Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just had my CLA 45 serviced at Mercedes and they advised that I my front and rear brake pads are close to needing replacing (70% worn and 85% worn). They also advised that I will be needing new front discs as well. All up its probably going to cost around $1800 if mercedes supplies and installs the parts. Obviously I would like to do this cheaper so I am looking for opinions on the best approach. Maybe getting a private mechanical workshop to do it? or maybe even doing it myself it it is easy? Has anyone else dealt with this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi,

I just had my CLA 45 serviced at Mercedes and they advised that I my front and rear brake pads are close to needing replacing (70% worn and 85% worn). They also advised that I will be needing new front discs as well. All up its probably going to cost around $1800 if mercedes supplies and installs the parts. Obviously I would like to do this cheaper so I am looking for opinions on the best approach. Maybe getting a private mechanical workshop to do it? or maybe even doing it myself it it is easy? Has anyone else dealt with this?
throw some of these bad boys on there! 😍
image.png

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi,

If you live in the USA try the HG motorsports rotors and steel braided lines. The HG rotors and lines are lighter (substantially lighter) than stock AMG rotors. Use the Mercedes pads, they are substantially better to anything out there, trust me on this one, I used metallic pads and they faded in summer, after switching g back to the oem pads the problem disappeared. . The new lines will give you quicker braking reaction (lower bare reaction time that translates in shorter braking distance) and a very solid pedal feel. For the 4 corners with pads and upgraded parts you will be hitting around 1600 to 1700 US dollars more or less.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you live in the USA try the HG motorsports rotors and steel braided lines. The HG rotors and lines are lighter (substantially lighter) than stock AMG rotors. Use the Mercedes pads, they are substantially better to anything out there, trust me on this one, I used metallic pads and they faded in summer, after switching g back to the oem pads the problem disappeared. . The new lines will give you quicker braking reaction (lower bare reaction time that translates in shorter braking distance) and a very solid pedal feel. For the 4 corners with pads and upgraded parts you will be hitting around 1600 to 1700 US dollars more or less.
yes you are right! HGMS & TP offers them...

I like the saw cut rotors though, they look [email protected] will be changing pad & rotors soon too so I don't know what im gonna get...

Shnaxl,
How many roughly mileage is on your CLA45?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Great video... But was I the only who noticed the guy wearing himself out walking back and forth to the roll away shop table he could have had next to him the whole time... Maybe be was working on keeping up his step count on his FitBit. lol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I thought the rotors are suppose to last quite a long time???? Thats an expensive fix for a 2-3 years car?
Euro cars have soft rotors and most likely are not able to be re-surfaced if they are really bad....

Jdm/other cars have hard rotors and can be re-surfaced sometimes when they are really bad...

in the end.. its really up to the owner if they want to replace it for a new or have them re-surfaced....but gotta remember safety, cars rely heavily on the braking system...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Australia. The car has done 50,000 km (1/2 by me and 1/2 by the previous owner). I drive the car pretty hard. I am basically looking for the cheapest way out of this. Does anyone know what brand the OEM pads are? I might try to buy them privately through the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I live in Australia. The car has done 50,000 km (1/2 by me and 1/2 by the previous owner). I drive the car pretty hard. I am basically looking for the cheapest way out of this. Does anyone know what brand the OEM pads are? I might try to buy them privately through the manufacturer.
Brembo

·
Registered
1 Posts
By hand, they seems a bit heavier.
Hi David!
Wow i was doing a lot of research and i found the brembo rotors at rockauto to be the best fit and price. I think i will order them soon.
I was wondering what you used for your brake pads? There seems to be a lot out there and not sure what to choose. It seems like the rear pads are brembos (i think best fit is part P50099N), and the front may be by TRW TEXTAR.. If you can help out let me know! Some people say to go with the OEM for the pads so if you have a good link for that would also be helpful.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't know what brake pad i have, i bought the car 2 years ago. They are still very good. I know it is not the best to change the rotor and not the pad but...

The 2 fronts rotor 200$, but 90$ of shipping...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts