Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I posted last year before I got my CLA that I'd love to have the Aero Kit on my AMG Line 220d 4Matic but it isn't a Factory option, only available for the AMG45, even when I rang Mercedes they checked the system and it doesn't come up for any other model, understandable.

Obviously many many forum members have added Canards to their pre-facelift model and they look great, I wanted some of that action...

So doing some digging I found and posted the below OEM part that looks good but not exactly right...

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 23.47.33.png

AMG front splitter AMG add-on parts for CLA Coupé from July 2016

But... that doesn't look like this... does it.

Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 23.18.24.png

So I've had my CLA a year and still wanted the Aero Kit, then a few companies start to produce them, and I snagged one up straight away, whilst when I call them in Australia, they are chinese and their English isn't great, they just claim that the kit with fit the AMG Line/Sport car but not the standard model, now we all know that doesn't sound right.

When I looked closely the new kit has clips on it and there are obviously no places these kits can snap on to on the AMG Line bumper, So I figured I'd have some fettling to do, I was right.

The below is the kit I was inspired by...

Gloss Black Front bumper Aero Kits & side Blade Canards for Mercedes-Benz C117 X117 CLA45 & AMG Package 16+ | Mars Performance

The kit looks the part, so I ordered, after 10 days it came and boy does it look great. Pics below...

IMG_4946.jpg
IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4949.jpg
IMG_4950.jpg
IMG_4952.jpg
IMG_4953.jpg

As you can see they came amazingly well wrapped in plastic and little material baggies, and the gloss finish is just like OEM.

Then came time to work out how to fit...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2...

So most of the clips had to be cut off, which was straight forward, took a craft knife and remove them all, so the kit was all prepared and I was planning to add 3M tape to most of the parts, but I haven't ha much luck with spoilers and 3M tape (I have posted re this) so I bought some Sikaflex.

This stuff is what boatbuilders and bodyshops use to ensure body kits and spoilers stay ON! It can be removed but is tough as hell... More on that later.

So time to remove the bumper.

Pretty straight forward, remove a bunch on bolts on top and underneath and some tucked away under wings, unclipped the parking sensors and some other cables and it lifted straight off.

I used this guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zcxjkppf610iws/Turbokits_CLA250FMICInstallation031016.pdf?dl=0
Thanks to JMC for posting, very helpful.

Also this video is handy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZd2eEvOnn0&feature=youtu.be

IMG_4987.jpg
IMG_4974.jpg
IMG_4976.jpg
IMG_4983.jpg
IMG_4984.jpg

My poor car without its face was a shock, but hey has to be done.... As you can see many of the old bumper parts are held in place by Pot rivets, so I just used a hammer and screwdriver to deform the tops of them and eventually they rivet heads just popped off with no damage to the under tray.

None of this work can be done with the bumper still on the car I found out, it has to be removed, there are a million clips holding everything in place from the inside.

Attacking the centre lip wasn't easy and many clips were broken but hey, if I ever have to put the old lip back on it'll stay in place no problem, the new aggressive lip literally just slots in place, then I used some self tapping screws (hidden) to hold it in place, as you can see form the images, it droops quite bit when it comes, but as soon as it was held in place, I was excited, as it looked awesome already.

At this point I was running out of day and this is my daily driver, so I had to put the car back together, reinstallation I reverse of what had already been done, so it was simple.

Next was sticking the remaining parts in place to look factory fit...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PART 3...

So at this stage a monumental error was made... I involved a body shop (However if you guys want to fit the Aero Kit and have a reliable body shop, definitely involve them)

Explained what needed to happen, where it had to fit, even sent them comparison images and boom, they claimed they couldn't get it to fit and fitted it with a gap... Dun dun dahhhh

The images below look great but on closer inspection they are fitted with a gap and call me picky but I wanted them fitted correctly...

IMG_5049.jpg
You're thinking, hey they looks spot on but....

IMG_5048.jpg
This image shows where the two pieces should meet flawlessly, they left a gap that to me looked like a poorly fitted mid 90's MAX POWER body kit, we're going for factory OEM install here guys.

So... I took the decision to slowly remove the the kit, the glue (Sikaflex) gave out like hard gum and I was able to peel and slice with a craft knife as I went, it came off and I cleaned up the bumper.

Now I have to refit.

I basically used the dobs of the glue on the back of the parts, stuck them in place and used thick string gaff tape to ensure they were correctly positioned.

At this point once again I ran out of time for the day so had to spend a week with tape all over the front of the car, it looked like a Mad Max car (lucky I don't rive it to work...)

The glue cured and I peeled off the tape and bang it looked awesome, I have some glue to peel off here and there but it looks great at this point.

The remaining side flicks and under fins are fitted with some black silicon to help them seat on the body work and then screwed in place just like the real Aero kit.

I intend to black out the visible bolt heads with black paint but that's easy.

See below for the finished job, as I mention, I still have some clean up work to do here and there and the car needs a detail but I am well impressed...

IMG_5166.jpg
IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg
IMG_5169.jpg

The gaps all look right and I managed to get most of the positioning from images, I am happy with how it came out, I love the glass back finish.

I am not at all trying to make my 220d into a AMG45 clone, I just love the Aero kit.

I wasn't easy to fit and would have preferred a body shop to have done it for me but I HAD to make sure it was installed and looked right, so for me doing it myself was fun, felt like I was taking chances and was a great learning experience, and I know how some of the CLA fits together.

I'm not sure anyone else on the forum has done this, I'm thinking I'm at least one of the first.

I hope this helps spur others on to do it.

DB

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PART 4... Last Part...

I've emailed a few forum members who I thought have been interested in an AMG Aero kit for their non AMG 45 and as you can see I've successfully fitted mine, it took a bit of work but its amazing, it's exactly the same as the MARS Automotive from AUS.

http://marsperformance.com.au/Gloss-...AMG-Package-16

As mentioned this isn't 100% plug and play but its very doable if you have the tools (or a handy body shop) Some parts need tabs cutting and sticking, some clip straight on, but it looks like the real deal.

I am speaking to a supplier and trying to work out a deal with them.

If any members are interested I could direct ship to you for a decent price. PM me for details.

I'm might start selling these on the forum if the interest is there.

Let me know.

DB

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please post your thoughts on the look, the install or any other the above lost post...

Negative or positive s'all good.

DB

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow that is a lot of work. Well to be fair, to me taking off the front bumper itself is a lot of work.
I think I definitely would look for something like this if I actually liked the AMG sport styling.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ha, it did seem alot of work but looking back on it, it just seemed tough because I was working it out as I went...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am in the process of doing this to a 2016 CLA with a 2018 bumper, did you glue them together or is it better to use screws/drill holes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
For me the new Aero Kit looks "ok" but I'm looking for something more agressive ... with no result. In my opinion the pre-lift version of the front bumper looks way better than this one especially with the front spoiler (for example revozport or this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/W117-c117-...MG-skirt-wing-spoiler-gt-brabus-/132133836527 ). Anyone know if there is something similar for the CLA 2017 lift version and where to find it??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, some people will like this and other not, but if you want the best looking OEM, then this is it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Helvetica

I used a mixture of self taping screws and sikaflex bonding.

If you want to talk through the best way let me know and I'll gladly give you more of an idea, PM me.

What does yours look like pre-fit?

DB

·
Registered
95 Posts
@Helvetica

I used a mixture of self taping screws and sikaflex bonding.

If you want to talk through the best way let me know and I'll gladly give you more of an idea, PM me.

What does yours look like pre-fit?

DB
Currently waiting for hardware and software to install my LED lights from halogen before doing my bumper stuff & they sent me the 2 of the right side and now searching for the right part for the missing side, looks like this as of now

View attachment 57073

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Awesome job thanks for taking the pics and details on the install. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
PART 4... Last Part...

I've emailed a few forum members who I thought have been interested in an AMG Aero kit for their non AMG 45 and as you can see I've successfully fitted mine, it took a bit of work but its amazing, it's exactly the same as the MARS Automotive from AUS.

http://marsperformance.com.au/Gloss-...AMG-Package-16

As mentioned this isn't 100% plug and play but its very doable if you have the tools (or a handy body shop) Some parts need tabs cutting and sticking, some clip straight on, but it looks like the real deal.

I am speaking to a supplier and trying to work out a deal with them.

If any members are interested I could direct ship to you for a decent price. PM me for details.

I'm might start selling these on the forum if the interest is there.

Let me know.

DB
hey mate,

Just came across this forum/post. How much was this kit?

cheers,
dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts