Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have searched for similar case but haven't found. I own CLA200, 2013. I obviously don't have CarPlay or command online. I am wondering if it's possible to replace the radio (or what does it take) to a newer version of NTG and will it allow me to use CarPlay?

I have this type of radio (it says NTG 4.5 (1CD))

And I was thinking about buying this used radio. It says NTG5*1 CD

My question is if it's possible to make this replacement and will it actually change the NTG version and will it allow my car to use CarPlay?
Or what else would it take except radio replacement to upgrade the NTG and finally get this CarPlay functionality.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
there is an extensive thread ..... but it's fairly not for the faint hearted :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking about this as well, I have read through the whole thread from jmc. I understand why it is so hard to retrofit.

Also, I think it may be outdated since it is thread from 2016 and the whole electronic industry is going forward really fast. As you can notice on aliexpress/ebay/fedju etc. there are many 8", 10" up to 12" screens available.

If you look up CarPlay, it shows a dongle which needs to be connected to ANDROID AUTO only, to get it work.

As I was checking, when you order screen like that, it comes with cables etc. so the replacement of the screen should be plug and play.

If I think about it, then the screen should be enough to get the CarPlay working. As with the screen comes USB cable which you will need to pull out to a accessible place, lets say the compartment box. You will need to plug the Carplay dongle to the usb in compartment box. When I think about it, it should work, I can imagine that the CarPlay dongle should communicate with the Screen itself and not with the COMMAN/RADIO UNIT.

So the main CarPlay thing would be happening on the screen itself and screen would only send audio to the COMMAND/RADIO UNIT.

This is all just my theory and it is not tested. Any comment on this is really welcome.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Two levels of integration ... segmented and transparent
The aftermarket stuff usually is segmented and uses and open port so supplants the oem and runs separately ... if one wants to ignore the oem functions that thats fine
For me I prefer the transparent option which merges or updates the api so its threaded into the oem ... which means updating from ntg4.5/4.7 to say 5s1/5s2 as I have not found an aftermarket solution that does not frankenstein my system
The firmware in 4.5/4.7 precludes carplay somehow ... guessing its cuz the media interface firmware/hardware is data only not gui (cf mp3 accepted but mp4 ignored)
I aint no api genius so sticking with cell phone as music source and nav backup ... which has worked fine so far. Tried the carplay maps ... dont like it too many selections just to zoom so stupid when a simple dial rotation does it, the map visuals are cluttered and gamey not fast glance capable so more distracting and frustrating, etc etc etc ... C/P and A/A are kindergarten levels of integration maturity imho kinda stop gaps just to say folks have options
But siri is a tad more flexible as she does more than maps even though she is localized to the phone and the oem system manages to integrate her responses well enough for typical use like verbal texts etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks jmc for your input. I understand now, I think I am going to buy the segmented type as you have mentioned. Anyway, I will try to do more research before buying and after I install it I will let you know how it went and what are the pros and cons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds amazing and congrats on that gsk. How much did it cost? Have you bought only the display and replaced it? I have one on order from ali just waiting on it but it will perfect. I dont see any major differences between the OEM and the one from ali except the screen ratio but much much easier to install than OEM carplay where you have to almost rebuild your whole dashboard XD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cost me around 400USD. It is not a screen. It's a device which you plug in to your OEM Radio but you have to take out the radio and install cables on the back. But I think that's the only way. Changing screen will give you shitty effect because it will not use the OEM radio amplifier and the sound quality will be much worse if you will use the AUX method - i have checked it myself, even bought the best aux cable on the market and still shitty sound. I have seen the screen replacement method but the screen comes with tonnes of cables like separate antenna, separate USB port, separate audio cable. I would not go this way as you will get really poor quality of sound, video and this feeling of "fake chinese product". The link I sent is the only and the best solution on the market right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@gsk_pl : really good points mate. Also does the wireless carplay work as it should? If yes, then this is the best possible CarPlay upgrade for ntg 4.5/4.7. I am thinking of canceling my order and order this one instead :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it works also via bluetooth. But make sure with reseller because there are 2 versions. The older one doesn't support bluetooth but the new one does.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
@gsk_pl
Your option seems like a better one than nost
And addresses quite a few of my concerns
Have to look into if its plays well with other canbus adapters as i already have one

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you guys think of this? X1PCS A1728201600. It started showing up in my ads this week. It looks promising but I wouldnt put my hand in fire for it. To me it looks like the OEM part which can be bought from the merc dealer afaik. But I dont know if it is only the socket or it has some functionality in it. Have you guys stumbled upon something similar?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts