Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cla 250 2015 at 80000 miles no warranty .
is there any expensive issues any cla owners have ? I should expect ???

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi Ash11,
Suggested Starting Point: - Review the maintenance/repair history.
There should be at least one per year, where your CLA has been checked and serviced.
If you cannot establish the history through paperwork, pull a CarFax report.
__

Other members with similar mileage will also comment on their unique experiences.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was just wondering about any cla 250 issues that other cla members had to deal with

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Common issues:
1. Roof clear coat deterioration.
2. Damaged spark plug coil.
3. Cracked air intake scoop.
4. Failing thermostat.
5. Failing water pump.
6. Damaged sway bar links.
7. Cracked coolant reservoir.
8. Damaged engine mounts.

Common maintenance requirements
1. Oil
2. Oil filter
3. Engine air filter
4. Cabin filter
5. Spark plugs
6. Tires (balance and alignment)
7. Coolant
8. Serpentine belt
9. Washer fluid
10. Main starter AGM battery
11. Aux AGM battery

.....among others. Repairs are relatively expensive. But maintenance is generally easier like oil change, which is easier in the CLA vs a Toyota.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sway bar links?!

Any details on this?
Mercedes calls it torsion bar links. If you check my post on the serpentine belt replacement you can see the rubber boot on the sway bar link torn and grease leaked out. Replaced both front with Lemforder brand from Pelican. The rear is still intact.If you jack up your car and you can move the links, it most likely needs replacement already.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Wow! So far mine are ok
Yours really got beat up ...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Glad the water pump was on the list. Mine failed at 37,800 miles and unless you are very experienced, the job will need to go to the dealer for something over 1 K. BTW, carfax is not all that useful. I have a 1993 Nissan 300ZX with a clean carfax and a 93 or 94 engine in it and showing previous moderate damage to the front left side.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Glad the water pump was on the list. Mine failed at 37,800 miles and unless you are very experienced, the job will need to go to the dealer for something over 1 K. BTW, carfax is not all that useful. I have a 1993 Nissan 300ZX with a clean carfax and a 93 or 94 engine in it and showing previous moderate damage to the front left side.
I still have my original water pump and thermostat @ 90k miles now. But my coolant temp gets erratic sometimes so one or both is nearing its end of life. My car can run hot @ 105-106 coolant temp.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the thermostat replacement is on a par with the water pump. Buried under the intake in the back of the engine with numerous connections. The failure of the water pump is an all or nothing deal, at least for me. Is it possible the sensor is bad? I think the thermostat might show a code on a scanner even if it hasn't turned on the check engine light as it has an electrical connection. The water pump valve that fails is operated with vacuum.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I still have my original water pump and thermostat @ 90k miles now. But my coolant temp gets erratic sometimes so one or both is nearing its end of life. My car can run hot @ 105-106 coolant temp.
Wow thats a good long life for those parts!
Your temps are about right ... even on long stable drives in see 75~105 swing range but nice and slow

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Wow thats a good long life for those parts!
Your temps are about right ... even on long stable drives in see 75~105 swing range but nice and slow
Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2014 CLA 250 new and it’s my daily driver to work. Right now I’ve got 148k miles on it and still drives like new. I’ve put both front and rear brake pads in it (replaced front at 120k and just did rears at 145k). Other than the brake pads and very regular oil changes every 10k miles, I haven’t had to anything. I just had my 4th set of tires put on it. Going for 200k miles maintenance free.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I bought my 2014 CLA 250 new and it’s my daily driver to work. Right now I’ve got 148k miles on it and still drives like new. I’ve put both front and rear brake pads in it (replaced front at 120k and just did rears at 145k). Other than the brake pads and very regular oil changes every 10k miles, I haven’t had to anything. I just had my 4th set of tires put on it. Going for 200k miles maintenance free.
At that age, I highly recommend doing 5K FS oil change intervals if you plan to do a 200k milestone.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
glad to know it’s possible for the cla to last 150k miles
Depends on how it was maintained during that first 80K miles.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You are indeed the blessed one!
Gotta keep us posted on your path to 300k
You use oil from god something?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
At that age, I highly recommend doing 5K FS oil change intervals if you plan to do a 200k milestone.

Totally agree. 5K oil changes (or at least every 6 months) will go very far in keeping the engine running well. My CLA is at 70K miles now, and I change the oil/filter every 4 months (or at change of season).

Reactions: Picard
1 - 20 of 23 Posts