres.
It’s a minefield out there regarding these dipsticks so if anyone has a link to one or advise where to purchase one it would be appreciated :)

The car spec is
Transmission : 724 003
Engine : 651 930

I’ve phoned Mercedes and they would like £99 so now looking at alternative methods. Even if someone could help with the distance in ‘mm’ from the collar of the dipstick to the min/ max markings then I could maybe narrow it down to a few

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
search for posts on this ... i recall posting pictures of the dipstick details etc
its on here somewhere :)
important hint: keep things cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean (no linty towels, paper towels, etc)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice again JMC.
I’ve found your post an will add the link to the bottom of this one.
Did you carry out a full flush or a fluid change?
Just been reading and it says a fluid change will only change approx a third of the fluid, is this correct? I can’t imagine the dealerships will carry out a full flush though as it’s time consuming.
I’ve got the fluid from the dealership and to be fair it was reasonably priced and branded as MB. Did you also put the additive in?

After reading your post I can now understand why you say about keeping things clean! So say I used a new funnel (no filter on the funnel) with trans oil straight from the bottle into the filling point could this get contaminated?

Now feeling slightly nervous about this whole procedure lol!

JMC’s post

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Thanks for the advice again JMC.
I’ve found your post an will add the link to the bottom of this one.
Did you carry out a full flush or a fluid change?
Just been reading and it says a fluid change will only change approx a third of the fluid, is this correct? I can’t imagine the dealerships will carry out a full flush though as it’s time consuming.
I’ve got the fluid from the dealership and to be fair it was reasonably priced and branded as MB. Did you also put the additive in?

After reading your post I can now understand why you say about keeping things clean! So say I used a new funnel (no filter on the funnel) with trans oil straight from the bottle into the filling point could this get contaminated?

Now feeling slightly nervous about this whole procedure lol!

JMC’s post
So glad you tracked down the post ... good show! do go thru the rest of it
My gearbox fluid is still clear at <20k.mi and 4.5yrs - it was changed back in Mar 2015 during warranty work
So I will wait till the 5yr mark or so
The master tech just followed procedure - drain and refill (no flush)
But when I do mine I will add the antifoam ... won't hurt
I will be using a glass funnel with a long tip (remember chemistry?) and a high density paint straining filter for refilling ... the factory version of the refill filter thing is way too expensive (silly)
Grab a pix of the old fluid level when cold as a reference ... then when refilling with new fluid pour in 4L first and go from there (per the tech's procedure)
That ~33% fluid change info seems odd ... if the total fluid refill required is say 5L and you drain out say 4.5L to account for any residual fluid in the hydraulic channels then that 33% comment means there is still another 9L somewhere?????!!!!! Can you post a link for that info?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts