Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please confirm before I take my CLA back to the dealer?

Side mirrors do not extend far enough to view traffic in the other lanes or adequately covering blind spots. When I adjust my seat a little further from the steering wheel, I can still see the rear of my car in view even when I adjust the mirror all the way out. I end up having to adjust the entire mirror from its pivot point.
Does this happen to all CLA's or just mine? I cannot remember from test drive.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't rely on the mirror for blind spot, just the old fashioned head turning, so I'm not sure about covering blind spots, but if they don't cover enough for the adjacent lanes (should be able to view traffic behind the blind spots), that's definitely a problem

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't rely on the mirror for blind spot, just the old fashioned head turning, so I'm not sure about covering blind spots, but if they don't cover enough for the adjacent lanes (should be able to view traffic behind the blind spots), that's definitely a problem
Agreed. I also turn around when feasible. But for a quick lane change, it helps to have full view of the adjacent lane. In some cases to swerve out of harms way.
20 years and counting without a collision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Zee, I don't think there is a way to totally cover the blind spot by side mirror. That's why we need to turn head when taking the road tests. However, there are several YouTube videos there showing how to best cover blind spot. Basically you don't need to see your car in the mirror and that's how you adjust your mirrors.

Although I still turn my head every time when I change lane ; )

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same problem. Most of my life, I had my side mirrors positioned to see the back of my car. However, recently, I switched to the setup where it views the adjacent lanes without having any view of your car. (A vehicle closing in on an adjacent lane would first appear on my rear view mirror before disappearing on it, but at the same time begin to appear on the side mirrors) While my previous C-Class was capable of this setup, my CLA's mirror won't pan out wide enough. I too find it a problem.

Reactions: 2katman2

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same problem. Most of my life, I had my side mirrors positioned to see the back of my car. However, recently, I switched to the setup where it views the adjacent lanes without having any view of your car. (A vehicle closing in on an adjacent lane would first appear on my rear view mirror before disappearing on it, but at the same time begin to appear on the side mirrors) While my previous C-Class was capable of this setup, my CLA's mirror won't pan out wide enough. I too find it a problem.
Thanks. I was trying to find out if my mirror was defective. My other cars would allow me to pan out to almost 2 lanes over.

Hi Zee, I don't think there is a way to totally cover the blind spot by side mirror. That's why we need to turn head when taking the road tests. However, there are several YouTube videos there showing how to best cover blind spot. Basically you don't need to see your car in the mirror and that's how you adjust your mirrors.

Although I still turn my head every time when I change lane ; )
CyrusZ, That's my problem. I cannot adjust the mirrors to "not see my car in the mirror". The adjustment stops. I can even see the mirrors (glass) start to bend when I hold down the control button.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dude I get you. Nothing wrong with your mirrors. I had the same concern. Even tho I do have BlindSpot stuff, I wanted to adjust my driverside mirror to cover more outside view, which is proper way of using your mirrors. Funny, the passenger side opens more further than the driverside. But yeah. its the design flaw in my opinion, and if you don't have a blindspot assist, just be careful.
Thanks. I was trying to find out if my mirror was defective. My other cars would allow me to pan out to almost 2 lanes over.

CyrusZ, That's my problem. I cannot adjust the mirrors to "not see my car in the mirror". The adjustment stops. I can even see the mirrors (glass) start to bend when I hold down the control button.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was hesitant to start such a thread. But I absolutely agree with not being able to adjust to see the blind spot ! This is the first time I'm unhappy with side mirrors. What I do, is push the mirror a little out of it's position, then adjust it electronically. Usually stays in the new position (except after car wash). Very annoying but works.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was hesitant to start such a thread. But I absolutely agree with not being able to adjust to see the blind spot ! This is the first time I'm unhappy with side mirrors. What I do, is push the mirror a little out of it's position, then adjust it electronically. Usually stays in the new position (except after car wash). Very annoying but works.
I end up doing the same, except, car wash. Luckily it is not noticeable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Meantime, thinking about it, perhaps its just the drivers positions angle difference letting me see more outside on the passenger side mirror, I doubt they will have different setting or opening angle allowance.
Dude I get you. Nothing wrong with your mirrors. I had the same concern. Even tho I do have BlindSpot stuff, I wanted to adjust my driverside mirror to cover more outside view, which is proper way of using your mirrors. Funny, the passenger side opens more further than the driverside. But yeah. its the design flaw in my opinion, and if you don't have a blindspot assist, just be careful.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meantime, thinking about it, perhaps its just the drivers positions angle difference letting me see more outside on the passenger side mirror, I doubt they will have different setting or opening angle allowance.
When looking at the glass inside the mirror, it stops at the same place on both mirrors. So, you are right. It may just be the driver position that affects the passenger mirror.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
First thing I noticed when I took delivery: the driver's side mirror wouldn't swing out far enough.

OhCapn said it best: you should adjust the mirror for the blind spot, not to see the side of your car (one way do do this is to adjust the left mirror with your head against the side window, and the right mirror with your head in the center of the car, so you can see the respective side of the car.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's exactly what they teach in advanced driving courses - and if mirrors adjust properly (which they do NOT in the CLA), there is no such thing as a blind spot

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Can someone please confirm before I take my CLA back to the dealer?

Side mirrors do not extend far enough to view traffic in the other lanes or adequately covering blind spots. When I adjust my seat a little further from the steering wheel, I can still see the rear of my car in view even when I adjust the mirror all the way out. I end up having to adjust the entire mirror from its pivot point.
Does this happen to all CLA's or just mine? I cannot remember from test drive.
I have exact same issue with the left mirror. It is a design flaw. I am sure MB will fix it by next model year. Another reason not to buy 1st year model...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have exact same issue with the left mirror. It is a design flaw. I am sure MB will fix it by next model year. Another reason not to buy 1st year model...
This is certainly a safety issue.
Recall???

·
Registered
174 Posts
maybe people who have driven other mercedes models could also comment on this to see if it is only the case in CLA
Never have such a problem on 2004 CLK500 and 2006 R350. However, it may have similar issue on the newer C and E class because the mirrors are basically the same as those in CLA.

I also noticed the mirror issue when I took delivery of my CLA and I thought it was defective. I really regard not getting Blind Spot Assist. In my other cars, I always swing the mirrors outward enough so that I never have to turn my shoulder. Now, after owning the CLA for over 3 months and I am still having trouble shoulder checking, especially, at night.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Well I have no problem with my mirrors. THey're positioned perfectly in my opinion but that could be because of my drivers position (Guessing that the AMG has the same mirrors as the CLA250 that's why I posted)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well to me a blind spot is the spot not covered by your side mirror and the rear view mirror. So as a car is coming behind you you start seeing it with your rear view mirror, than in you side mirrors. At one point no matter how it is adjusted the car will disappear. Physics. Your eye sight pointing at side mirror no matter how adjusted will always have a blind spot. Now the blind spot will be moving closer or farther away as you move the mirror angle. I believe if we were able to move mirror so much outward you would even have a blind spot for a car coming in the second lane over. Your eyes hit the mirror at an angle ( angle incidence) and reflects back ( angle reflection). That is how I remember school physics.

I do have to say you cannot move the mirror that much and also it is dependent of how far backward your seat is or forward!

Web:
http://blog.cochran.com/wordpress/index.php/eliminate-blind-spots/

Ahh, the dreaded blind spot. We all have had those scary moments when we check our mirrors and as we merge, someone comes out of nowhere cruising at Mach IV and almost takes paint off the fender. There are however simple ways we can reduce the odds of being sideswiped by a Ricky Bobby wannabe.

Most of us were taught to position the side mirrors so that we can see the side of our vehicle on each mirror. This is wrong. The trick is to work the angles and consider peripheral vision (what we naturally see out of the corner of our eyes).

In order to obtain a proper mirror angle, do the following:

Driver-side Mirror: Place face against window, adjust mirror so that you can barely see the left edge of the vehicle.
Passenger-side Mirror: Lean over until you are in the center of the vehicle (directly over the console). Adjust mirror so that you can barely see the right edge of the vehicle.
Eliminate Blindspot

Now the mirrors are positioned more outward. This may feel a bit strange at first so test it out and adjust accordingly. Let a few vehicles pass you on each side to test it. Once the passing vehicle leaves your side mirror, you should see it in your peripheral vision. If not, make minor adjustments to correct it while you’re pulled over so as to avoid driver distraction.

Overall, this will add more confidence to your highway driving, especially at night. Every car, truck or van is designed differently, so make sure you have the mirrors positioned properly for that specific vehicle.

Traffic light Automotive lighting Line signaling device Parallel

Sent from mini-iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum

1 - 20 of 85 Posts