Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is this just a " AMG looks package " like better Aerodinamics, I love the wheels, but I'm not fan of the stiff suspension, I live in Montreal Canada, and here the winter leaves our roads full of major potholes and irregularities,

I have a friend who has a C300 with the Sport AMG package and the suspension is indeed different that the regular c300, The C300 Sport felt like Go-kart style compared to the regular one..

Thanks for any info,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Or is this just a " AMG looks package " like better Aerodinamics, I love the wheels, but I'm not fan of the stiff suspension, I live in Montreal Canada, and here the winter leaves our roads full of major potholes and irregularities,

I have a friend who has a C300 with the Sport AMG package and the suspension is indeed different that the regular c300, The C300 Sport felt like Go-kart style compared to the regular one..

Thanks for any info,

Yes if you get the "Sport Package" it comes with the AMG sport suspension

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes if you get the "Sport Package" it comes with the AMG sport suspension
Are you sure that the non-sport has a different suspension than the sport?, I don't remember where I read that they were the same.. The answer to the question from the original poster is also critical for me, I live in Houston and the roads are not RFT friendly, I will need the smoother suspension I can get in the CLA offering with the largest amount of tire rubber, no question for me that I'll order the 17"......I have dealing with RFT issues with my current car, and I know first hand the ugly side of the beast....
Thanks
Esteban

·
Registered
16 Posts
In europe we have comfort and sport buy I think that in the US you only get the sport one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
59 Posts
In europe we have comfort and sport buy I think that in the US you only get the sport one...

thanks for the info. Are you referring to the different types of drive modes within the same car?, or totally different model cars?
I like a lot the car style a lot, but, if it proves to be too stiff of a ride, this will be a deal breaker for me, I am still waiting for these cars to arrive to US to test drive them.......cheers.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car is the same... the suspension is different... the sport one is 15 mm lower and stiffer... but as I said I think that in the US you are only getting the sport one

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the AMG package that's correct the suspension is the sport but if live in the United States I don't mind at all the roads are perfect for any kind of car..

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the AMG package that's correct the suspension is the sport but if live in the United States I don't mind at all the roads are perfect for any kind of car..
You must not live in the US. "Some" or our roads are good, a lot more mediocre, and there are a helluva lot that are just plain nasty. I have read just about everything that has been printed about this car, and I "think" I remember that all US cars are getting the sport suspension. I haven't been too interested the regular CLA because my order is for the xxx45, but my hope is that it won't be TOO much stiffer than the regular sport suspension. I have 20 years of racing under my belt, and I know that extra stiff suspensions are necessary on a smooth track, but they ain't worth a bowl of warm spit on many of our every day streets. And todays fashion for big wheels and "rubber band tires" just makes things worse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In North America, the CLA only comes with sport suspension, so the Sport Package is really just an appearance package (plus if there's any real enhancement of aerodynamics and drag coefficients).

·
Registered
88 Posts
thanks for the info. Are you referring to the different types of drive modes within the same car?, or totally different model cars?
I like a lot the car style a lot, but, if it proves to be too stiff of a ride, this will be a deal breaker for me, I am still waiting for these cars to arrive to US to test drive them.......cheers.....
I used to live in Houston so I know what you're talking about and I would be scared to drive my car there (unfortunately I visit Houston frequently so sooner or later I will have to). Roads there are terrible and potholes are ubiquitous. Me thinks the ride will be too stiff for you. I currently have a CLA with the sport package in Dallas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ic, thanks for sharing your view, Eddie01. Anyone knows the price difference between these 2 models? Thinking to switch my order to 250 Sport.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My CLA Edition 1 in USA has AMG tuned real sports suspension and yes it is different than a regular CLA, it corners like a go-kart :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
My CLA Edition 1 in USA has AMG tuned real sports suspension and yes it is different than a regular CLA, it corners like a go-kart :)
funky,
Is that in black & white anywhere. The answers for US cars seem split between "all have sport" & some have a "sportier sport". When I look at the listed items on the Sport Package, I don't see anything about suspension changes.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
funky,
Is that in black & white anywhere. The answers for US cars seem split between "all have sport" & some have a "sportier sport". When I look at the listed items on the Sport Package, I don't see anything about suspension changes.
Here is a quote from Car and Driver magazine's review of the CLA 250:
"Curiously, the only suspension tune we’ll get is the stiffer of the two setups offered in Europe. The springs are firmer by virtue of being 0.6 and 0.4 inch shorter front and rear, with the bulk of the additional stiffness brought by revised damping rates. We found the ride a bit soft over the sort of dips and bumps that induce large, slow body movements, yet some manhole covers delivered jarring impacts. We wonder if the standard 17-inch wheel-and-tire package might offer the final touch of compliance we didn’t find with the optional 18-inch wheels."

Everything I've read states that there is only the Sport suspension on cars in the US.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
But then again, the flat-bottom steering wheel isn't listed in the sports package, yet some of us got it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What can I say? :confused:

·
Registered
312 Posts
funky,
Quoted from the MB CLA 250 brochure it talks about how the 250 has fully independent suspension, yada yada yada then states, "The CLA 250 Sport Package includes an even sharper sport suspension." Have no idea what that means but when i recently test drove the Sport pkg vs non sport (which had the optional 18" rims) my friend and I did notice the Sport pkg seemed to transmit road irregularities to the passengers much more readily than the non sport. And we took the same route for both test drives, one right after the other. I know all 18" rims come with Summer tires, but I wonder if the brands are different or even differing tire pressures may have played a part.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts