Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Curious query...

Why is the North American CLA model dubbed a CLA250 when the power-plant will be a 2.0L, thus going by MB naming convention it'd normally be dubbed a CLA200... :confused:

Anywayz...

This is what the CLA AMG Black Series will have:

Nota Bene: Hear me now, believe me later... ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Will the non-Sports CLA250 (USDM) w/ the stock 17" wheels also come w/ run-flats? I'd be content w/ some nice max-performance summer tires and/or high-performance touring tires, truth-be-told! :cool:

I had some Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position run-flats, they were quite grippy w/ a very bouncy/firm ride as well as being incredibly heavy & so-so treadlife... :eek:

I Stopped trying to figure it out...going from memory soooooo.....SLK 280 had a 3L and the SLK 250 2.1L and the C250 has a 1.8L
Whew... glad I'm not the only one who got all confoozled by MB model naming nomenclature/convention! :D

At least the CLA45 AMG has some reason behind its name, even though it once again bucks/ducks conventional MB naming trends! :p

(FWIRC, "45" is for AMGs 45-year history as a tuning-house... correct?)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont know about 17s, but not liking that std wheel. Im getting the sport pkg with the 18s and will remove the tires asap and go with michelins x-ice xi3's as the CLA will be primarily a winter ride for me.. Not that youd have that need in TX ;)

It is the 45th anniv so prob correct!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dont know about 17s, but not liking that std wheel. Im getting the sport pkg with the 18s and will remove the tires asap and go with michelins x-ice xi3's as the CLA will be primarily a winter ride for me.. Not that youd have that need in TX ;)

It is the 45th anniv so prob correct!!
please excuse my ignorant, but does bigger wheels ensure a better ride? What tires ensure a better ride? I understand that everything is subjective, but from your point of view?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not always. Im no expert but generally the higher the wheel size the smaller the tire height, and harsher the ride. Ive been in cars rolling 22's and im not liking it, tire looked like a rubber band ;). It did look bad a$$ tho!!

please excuse my ignorant, but does bigger wheels ensure a better ride? What tires ensure a better ride? I understand that everything is subjective, but from your point of view?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Generally speaking, a tire's sidewall (profile) is somewhat indicative of ride-quality (or lack thereof). Shorter sidewall tires (lower profile) have stiffer sidewalls. And run-flats add the already stiff sidewalls, due to their construction.

When going w/ a larger wheel, whether OEM or after-market, the rolling outer-diameter more-or-less stays the same to maintain speedo' accuracy along w/ keeping the traction/stability systems functional. So, it's the tire's sidewall (profile) that changes to preserve that rolling diameter size.

FWIW, here are some reference wheel & tire sizes for the CLA (German CLA pdf):

• 15"x6.5" +47mm - 195/65R15
  • 16"x6.5" +49mm - 205/55R16
  • 17"x7.5" +52.5mm - 225/45R17
  • 18"x7.5" +52mm - 225/40R18

·
Registered
331 Posts
Generally speaking, a tire's sidewall (profile) is somewhat indicative of ride-quality (or lack thereof). Shorter sidewall tires (lower profile) have stiffer sidewalls. And run-flats add the already stiff sidewalls, due to their construction.

When going w/ a larger wheel, whether OEM or after-market, the rolling outer-diameter more-or-less stays the same to maintain speedo' accuracy along w/ keeping the traction/stability systems functional. So, it's the tire's sidewall (profile) that changes to preserve that rolling diameter size.

FWIW, here are some reference wheel & tire sizes for the CLA (German CLA pdf):

• 15"x6.5" +47mm - 195/65R15
  • 16"x6.5" +49mm - 205/55R16
  • 17"x7.5" +52.5mm - 225/45R17
  • 18:x7.5" +52mm: - 225/40R18
Nice!! Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice!! Thanks
And if you're interested in knowing how large the tires are, the breakdown is like this:

225/40R18
225 = tire tread width in millimeters.
40 = the sidewall height is 40% of the tire width, again in millimeters (90mm in this case).
18 = the wheel diameter in inches.

So the smaller that second number gets, without increasing the tire width, the less rubber you have between your wheel and the ground, thus you're likely to feel the bumps in the road a lot more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts