Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered my Parts for the 45 style rear diffuser.

Followed the "simple" steps to install, which were not simple at all; I think this is an extreme DIY; not for the faint of heart...

FINALLY got my current diffuser off which is the hardest part after 4 hours of work...

cruised along to installing the tips, popped in the right side tip holder and tip itself. No problem.

Grab my next tip holder... it can't seem to fit? Realize....THEY SENT ME TWO TIP HOLDERS FOR THE RIGHT SIDE.

NOW MY CAR IS DIFFUSER-LESS AND WAITING ON THE OTHER TIP HOLDER :doh:

....ALIBABA SUCKS...

END my first ever rant on these forums or social media ever.

but also wanted to warn others the install is really quite difficult.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
View attachment 19402 I bought mines from a member here and its the original diffuser from a cla45 its a 100% fitment but it looks great!!!
Just rub it in his face why don't you! Golly! Jk but yea ive been on the fence about the aftermarket diffusors offered. They look great but matching up the panels is always a pain in the butt! Props to both of you though for taking the leap! Hope all ends well santy!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 19402 I bought mines from a member here and its the original diffuser from a cla45 its a 100% fitment but it looks great!!!
Haha Im glad to hear it! and it looks awesome! Mine also came with the 45 style tips but that looks awesome and nice that its installed without issue.

Just rub it in his face why don't you! Golly! Jk but yea ive been on the fence about the aftermarket diffusors offered. They look great but matching up the panels is always a pain in the butt! Props to both of you though for taking the leap! Hope all ends well santy!
Hahah Thank you! I am getting the other part shipped in and it should workout good! I will post photos when its all done :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
How did you get the rear black mesh off? I tried and it isn't budging :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
How did you get the rear black mesh off? I tried and it isn't budging :(
Since so many people messaged me about this, here's my latest response. Hope this helps!

--

Grab a plastic removal kit (bunch of crowbar looking things) from O'Reilly. Using these tools, you don't need to worry about scratching the bumper or paint. Use the thinnest flat head to poke into the spots where clips are located. Now to locate these clips, you might wanna use the new mesh to reference against your current one. The positions of the clips are identical on both mesh parts. Dig deep, apply pressure, and don't be afraid. It is critical that you poke the right spots. If you miss by a fraction of an inch, the clips are not coming off. I spent the majority of my time on unclipping because I kept missing the exact positions and poking into wrong space.

The worst that can happen in this process is you destroy your current mesh and its clips (plastic), which did happen to me, but you won't ever need that mesh again so I wouldn't worry. The counterpart clips on the vehicle are made out of metal or steel, so you can't really destroy them no matter how hard you mess around.

If I remember correctly, there were 16 clips. Once you've unclipped them all, you would think the whole mesh would just pull out. Nope (this is where I almost gave up). If you look very closely towards the central part where the mesh connects with the diffuser, there are two "shark teeth" clips that you have to remove. At least this was the case for my 2014 CLA. These two clips are extremely hard to spot. After this, the rest should be smooth sail.

One more heads up - do not mess with the vehicle painted stock diffuser at the bottom of the old mesh, because that is part of the rear bumper and does not come off. Your new diffuser will go right over the stock diffuser. You'll see it fit nicely over.

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks! Finally got the mesh off. How did you unscrew the bolts on the original tips? Can't seem to get those off.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
what % did you tint your taillights gohawks?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Reactions: thevin

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You could always use a breaker bar if you don't have extreme arm strength. .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you happen to know what size are the bolts for the breaker bar?

·
Registered
169 Posts
do you know if the diffusers on the Non Sport back bumper are the same size? Can I just swap over to a more aggressive diffuser?
No, they're different size. You'll have to find an aftermarket diffuser specifically made for the non-sport model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, they're different size. You'll have to find an aftermarket diffuser specifically made for the non-sport model.
Which are non-existent, as far as I've been able to tell. I don't like the look of the sport package at all so I stuck with the standard package. I've been searching everywhere for something that isn't sport package only. No luck :(

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts