Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the CLA is a new model and MB isn't the highest on consumerreports.com ratings, how will the CLA be overall as a brand new model?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quality is a very complex subject. I like to break it into two types of quality: 1) fit-finish quality and 2) reliability quality. Mercedes has a good track record with fit-finish. Plus, the pictures don't look like they cheapened things. Regarding reliability quality, it'll probably be just like every other German car's reliability. That means it'll be fine if you're under warranty but once your warranty expires expect things to break and be prepared to pay Mercedes prices to fix them. IMO, you're not going to get Honda reliability out of any of the big three German companies. But that subject that can be debated for pages and pages. The easy solution to that is to lease and always own the car while under mfr warranty.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quality is a very complex subject. I like to break it into two types of quality: 1) fit-finish quality and 2) reliability quality. Mercedes has a good track record with fit-finish. Plus, the pictures don't look like they cheapened things. Regarding reliability quality, it'll probably be just like every other German car's reliability. That means it'll be fine if you're under warranty but once your warranty expires expect things to break and be prepared to pay Mercedes prices to fix them. IMO, you're not going to get Honda reliability out of any of the big three German companies. But that subject that can be debated for pages and pages. The easy solution to that is to lease and always own the car while under mfr warranty.
I'll take German quality with regards to small displacement Diesel engines any day of the week. With regular gas (petrol) -- its a different story. But Generally JoeyO, I agree with your assessment. It looks like MB used high quality pieces on the interior -- the fit and finish looks excellent. Even though it is a low dollar item car (comparatively speaking to other MB models) -- you'll still get the great Mercedes service.

So, I'd say spring for the extended warranty, treat your dealer right and you'll never have to worry about a thing for about 10 years ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never leased a car. I currently own a Toyota suv (2005). I have not had car payments for the last 3 years. My suv has 90k miles so I don't think leasing would work for me since I live 5 min from work which means O would have low miles.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have never leased a car. I currently own a Toyota suv (2005). I have not had car payments for the last 3 years. My suv has 90k miles so I don't think leasing would work for me since I live 5 min from work which means O would have low miles.
You can buy the car and just get the extended warranty -- no need for a lease. I've never leased a vehicle myself either. I prefer to purchase, put a good amount down (at the very minimum) and stay ahead equity wise.

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you get a lease with an option to buy then thats the way i would go because you can get in with little money down...
i did that with my 07 Pewter (dark silver grey) got in the lease for 2500 and my monthly payment was around 300... was able to buy it out for 18000 and its still holding its value today...
this way i didnt have to come up with 27000 at the time and got in for cheap...
my insurance was a bit higher but since i had a good driver record it helped me...
anyways.. just saying...

ps..
also if you own a biz u can write off miles and insurance and car paymts... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll take German quality with regards to small displacement Diesel engines any day of the week. With regular gas (petrol) -- its a different story. But Generally JoeyO, I agree with your assessment. It looks like MB used high quality pieces on the interior -- the fit and finish looks excellent. Even though it is a low dollar item car (comparatively speaking to other MB models) -- you'll still get the great Mercedes service.

So, I'd say spring for the extended warranty, treat your dealer right and you'll never have to worry about a thing for about 10 years ;)
Good point here, German quality still outweighs everything for me even with a diesel engine

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since the CLA is a new model and MB isn't the highest on consumerreports.com ratings, how will the CLA be overall as a brand new model?
Actually, M-B has been working really hard to get its reliability ratings up and seems to be succeeding. For example, the current C Class gets a "Better than average" (half red circle) for predicted reliability based on thousands of owners' recent experience.

And while the CLA250 will be a new model to North America, its mechanical underpinnings are the same as the A Class and B Class, which have been sold elsewhere for several years -- so the company has had lots of time to get the bugs out. That said, I would still feel more comfortable giving Mercedes six months or a year of experience with the North American version of the CLA before buying one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The old A and B Class have exactly zero in common with the new ones, so whatever reliability record you think may go with them (my own experience is not great), it won't apply to the CLA. The new A/B/CLA are all new inside and out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The old A and B Class have exactly zero in common with the new ones, so whatever reliability record you think may go with them (my own experience is not great), it won't apply to the CLA. The new A/B/CLA are all new inside and out.
How long have the new A and B Classes been on the market?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't go by Consumer Reports results. For the European cars, they often have terrific ratings for the first and second year after a new model has been released, but after the third and fourth year, the rankings tank. They tank a lot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The new B Class came out in 2012, as did the new A Class. It will take a few years to get meaningful reliability data on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When will we start to read about the first driving evaluations of the CLA? When will Car and Driver or others be able to get to drive the car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quality is a very complex subject. I like to break it into two types of quality: 1) fit-finish quality and 2) reliability quality.
I hope this isn't like the ML series when it just came out in 1998. The ML had neither fit-finish quality nor reliability. My relative's ML had problems from day 1, which the dealership could not fix. The original ML thought had great "ride/handling/comfort/space" combination compared to the SUVs at that time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I hope this isn't like the ML series when it just came out in 1998. The ML had neither fit-finish quality nor reliability. My relative's ML had problems from day 1, which the dealership could not fix. The original ML thought had great "ride/handling/comfort/space" combination compared to the SUVs at that time.
That was an opportune time for MB to create a name for themselves w/ the SUV craze in North America as well as hardly any competition at the time (no premium/luxury SUVs from BMW & Audi, only limited selection of truck-based SUVs from Lexus & Infiniti).

History repeats itself now for MB, as they can once again create a name for themselves w/ the CLA. This market-segment is new, fresh, and ripe for the taking. I believe MB will execute perfectly this time around. Well, other than their lag w/ dealer information, online configurator, and demo vehicles. I'd rather dissemination of pre-release information be the issue rather than downstream quality issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That was an opportune time for MB to create a name for themselves w/ the SUV craze in North America as well as hardly any competition at the time (no premium/luxury SUVs from BMW & Audi, only limited selection of truck-based SUVs from Lexus & Infiniti).
Agree. On luxury SUVs at that time, your only choices were the MB ML, Lexus RX, Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser and I can't remember what Infiniti had. Ranger Rovers were every expensive and unreliable. Lexus RX was too girlie and still is. Land Cruiser did not seem fit in the Toyota line up given that they pushed it really up stream. So, it really was MB ML, the real SUV choice that was "reasonable" for a guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts