Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

At first my eye was on a 2009 cls then I saw the 2014 cla 250 and had my sights to purchase it
both are the same price, 2009 is used with kms and cla is brand new ...
its just a hard decision because the cls is so sexy ... what do you think ? cla new or 2009 used cls
im really into cosmetics vs performance and speed

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey Everyone!

At first my eye was on a 2009 cls then I saw the 2014 cla 250 and had my sights to purchase it
both are the same price, 2009 is used with kms and cla is brand new ...
its just a hard decision because the cls is so sexy ... what do you think ? cla new or 2009 used cls
im really into cosmetics vs performance and speed
The CLS was stunning when it first came out. The coupe style is no longer as provocative but no less pretty.
The 550 motor with around 380 hp is a mighty mill. Handling of the car is a different matter. It is a big car. It also has very limited space in the back for such a big car.
I am not just talking headroom, but everything else. And it only seats four. The interior is also dated. The dash and center stack is from the early 2000's.
Would I get it ? Depends on the color, price and condition and if it has the AMG package, especially the wheels. Have to remember it is a different size car compared to the CLA.
It's like comparing a S class v. C class.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right ! great points !
the lack of head room is what turns me off about the cls also ... but the cla only seats four also i thought
i just hope they dont totally redesign the cla next year to make my14 look old

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I think the most important question you need to answer is whether you would be happier with a (different) new car or a "new to you" CLS?

You can always find an argument that you will get more value for your dollar from the used car (assuming it's a decent used car to begin with) but whether you're going to be happier with it will depend on whether you really wanted it in the first place! Did you always want a new CLS? Is it a car you've lusted over for a while? Go with the car that excites you the most. It doesn't make sense to buy a used car that will bore you to death or that doesn't satisfy your wants or needs.

Also, keep in mind that just because the cost of entrance is the same doesn't mean the costs of ownership are the same. The "new to you CLS" is going to have mileage on it that will require more expensive maintenance sooner than a new CLA. Forget about the value question until you know which you really want most...then start thinking about whether the value of the used car is right.

My $.02,
-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
your right ! great points !
the lack of head room is what turns me off about the cls also ... but the cla only seats four also i thought
i just hope they dont totally redesign the cla next year to make my14 look old
Technically the CLA is a 5-seater. The rear middle seat is for punishing someone you don't like...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive always wanted a cls .. but i need a little more room in the back seat... and im scared of unexpected cost when buying a used 2009 cls , been reading electric problems with the cls550

maybe cla for the "fifth seat" to put my roommate there lol

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If you like a "coupe" style sedan, another CLS-sized option to consider might be an Audi A7. I'm not sure how the back seat compares to the CLS but it, too, is a much larger car than the CLA.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
thanks ! I checked out the A7 it was nice.. but i think i will stick with the cls ... for now lol
You know the VW CC coupe is gorgeous and you can get a loaded new one for the same price as a 2009 CLS ( Under $30k for a CC Sport with S-line and low 30k for one with fancy wood, GPS, backup camera etc after discount.) The upgrades for 2013, by the way, is very considerable including a third seat in the back.
Remember VW owns Audi and everything Audi offers, VW line will get after a couple of years. Like this upcoming new A3 / S3 is the same platform as the new VW Golf.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A 2009 CLS out of warranty will be a huge money pit, so either make sure you get ELW in the deal or have a war chest of ten grand or so for "incidental issues".

·
Registered
128 Posts
A 2009 CLS out of warranty will be a huge money pit, so either make sure you get ELW in the deal or have a war chest of ten grand or so for "incidental issues".
Beside I am not sure I want a big car like CLS outside my house, I would have been worried about the warranty too. And what about insurance? I assume it is more expensive to ensure a CLS than a CLA.

On the positive side, I think the CLS will be worth more than the CLA in two years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny you ask this question, I actually just test drove a '12 CLS AMG for sh*ts and giggles when I went in to preorder my CLA. Though its not the 09 version, I found the car to be far too big given the amount of cabin space you get. Even though the engine had 545 HP, it felt out of place in a car that was so hard to whip around the corners.

The other points others have mentioned are worthy as well. The gas mileage and lack of warranty ensure you will spend quite a bit more on the CLS than the CLA. I've been toying with the same question, as I'm looking at getting a used 5 Series in case I don't fall in love with my CLA upon test drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts