Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
You must do what you feel is right for you. When I'm buying a big ticket item, I look at everything from reviews and test results to real world results (test drives). Personally (and don't hate me), I will not buy a US or Canadian made vehicle for reasons I don't want to go into. Notice I said North American built which includes Acura, Lexus and BMW, not just the "big 3" cars.

If you feel that the Verano has a better "bang for the buck" and you would be happy with your purchase, then buy it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm on my second Honda assembled in Canada (Alliston, ON, I believe)--an '08 Civic that I put 88K miles on before trading it in, and currently a '12 Civic with 25K miles, and absolutely nothing went or has gone wrong on either car, not even rattles or other niggling things. Also, my wife has been driving an '04 Toyota Sienna van, assembled in Indiana, and in nine years and about 190K miles, the only thing (other than normal wear items) that has malfunctioned on it was one of the lift struts on the rear hatch/door failed after about five years, and who knows where that was made? My experience with German cars (VW, Audi, and BMW) has not be nearly as good. So, I for one, would not be concerned about Hondas and Toyotas (and by extension Acuras and Lexi) assembled in North America.

Just my $0.02.
Ha ha, I'm in the exact opposite boat. You bring up good and valid points. My 1980 made in Germany Jetta, 1992 made in Japan Honda Civic and 2003 made in Germany C240 are all great cars, but my 1999 made in the US Saturn and my 2002 made in Canada Acura EL were crap. I guess it depends on what vehicle you get that will help determine future vehicle purchases. I will not buy another Civic because it's made on the same assembly line as my crappy Acurs EL in Alliston, ON. Should I give it another chance? Maybe, but at this time, I'm not willing to spend that much money on a vehicle that I had issues with in the past. Of course, that isn't to say I won't have issues with my next car which will be made in Hungary or Germany.

Also, I'm not saying cars made in NA are not good nor am I saying the workers aren't good as well, I'm just saying that I don't buy NA cars based on experience. I may change that outlook one day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts