341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Trying to find brembo/rotors calipers that will fit the 250, got no luck,

Can the cla 45's fit the 250?

·
Registered
697 Posts
The brake package on the 45 is bigger than on the 250. You will need new wheels to package the calipers. I know that HG motorsports of San Diego has a brake package for the cla250. The last I heard they were zinc coating the discs and they were very near on getting steel brake lines. Before you shell out the big bucks on the big brake kit ask those guys and see what they have, the other thing is that you may only need a front kit not the four wheels, but that is more of a question of both balance and also aesthetics, some people want the 4 piston on the back and the 6 piston on the front, others want the original disc rear and a 2 piston and a 6 piston bbk on the front. However if you are in to Brembo or rotora you will need an adaptation bracket to mount the calipers. Those are available but you will need some diligent help with the retrofit. If you do it, let us know and post pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Guys,

Yes, it will fit. You seem to be on 18" Amg 5 spoke? This was std on some CLA 45. Double check if your offset around 45mm, it should be ok for cla 45 brakes.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey Guys,

did you look at the HG CLA track version? That one has the brembo calipers and rotors on the front, it explains the installation and the bracket they had to use. Give it a look and see if that is close to what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to upgrade my CLA250 brakes to that of the CLA45, what do I need to do this conversion on the front and rear of the vehicle?

·
Registered
697 Posts
That is an expensive proposition, but if you want to do it here is the way to go about it. The reason why I know is because I took a stab at it with my parts guy at my dealership. He was very open about the deal and he helped me all the way to make a yes or no decision.
First get a CLA 45 VIN. Go to your parts counter and tell them you want to buy the calipers and the rotors. Hey will use your vin and the cla 45 vin and see if they fit, the parts will fit of course but you will have to do some fitment trials because you have a regular setup, you will also need bigger wheels with the proper offset.
If I where you and I want to have the looks I suggest the CLA sport plus calipers, they fit a std CLA and are bolt on. If you want stopping power then go for a new set of rotors and aggressive pads, HG Motorsports has a two piece rotor set that is fairly inexpensive, if you want carbon ceramic brakes there is a vendor in the forum that has them for the CLA but they are expensive. If you want the AMG calipers because you really want them then you will have to spend a few thousands. Regardless of your decision please seek the help of a good tuning shop that knows mercedes, your safety is riding on those brakes.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would like to upgrade my CLA250 brakes to that of the CLA45, what do I need to do this conversion on the front and rear of the vehicle?
I did it!!
First you have to prepare a big buck.

Back to the topic, there are many things to be prepared as below.

Check Beforehand
a. Ensure your wheel is 18"
b. Be sure the offset is ok, the AMG package wheel is no problem.

Parts Preparation
a. 45 caliper, front and rear with its accessories (come in one packages if you order complete set, incl. pins, caliper bolts, disc bolts...etc)
b. Caliper frame for rear
c. Brake pads, both front and rear (with one new brake pad sensor)
d. Brake discs incl. front and rear (dia. is bigger than 250, thickness as well, must be replaced)
e. Brake fluid

Installation
i. The front anti-dust cover should be cut a bit to avoid collision.
ii. A torque wrench is required for tighten the caliper.

Share the photos of my installation as below.
!cid_304C6545-A1E3-4B2E-813E-67EC182340DF.jpg !cid_917C05D4-85D2-4C12-82EC-4BF80A706BCC.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
I did it!!

Check Beforehand

Parts Preparation
a. 45 caliper, front and rear with its accessories (come in one packages if you order complete set, incl. pins, caliper bolts, disc bolts...etc)
d. Brake discs incl. front and rear (dia. is bigger than 250, thickness as well, must be replaced)
e. Brake fluid

Installation

View attachment 15902 View attachment 15903

hold up, did you add those "turbo" emblems...?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I did it!!

Check Beforehand

Parts Preparation
e. Brake fluid

Installation

View attachment 15902 View attachment 15903
NIce Job looks sharp.! what did the whole project cost? Can you post a pic of complete car with tires installed to get a good look please.

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Let's not go down the "whats wrong with AMG badging a 250," there is another thread on this. Let's keep this as the OP's topic on upgrading brakes.
Agree! The mod is actually very cool. and he was the only one who took the time to verify that it can be done. So I think he deserves some credit, where credit is due.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just like the turbo badge, all you can say that my car is a fake 45, that is in your eye.
The upgrade of my brake system is not a part of 45 look, it is the necessary item because the original brake can't fulfill my use in circuit.
To modify a car, the tire and brake is the first step to do.
It means that you don't drive too hard if you think original brake is enough for use.

Some say that I can take Brembo GT caliper with more brake power, why take the 45 caliper with only 4 piston?
- No extended foundation is required, ensure the safety.
- Solid disc in original rear, Ventilated disc in 45.
- Balance brake power with front + rear AMG caliper, if I use Brembo GT, the brake will be too much in front which is not good in circuit.
- Because of the electronic hand brake, it can be retained with AMG rear caliper. Otherwise the hand brake has to be abrogated.

By the way, I am trying to find out the potential of this M270 engine, it is more fun to me because of the low boost, I will try to modify my turbo and have more A/R to upgrade the horse power.
In my point of view, M133 of 45 is original pushed to the peak so it is no more room for upgrade, it is the reason why I don't buy the 45.

For example, if you want to boost up your Honda CIVIC, you won't care if it is an original Type R or not.
Because the power will be more than that.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just like the turbo badge, all you can say that my car is a fake 45, that is in your eye.
The upgrade of my brake system is not a part of 45 look, it is the necessary item because the original brake can't fulfill my use in circuit.
To modify a car, the tire and brake is the first step to do.
It means that you don't drive too hard if you think original brake is enough for use.

Some say that I can take Brembo GT caliper with more brake power, why take the 45 caliper with only 4 piston?
- No extended foundation is required, ensure the safety.
- Balance brake power with front + rear AMG caliper, if I use Brembo GT, the brake will be too much in front which is not good in circuit.
- Because of the electronic hand brake, it can be retained with AMG rear caliper. Otherwise the hand brake has to be abrogated.

By the way, I am trying to find out the potential of this M270 engine, it is more fun to me because of the low boost, I will try to modify my turbo and have more A/R to upgrade the horse power.
In my point of view, M133 of 45 is original pushed to the peak so it is no more room for upgrade, it is the reason why I don't buy the 45.

For example, if you want to boost up your Honda CIVIC, you don't really need a Type R to start.
  1. Where do you track?
  2. Agree the bigger brakes are best for track. You don't need them for regular driving, the tires will lose traction before the brakes loses the ability to slow down the car.
  3. If you had the 45 you might not need a reason to upgrade the 250 engine?

·
Registered
29 Posts
  1. Where do you track?
  2. Agree the bigger brakes are best for track. You don't need them for regular driving, the tires will lose traction before the brakes loses the ability to slow down the car.
  3. If you had the 45 you might not need a reason to upgrade the 250 engine?
1. Actually I'm not in the states, I am in Taiwan.
2. You are definitely correct, as I said, the tire and brake has to be considered together. Currently I use Michelin Pilot Super Sport with 235/40/18.
Thinking to upgrade to 235/35/19 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.
3. Agree, but I want to see if I can press more power from this M270, it enjoy to modify :p
M133 is an excellent engine, but I think it is already pushed to the top, quite limited to boost more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts