Mercedes CLA Forum banner

CLA Lease Quote / First time Dealership Experience

10K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  maksim 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to my local Mercedes-Benz dealership yesterday. It's a Ray Catena dealership located in Edison, New Jersey. I'm a 22 year old, fresh graduate, and this is the first time I'm actually going to a dealership looking to purchase a car. I currently drive a '98 SLK and it's been having some problems, so I'm looking to graduate (no pun intended) into a CLA-class. Anyway, I walk into the dealership (surprised to find a girl that I went to high school with was the receptionist) and I found the CLA.

The CLA is a good looking car. I'm about 5'11"-6' around 250 pounds, definitely not skinny, but not completely overweight either, I guess I would call myself chunky. Anyway, I fit in the driver's seat really well. Nice and roomy, comfortable to drive and sit in. I adjusted my seat to the way I would like it, and then I went to the back seat to see how much room was left. Got in the seat behind the driver, and to my surprise, I actually fit quite well. Leg room was alright, I had a little space to work with. Head room was alright, my hair grazed the ceiling here and there. Definitely wouldn't be comfortable to be in during a long drive for someone my size. But nonetheless, I was impressed that I fit in the backseat. Trunk space, I was impressed. I wasn't expecting a big trunk, but I was surprised and it is a pretty decent size. The overall car was great. Design, interior, everything. Honestly, I instantly fell in love with it. Pretty good experience so far, right? Well, here's where it takes its turn.

I soon was then met with a sales man that already knew my name (and I was surprised when he called it out. I'm assuming that the girl I knew from high school told him my name). He introduced himself and asked if I had any questions. Ask him a couple of questions, but his responses were kind of brief and he just didn't seem interested. He stood around while I looked at the car some more, and he wasn't really engaging me in any kind of conversation. Then, in the middle of me taking a look at the car, he left to answer questions for a couple that looked like they were in their mid-30s and looking at a C-class. That kind of made me upset since I had some further questions of the car. It seemed like the salesman didn't take me seriously. He was probably thinking "what's this 20-something year old doing in a Mercedes dealership? Probably can't even afford one and he's wasting my time".

I finally wanted to discuss some prices, and I approached the girl that I went to high school with saying that I was working with this guy, but he's helping someone else now. She went on the intercom and called him over. We then went to his desk and he asked me what my timeframe was. Told him probably in the next month or so. He sat down, printed out a page of a quote that he did for someone else earlier in the day, gave it to me, and said, "This has some options in it. Take out whatever you don't like, and add in whatever you do like, adjust the price and that'll be it." Then that was it. It's as if he expected to give me that paper and walk out. He really didn't take me seriously. I proceeded to ask him further questions about leasing, trading in my car, etc. He answered them, but was very abrupt. I pretty much had it with him, and I didn't want to deal with him any more so I just got up and left. Here's the quote that I got from the sales man:

CLA 250
- Premium Package
- Sport Package
- Spoiler
- Nav
- Pano sunroof
- Xenon headlights
- some other options

Car + destination came out to be $39,8xx. $2200 due at signing for taxes, title, registration and I'm guessing first month's payment (This is $0 down). $499/month (with taxes) for 36 months at 10k miles. Residual he gave me was 66% (although I know it should be 67%) and money factor was 0.00162. Tried to negotiate the price down a little, but the salesman wouldn't budge. (Also while I was looking at the CLA, I overheard a family trying to negotiate the price down on a lease too, but that salesman didn't budge either. It's a brand new car, wasn't really expecting them to discount it by that much.)

The CLA is a great, entry level car. It looks great and the interior is every bit a Mercedes. But for $499/month, I might as well go with a C-class or 3 Series. I couldn't pull the trigger because 1) I don't think I should be paying $499 a month for a car that starts at $29,900 and 2) because the salesman that I had never took me seriously, and wasn't doing his job. I don't expect a salesman to wine and dine me, but he should show interest in selling a car, and should have the initiative to answer all my questions, and take me seriously.

Overall, my first experience was okay. Great car, high pricing, poor customer service. I apologize for the long story, but just wanted to share my experience with everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are 3 dealerships close/in Denver. I had visited all if them and the attention is not the same everywhere. Sometimes it is sad that a Mercedes Benz dealership have people that don't know how to introduce themselves, how to speak correctly or how to sell n expensive car. Westminster is a great place. The people that work there really know how to make you feel good. And, the most important, they explain you everything. I'm 24, and just moved to the US, so I can really understand you. Go to a different dealership and get what you want! And forget about him.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input! Yeah, this dealership is about an 8 minute drive from where I live, and they also have a service center right next to it, so I would really like to buy one from them. Also, my dad bought his E-class from that dealership a decade ago, and he got great service. I know there are probably good salesmen in that dealership, I just interacted with someone who is a bad salesman. The next nearest Mercedes dealership is about 30 miles away. Might give them a try, or maybe go take a look at a BMW 3 series.

#7 ·
Ayobonus: I told you you have a good honest lease offer. It is as good as it will get. Other dealers may charge you more and be just as indifferent. You never know.
Part of the reason is your age. They figured at 22, you probably don't have tier 1 credit or make minimum of $80k a year to qualify for the lease. He would be surprised when he finds out
you are employee #1 at Twitter and about to make $100 million next month when Twitter goes public...:)

#19 ·
If you agree to the deal; then you got a great deal. No one forces anyone to sign anything. Always be respectful we have to make a living as well.

#23 ·
I actually went to local BMW dealer and sale guy there was much nicer, pretty much helpful. I was looking between CLA or 328. I like CLA style better but just can't live with $550 or $720/month for that car. I understand that's demand-supply problem, but isn't that too high?

#34 ·
Here are the guidelines:

1) New or CPO Car Only
2) Total Cap not to be greater then $45,000.
3) Graduate of an accredited college with a 4-year undergraduate degree, graduate degree, or registered nursing degree earned within the previous 24 months.
4) Copy of the diploma or official transcripts
5) Proof of Income required - Last 3 months of bank statments or recent check stubs.
6) 24 months mininum of established credit on file
7) Gross debt to income ratio not to exceed 50%.
8) Tier 2 or better score required.

#36 ·
There is no discount applied to this. If you have Fleet then you can combine it.

#38 ·
That really is a very fair offer if you still want the CLA over another brand/model. This is the best offer after 5 hours of back and forth trying to get to a $500 monthly payment.
MSRP: $39,825
acquisition fee: $795
pre-paid maintenance, 2 years: $429
sales tax: $2,489.06
total of fees: $365.14

48 months
10,000 miles

Their offer:
residual: $22,542
money factor: ?
down: $2,500
monthly: $547

#39 ·
I am looking to get rid of my 2009 328 coupe, and was looking at the CLA. I love the looks and gas mileage, and base price...but the lease rates.... nuts.

Quite honestly, unless you want the CLA... there is no reason to lease it. $500 a month you can get a very nice bmw 5 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.