Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to this forum and I can see that there are some very qualified knowledgeable Benz peeps here. My dilemma is this; I have a crack running across the entire length of my windshield and it’s clear it needs replacing. Do I go OE or aftermarket? I’d like to go aftermarket for cost purposes but I’m concerned about sensors in the windshield like light and rain sensors if that’s where they are, that I might need? Anybody here know if it’s a concern?

thank you

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The light amd rain sensors are not on the actual windshield. As long as you use an approved installer you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Welcome to the CLA Forum @UKladdie :)
What is your model year? Did you buy used from MB? How did it get cracked?

Reactions: UKladdie

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
EDIT
I see 2016, so you are sill under warranty?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Run a quick review search of oem vs aftermarket windscreen leaks after install

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the CLA Forum @UKladdie :)
What is your model year? Did you buy used from MB? How did it get cracked?
Thanks. Bought used and no idea how it cracked? Wife showed me one day and it was a surprise as there was no spidering or chip?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
@NewUser,
Welcome to the CLA Forum :)
Re: Your 2017 45AMG - Unfortunately, your post did not take...You were about to comment on the "Junge-Stemc Guarantee" when you were cut off from this Forum, so please try again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The OEM Benz windshield is pretty soft and breaks easily. It used to crack yearly for me. Had it replaced a couple of times by OEM glass, and then last time the installer talked me into Pilkington glass. The insurance company was pushing me towards using non-MB Oem glass as well. There was not much of a difference in cost.

Sensors, leakage etc. totally depend on how good a job the installer does.

You are way better off dropping off the car at a reputable windshield installer and having it done indoors. Having it done in the parking lot has a much higher chance of a botched install with resulting leaks, or sensor malfunction.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have just had mine replaced after a pesky Lexus driver fired a stone through the passenger side front windscreen on the highway. Long story short, I had it replaced under an Insurance claim (I get a free windscreen each year with no excess payable) through a 'reputable' installer preferred by my insurer. I waited a week to get in (the windscreen had to be sent up from Sydney), when it arrived it was broken, waited another week, they got it in ok however was told that their calibration software was not able to get my rain sensor and radar working again, apparantly my car was 'too late a model' for their equipment (it is coming up to 5 years old mind you...) and told me to go into MB to get it done (at their cost). I had to make another appointment at my local dealer, however, they got it sorted, gave me a loaner for the day, and put in a Mercedes ME adaptor to connect my vehicle to the ME App as a bonus. It was a long drawn-out process, but we finally got there, and by getting an updated OEM screen, I now have Gottleib Daimler's signature on my windscreen.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
..... ahhh all that for the dongle, signature, coffee, and donuts
Good show!
Love it you have a Lexus to blame it on, heh!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have added on insurance from a company that covers all deductible on comprehensive, and I had my windshield replaced three times, all due to stone chips , no cracks. And my insurance provider allows for original Mercedes windshield. The windshield installer ordered those windshields directly from Mercedes Germany, and all of them has the original "signature" at the bottom right hand corner.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Either that or they got those stickers from ebay
Kinda cool they ordered oem

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What is the cost of a windshield replacement ?
with insurance, nothing if your deductible is covered as well.

Without insurance, if you are getting Mercedes oem, I think with labour, CAD2000??? non-mercedes branded windshield is considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
with insurance, nothing if your deductible is covered as well.

Without insurance, if you are getting Mercedes oem, I think with labour, CAD2000??? non-mercedes branded windshield is considerably cheaper.
But when you renew your insurance, is it count as a claim ??

Mine is not broken, but have a lot of little rock chip, very annoying in the sun.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Mine is not broken, but have a lot of little rock chip, very annoying in the sun.
I used a typical diy chip/star/fracture filler kit
Trick is to be doubly patient to make sure the liquidy material has time to reach the terminal apexes of the fracture lines before pushing the car out into full sun to effect the final cure for >3hrs (do not start the engine nor drive else the differential stresses will dislodge the weaker portions of the adhesion points) and then just one swipe from the sharpest blade to level the repair zone after cooling back to room temp
Then after >7 days use a fine glass polish compound to shine up the repair area
My particular repair has held up (knock on glass!!) since june 2016 ... hope it stays that way

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
But when you renew your insurance, is it count as a claim ??

Here in Vancouver BC, it is counted as a claim on your car insurance, but a "not at fault" claim, hence no impact on insurance premiums if you choose to replace the whole windshield. With ICBC, the window repair shop has to indicate need to replace windshield, otherwise, ICBC will only pay for stone chip spot repair; else you will have to foot the whole bill for the windshield. Usually, there are some rules with this, like having more than a certain number of chips , size of chips and location of chips, before ICBC would permit full replacement. Even if the latter apply, you would have to pay the deductible amount. My extended extra insurance I bought, covered all aspects, and no questions asked about windshield replacement, reimburse the deductible paid to ICBC as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
..... ahhh all that for the dongle, signature, coffee, and donuts
Good show!
Love it you have a Lexus to blame it on, heh!!
I'm not sure, but I think it may have been @Rapidfirerob our friendly Rabbi showing off in his new F model.

An unfortunate update, but it turns out all the mucking around re-calibrating the screen sensors then killed my Auxiliary battery, back in to the Stealership next week for a replacement. In the meantime I have no side mirror warning lights, no brake hold function, no auto stop-start and whatever else the Aux battery runs. At least the vehicle still operates normally. I have taken the opportunity to bring forward my next service at the same time, but this is a biggie, the transmission service. Fingers (and legs) crossed that nothing else gets broken during the process.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts