Mercedes CLA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Also I think lane keeping as separate sensors on the side mirrors.
The Lane Keeping Assist camera is on the upper part of the windshield. Page 190 of the user's manual.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Good question...
That is exactly the question. There isn't consistency across the cars we are talking about. If the round black sensors in the lower griil are for CAP, why does BaconAle not have them. If it because he doesn't have the sports package, where are they, and why wouldn't they be where everyone else's are?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Maybe it is an option for something else on the sport package somewhere else. I am curious to see if the are actually plug. They look like very cheap to me...

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is exactly the question. There isn't consistency across the cars we are talking about. If the round black sensors in the lower griil are for CAP, why does BaconAle not have them. If it because he doesn't have the sports package, where are they, and why wouldn't they be where everyone else's are?
I'm going crazy with this! I spend too much time last night checking the manual and the internet for an answer... found nothing! I think our last resort is that someone asks his MB tech at their next service and provide us an answer. We should also ask why some (like BaconAle) don't have those two round sensors on their cars. Last theory: Is it possible that BaconAle has the parking assist sensors on his bumber and the CPA uses those sensors? I don't have parking assist so maybe that's why I have those two sensors on the lower grill?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm going crazy with this! I spend too much time last night checking the manual and the internet for an answer... found nothing! I think our last resort is that someone asks his MB tech at their next service and provide us an answer. We should also ask why some (like BaconAle) don't have those two round sensors on their cars. Last theory: Is it possible that BaconAle has the parking assist sensors on his bumber and the CPA uses those sensors? I don't have parking assist so maybe that's why I have those two sensors on the lower grill?
Isn't it fun to obsess over something like this? What good could we do if we put all this time and energy to something useful? Nah!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I checked out in person a '14 CLA without Sports Package and that car didn't have any sensors on the lower grill or any sensors for parking assist. It was a very basic CLA without much options other than Bi-Xenon from what I can tell just by looking at the exterior.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I checked out in person a '14 CLA without Sports Package and that car didn't have any sensors on the lower grill or any sensors for parking assist. It was a very basic CLA without much options other than Bi-Xenon from what I can tell just by looking at the exterior.
Ok, that matches BaconAle's non sport package '15. So, where are their CPA sensors, or are ours NOT CPA sensors? The plot thickens!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
So if the Collision Prevention Assist (CPA) is up on the windshield along with the rain sensor then what are the two round "sensors" on the bottom grill circled in my picture for?
do you have blind spot assist or parktronic or lane keeping assist?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The Lane Keeping Assist camera is on the upper part of the windshield. Page 190 of the user's manual.
Yeah, I realized that I confused with some other car.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Nope. Every option my car has is in my signature block.
Wow, then Id get it checked out.

Wouldnt it be funny, that they ran out of non-sensor sport bumper grills that they had to affix a sensor clad one with no actual module to use the sensor either by mistake or out of necessity?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Ok, that matches BaconAle's non sport package '15. So, where are their CPA sensors, or are ours NOT CPA sensors? The plot thickens!
OK, here's something to confuse things even more.... or perhaps help. I had Service B done recently and MB USA emailed me a survey about that experience which I filled out. In the survey they asked if I brought up any issues or concerns other than what's covered under the regular routine maintenance so I indicated that I mentioned the false alarms to the service associate. So I got a call yesterday from MB USA asking me about that so I repeated to her what I said to the service tech. Among other things she said the false alarms could be due to dirty sensors so I should try to keep them clean by wiping of the little square. At the time I didn't think much of it but after I hung up the phone with her I realized she said square instead of round like the pieces we assume are those sensors. So maybe we should be looking for square sensors or maybe she meant to say round and instead said square by mistake? More confusion.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow, then Id get it checked out.

Wouldnt it be funny, that they ran out of non-sensor sport bumper grills that they had to affix a sensor clad one with no actual module to use the sensor either by mistake or out of necessity?
This would be true if there are sport bumpers with no sensors (or what appears to be sensors) but so far every sport bumper have them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OK, here's something to confuse things even more.... or perhaps help. I had Service B done recently and MB USA emailed me a survey about that experience which I filled out. In the survey they asked if I brought up any issues or concerns other than what's covered under the regular routine maintenance so I indicated that I mentioned the false alarms to the service associate. So I got a call yesterday from MB USA asking me about that so I repeated to her what I said to the service tech. Among other things she said the false alarms could be due to dirty sensors so I should try to keep them clean by wiping of the little square. At the time I didn't think much of it but after I hung up the phone with her I realized she said square instead of round like the pieces we assume are those sensors. So maybe we should be looking for square sensors or maybe she meant to say round and instead said square by mistake? More confusion.
Oh no!!! This was the perfect occasion to resolve this enigma! You hung up before asking where the f_ck are those sensors! lol

We are still stuck and I'm even more confused... where is that "non-locomotive" engineer when we need one?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
where is that "non-locomotive" engineer when we need one?
I happen to be an engineer but I'm no help. No joke, when I was in college a girl from different college at a frat party asked "why do you have to go to college for 4 years to learn how to drive a train?".

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
This would be true if there are sport bumpers with no sensors (or what appears to be sensors) but so far every sport bumper have them.
I see, well then maybe the "sensors" or the illusions thereof are allusions to a feature available in non-US models? So far as I can tell US Sports vehicles have no special sensing abilities.

Or maybe what we think are sensors are actually just plastic rivets that look like sensors.

Im just throwing things out there, I of course do not have an example on hand to offer in depth reasoning.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I happen to be an engineer but I'm no help. No joke, when I was in college a girl from different college at a frat party asked "why do you have to go to college for 4 years to learn how to drive a train?".
That's the kind of girl I dreamed about meeting in college! My luck, all I found were intellectual giants.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Or maybe what we think are sensors are actually just plastic rivets that look like sensors.

Im just throwing things out there, I of course do not have an example on hand to offer in depth reasoning.
Sounds like post #25... 😄

41 - 60 of 83 Posts