Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local dealership to see the CLA first hand. I am still in an Infiniti G37 lease so I am not ready to buy just yet. Therefore, I didn’t bother them with a test drive. However, I did take some pictures of the CLA next to my G37, a C sedan, and an E sedan.

I think from the front the CLA is much better looking than any of the other cars. From the rear I like it better than my G. However, I like the E rear better than the CLA.

The side profile was the only thing that I wasn’t super keen on. It looks like the door height is very high on the CLA when compared to the C class car. It is not bad just not quite what I was expecting.

What does everyone think? Will this car turn heads?

P1320610.JPG P1320613.JPG P1320615.JPG P1320616.JPG P1320617.JPG P1320622.JPG P1320623.JPG P1320625.JPG

Reactions: imaputz

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
nice pics.. thanks
from certain angles it doesnt look small at all.. how would you say the size physiaclly compares to your G37? Does it look signifiantly smaller in person or about the same?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice pics.. thanks
from certain angles it doesnt look small at all.. how would you say the size physiaclly compares to your G37? Does it look signifiantly smaller in person or about the same?
Honestly it looked the same. In fact from some angles it looks like the CLA is bigger because the door line is so high. Before I saw it I thought we were talking about a civic sized car or maybe an RX8. It looks more like a slightly shorter CLS.

I think MB is going to make a killing off of this car. It will get people to buy into MB and probably upgrade to a C class when the kids get bigger and before they run off to college and the funds run out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say that if they had a G37 and the CLA next to each other with all of the options I wanted and you told me they were the exact same price I would still pick the CLA. That should tell you something because I have had leased 3 G sedans over the last 8 years.

I probably would take a 3 series BMW over the CLA if they were the exact same price for equivalent features. I had a 330i before the G sedans and I loved that car. However, it had too many electrical problems so I had to get rid of it. I think they have solved most of those issues now though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Right now, I'm trying to decide between a 24 month lease of a G37 at steal rates vs a 36 month lease of a CLA. Some of the numbers I've seen floated around (I'm about to start my dealership negotiating next week) with a security deposit put 2013 G37s at half the monthly rates of a CLA. Because the discount on G37s is so huge with the new Q50 entering the picture, the sale price is discounted heavily (10%+ off MSRP) with a low money factor (.00008) and high residual (70%+).

But I love the CLA....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Q out now I would be expecting more like 15%-17% off on the G37. Seriously nobody will want the G sedan now that the newer Q is out. The G37 is still a great car and I will happily drive mine for the next 6 months. However, the Q will absolutely ruin the G’s resale value even though both cars are very similar.

That 70% residual is good but not astronomical considering it is 24 months. The money factor is very good but that is what I got with the first G I ever leased and it was a brand new model.

It would probably be better to get a huge amount off the MSRP than to have a better MF. However, you would have to crunch the numbers to be sure of that.

I drove by the Infiniti dealership on my way to the MB dealership. They had an absurd number of Q sedans in stock. More than I could count while driving by. Considering they also had as many G sedans for sale I would think that they would give the G sedans away as door prizes.

I got a letter in the mail a few months ago saying that they would basically forgive all of the rest of my payments(Almost 1 year) if I leased another G sedan before the Q came out. I didn’t take them up on the offer because I knew I would want a CLA or a Q more.

If I really wanted to save money I would just go get a Kia. Those things appear to be a great value. However, I would much rather have a great car for a reasonable amount. The CLA definitely appears to fit that bill. The G37 probably would be about the same but I just don’t want to get 18 mpg anymore.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like you can’t get all of the options and packages with the G37 anymore. You can’t get the sport model so I simply wouldn’t buy it. I only like the looks of the sport model.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Agree with your comment regarding the rear of the E looking better than the CLA...love the CLA front but the rear not so much...

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the Q out now I would be expecting more like 15%-17% off on the G37. Seriously nobody will want the G sedan now that the newer Q is out. The G37 is still a great car and I will happily drive mine for the next 6 months. However, the Q will absolutely ruin the G’s resale value even though both cars are very similar.

That 70% residual is good but not astronomical considering it is 24 months. The money factor is very good but that is what I got with the first G I ever leased and it was a brand new model.

It would probably be better to get a huge amount off the MSRP than to have a better MF. However, you would have to crunch the numbers to be sure of that.

I drove by the Infiniti dealership on my way to the MB dealership. They had an absurd number of Q sedans in stock. More than I could count while driving by. Considering they also had as many G sedans for sale I would think that they would give the G sedans away as door prizes.

I got a letter in the mail a few months ago saying that they would basically forgive all of the rest of my payments(Almost 1 year) if I leased another G sedan before the Q came out. I didn’t take them up on the offer because I knew I would want a CLA or a Q more.

If I really wanted to save money I would just go get a Kia. Those things appear to be a great value. However, I would much rather have a great car for a reasonable amount. The CLA definitely appears to fit that bill. The G37 probably would be about the same but I just don’t want to get 18 mpg anymore.
I said 10% just because I haven't actually contacted anyone, but yes I've seen 15-17% off as well. The residual I saw was 73%. So with just a $1200 security deposit, its around $240 for a 2 year lease on a $38k MSRP G37.

As much as I like the CLA, I think I will like the GLA's utility more. So the G37 might serve as a stopgap for me to get to a 2nd year GLA.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a sticker in case anyone wanted to see those details. 26 and 38 mpg sound great to me.

P1320621.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts