Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently only at 347 miles and I’ve had a few instances where I went way over 4500 rpm.

In terms of distance, I’d say I did a total of 2 miles maximum worth of aggressive driving (minus the aggressive driving that the worker performed for me during the test drive, and cannot imagine how aggressive the other test drives had been prior to purchasing the vehicle with 68 miles). Other than that, I’ve been driving very reserved like a grandma.

Would these quick/short lived instances impact the outcome of the engine break in process?

·
Registered
316 Posts
yeh totally ruined it, why would you thrash it when you know it needed to be run in ,only kidding , wont have caused any harm i would have thought, its just continuous high revs or sudden stopping they recommend not doing

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
After full warm up should be ok ...
but if someone redlined it right after ignition during those unknown 68mi then it will show up sooner or later usually as increased oil consumption and / or early water pump / thermostat failure
Watch your oil level after each drive (cold next day) and log it - there should be lots of tick marks on the stick end ... and rotate the stick handle a couple turns before extracting to read
The first extract wont count as the ruler has to be cleaned (lint free cloth please)
Then for the next 3 separate attempts you should get a good average level read (should be the same level actually)
If you lose say 5 ticks on the ruler after around 5k miles under granny driving then houston you have a problem (scored walls from the cold high rpm runs)

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
Some say it is better to breakin the engine with "hard" driving then slow driving.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
“Hard” breakin refers to normal ramp up and down thru the rpm range ... not racing it especially before normal op temp
Most folks know about the mechanical concerns though lube fluid flow rates and surface film protection are not ideal until op temp is reached
Its quite the street science

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
there is a hole for one so you could source one ,just not sure on the length
Oh ...

Gonna go check out an M260 more carefully ... though you folks are correct there aint an obvious dipstick location

Where is this port?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts