Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Total Merc newbie here,
Got myself an AMG A45S 4Matic+ like on the picture, recently. That has 245 tyres. Does anyone have an idea why AMG CLA45S has 255 tyres, but AMG A45S has 245 tyres ? Can I fit 255 tyres to my car without rubbing them to the chassis ? Thanks.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
8 Posts
The CLA has a different track width, as a result it has different wheels and tyres to suit. I'd stick with the stock tyre size personally, why do you want to run a bigger size?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The CLA has a different track width, as a result it has different wheels and tyres to suit. I'd stick with the stock tyre size personally, why do you want to run a bigger size?
Thanks for the info,
I love 0-100 Kmh launching... I thought bigger tyres may give better traction. Else, no need, though. Weirdly, thinking of A and CLA are built on the same platform (aren't they?), they have different approach on putting them on streets... :p

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Thought the new A and CLA shared the same mfa2 chassis
Well anyway since track is governed by brake hub spread, rim width, rim offset ... you could use 255 instead of 245 (same rims) and maintain track
Though need to inspect the various rim/tire combos in the factory options list ... cuz if the offset is changed to accommodate 255 then the track will increase a few mm
The mfa2 is quite roomy ... run a finger check between the back sidewall and suspension, then front sidewall and body arch ... +5mm sidewall incursion against the suspension and body may not be an issue ?? Just a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought the new A and CLA shared the same mfa2 chassis
Well anyway since track is governed by brake hub spread, rim width, rim offset ... you could use 255 instead of 245 (same rims) and maintain track
Though need to inspect the various rim/tire combos in the factory options list ... cuz if the offset is changed to accommodate 255 then the track will increase a few mm
The mfa2 is quite roomy ... run a finger check between the back sidewall and suspension, then front sidewall and body arch ... +5mm sidewall incursion against the suspension and body may not be an issue ?? Just a guess.
I feel the same, I will check the 255 tyre installment opportunuty at a tyre shop with an expert on that area. Honestly, just 1 cm. thicker tyre could make the car look a bit more muscular, cooler... LOL And .5 cm rubber extention to the body probably won't be a problem.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
use the rim specs from your markets options list as a guide
save some time and headaches
bet the a still handles a tad better than the cla ... typically 0.1s faster in the runs and better recovery in the cornering (without that boot mass extension throwing angular momentum around)
how i wish they sent the a over here though that will cannibalize the gla sales i suppose

·
Registered
CLA 45S
8 Posts
Thanks for the info,
I love 0-100 Kmh launching... I thought bigger tyres may give better traction. Else, no need, though. Weirdly, thinking of A and CLA are built on the same platform (aren't they?), they have different approach on putting them on streets... :p
As I said, I'd stick with the factory setup.

Here's the info from WillTheyFit.com showing the wheel and tyre combos side by side.

A45S in orange
CLA45S in green

·
Registered
5 Posts
use the rim specs from your markets options list as a guide
save some time and headaches
bet the a still handles a tad better than the cla ... typically 0.1s faster in the runs and better recovery in the cornering (without that boot mass extension throwing angular momentum around)
how i wish they sent the a over here though that will cannibalize the gla sales i suppose
Ahem... I'll just leave this here... Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 S Is Faster On The Track Than The Audi RS5, Ford Mustang Bullitt | Carscoops

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Oh dont be so cheeky
Do post some whiplash photos when its broken in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts