Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so this has worried me extremely since I live in a place where theres tons of snow.
Ground clearance
CLA 3.9 inchs
Porsche Boxster 4.1 inches.
C63 almost 5 inches.
Bmw 3/4 series 5.7 inches.
GTI 5 inchs.

Is this reason to be concerned or no? Also do you think the CLA 45 AMG will have higher ground clearance? Truthfully the answer here might decide whether or not I get a BMW or the CLA 45 AMG since I'll be using it in the winter

·
Registered
534 Posts
I drive my cars year round snow tires are essential - even with all wheel drive.

Performance summer tires don't like cold weather, let alone ice and snow.

In the past I've had 3 BMW Z4's and 3 Audi TT's all low ground clearance - no problems as long as the snow is fresh (not crusted ice) and your city plows the streets (BTW I lived in Calgary for 2 years many years ago).

This past January we had 4 feet of snow in one dump, here in Ct - no amount of ground clearance will tackle that.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Agree with Aud4t. Jak you're only issue would be the old crusted chunks of snow/ice. I'm sure in Edmonton the plowing isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well then I'm screwed cause they don't plow the snow on my road at all lol.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yea, I noticed the low ground clearance too. It does concern me.

I had a low clearance car once and I know snow plows don't always come out right away. So my car was left to "plow" the snow in a few instances. That can't be good for the tranny because it wasn't designed for that extra loading.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In the UK the sport has more ground clearance than the sport AMG or AMG Sport whatever way around it is . The AMG sport is lowered and has stiffer suspension. I can't see the proper CLA45 AMG being any higher in terms if ground clearance.

I have had the front parking sensors beep at me when negotiating a speed hump in the road so guessed the car was rather low to the ground.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuck my life. If thats true then I might have to switch to BMW, cause whats the point of getting a car when I'm just going to wreck the bumper and possibly not be able to drive in winter.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Fuck my life. If thats true then I might have to switch to BMW, cause whats the point of getting a car when I'm just going to wreck the bumper and possibly not be able to drive in winter.
Jak could something happen, yes. It doesn't mean it's going to. Something could happen in the BMW or Lexus or whatever other car you're considering. You have to learn how to drive cars that sit alittle lower. Take ramps at an angle,speed bumps and so on. See now you're wishing the gap that was used on the door should of been used to increase your ride height. ?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jak could something happen, yes. It doesn't mean it's going to. Something could happen in the BMW or Lexus or whatever other car you're considering. You have to learn how to drive cars that sit alittle lower. Take ramps at an angle,speed bumps and so on. See now you're wishing the gap that was used on the door should of been used to increase your ride height. ��

Ramps etc arent the issue. Its the humongous snow thats the issue lol, and for that 2 inches can make a big difference D:. And I blame all of this on the gap!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
You're talking about an inch or so of difference between the cars. It's low to the ground for sure but I wouldn't breath a sigh of relief if I bought a 3/4 series instead. If you bought any of the cars you listed you'd need to be mindful of driving in deep snow. My Volvo has 5" of clearance and like Audi4t, I've owned/driven a Z3 and TT in the snow (heavy in some cases) here in New England. You just need to keep in mind that you're not driving a Jeep. If there's a foot of snow on the ground any of the cars you described is going to be plowing through it with its front end.

In the case of the CLA, I think you/we need to be more aware of right height when it comes to ingress/egress in parking lots, driveways, etc. in ANY weather since the body kit protrudes quite a but from the front bumper.

-Eric

·
Registered
230 Posts
kurwa mać....move to Florida, like I did.
Got sick of shoveling that white stuff in Canada and digging it out of the ice. Plus all the taxes up there, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ja pierdole. Might just do that but I've been insulting the u.s for so long so I get the feeling that I wouldn't fit in D;. Also the CLA is 3.9 inches while the BMW is 5.7 inches. Big diff. My gti is 5 inches exactly and well I just barely make it with it except for on blizzard like days that's the thing that worries me lol cause you know one inch lower then I might as well be a snow plower :p... Well at least the neighbors would love me then lol

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Ramps etc arent the issue. Its the humongous snow thats the issue lol, and for that 2 inches can make a big difference D:. And I blame all of this on the gap!
Basically I'm saying we have to be more careful and alert for things in the road. Bring the COSMOS down to NY. Lol

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically I'm saying we have to be more careful and alert for things in the road. Bring the COSMOS down to NY. Lol

Haha can I move in with you then?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you gotta become a ranger fan though and bring Eberle with you too.

I like the Rangers but like Washington the best lol

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Explain not being an oilers fan. Smh��

Just dont like them haha :p. Didn't like them since Laraque left

1 - 20 of 39 Posts