Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
this may be kinda odd ... just tested out the new C300 ... still don't like it? i dunno ... maybe my cla has brainwashed me or something ... and still don't like the vertical flip switches much prefer the tactile press buttons less to bump into in normal driving (or in an accident where any protrusions suck)
yes it is a bit roomier? though it still does not flog around corners as well ... and its still kinda boring :cool:
maybe the >2021s will be more appealing
Normally, I find the C300 loaners under powered and just boring. But the minor refreshed 2019 model that I got looked better and had a bit more power. Carplay was great and the Burmester sound system was way better than the HK in our car. It also has 19 inch run flats that was quiet and rode much better than my 18 inch non-RFT. I guess I’m just a little tech envy. But it’s nice not having a car payment.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Normally, I find the C300 loaners under powered and just boring. But the minor refreshed 2019 model that I got looked better and had a bit more power. Carplay was great and the Burmester sound system was way better than the HK in our car. It also has 19 inch run flats that was quiet and rode much better than my 18 inch non-RFT. I guess I’m just a little tech envy. But it’s nice not having a car payment.
Yeah the latest C is a tad better than previous, though the HK when tweaked is pretty darn good at least compared to other cars in the segment. The C suspension is quite different than ours and a lot of the NVH is damped out (it has different geometry and resonances) but I tell ya it's a bit of a whale when pushed (the white face on the sales lady says it all) through the same curves, and it's a different sedan class anyway. Don't get me wrong for what it is the C is a nice car just doesn't have that buymebuyme feeling ... much like the new A class, just that little something is missing. Guess I will have to wait till the 2025 CLA ... :p

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
it depends on the source and material ... but do engage logic 7
the general tweaks are very limited - bass treble balance fade - but when done to suit ones seat position and hearing preferences, the music (and even a voice piece) pops
too bad we dont have time delay
same thing with the B system in the C ... have to tweak it else it also sounds like a kindergarten recess
most phones have spectrum analyzer apps and that helps a little but it really comes down to one's hearing response and preference
ever so often i use the dvd-a-5.1 version of hotel california to see if the settings are still good, if my hearing has degraded etc ... speaking of which i'm gonna miss their album replay at mgm vegas darn it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys. My CLA250 is just out of warranty and the rear diff is acting up. I was looking to swap in a rear diff off of a crashed CLA and see if it would fix it since Mercedes wants $5000 for the repair. My question is has anyone tried this yet? Is it plug and play or does Mercedes need to re-learn this replacement diff? Is it going to fully just reject this donor differential since its not "new" or "unmarried"? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I tried calling my local dealers for information and no one is picking up the phones..
Hi
yes i have the same problem with a 2016 CLA 250 . the dealer has just been dismissive but admits there is an international problem with the CLA
has anyone heard about a recall or any information about Mercedes admitting in righting there is a problem ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

First time on here...and man have I had problems with this car as well. I've got all the typical rear diff issues, but no modifications etc were made beforehand. No changes to anything. It started popping up on my wife's 2014 CLA a few months back and she kept driving it without telling me. Of course, it happened right after the warranty was done and Benz refused to do anything about it. I've seen service bulletins released about this that say to remove the sensor that tells the diff to engage/disengage for better traction. If the issue disappears, the bulletin says to replace the whole part. It's typically replaced with a remanufactured part. I was quoted about 6500 CAD - the car is barely worth 20k in perfect condition so this repair is difficult to justify. I had an independent shop remove the sensor and problems were gone - so definitely the differential. This sound / vibration is unholy. I had all 4 wheels straightened and checked for bends just in case they were contributing as well.

Since it was disconnected however, the car's acceleration, performance etc is way better. It now drives like it looks. I haven't bothered getting the diff replaced. What do you guys think? Anyone know if it'll cause any harm not replacing it? Essentially it's running on front wheel drive like a non-4-matic no? I'm thinking about just throwing on good snow tires and driving it until it's dead.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Am I causing any additional harm to the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi All,

First time on here...and man have I had problems with this car as well. I've got all the typical rear diff issues, but no modifications etc were made beforehand. No changes to anything. It started popping up on my wife's 2014 CLA a few months back and she kept driving it without telling me. Of course, it happened right after the warranty was done and Benz refused to do anything about it. I've seen service bulletins released about this that say to remove the sensor that tells the diff to engage/disengage for better traction. If the issue disappears, the bulletin says to replace the whole part. It's typically replaced with a remanufactured part. I was quoted about 6500 CAD - the car is barely worth 20k in perfect condition so this repair is difficult to justify. I had an independent shop remove the sensor and problems were gone - so definitely the differential. This sound / vibration is unholy. I had all 4 wheels straightened and checked for bends just in case they were contributing as well.

Since it was disconnected however, the car's acceleration, performance etc is way better. It now drives like it looks. I haven't bothered getting the diff replaced. What do you guys think? Anyone know if it'll cause any harm not replacing it? Essentially it's running on front wheel drive like a non-4-matic no? I'm thinking about just throwing on good snow tires and driving it until it's dead.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Am I causing any additional harm to the car?

Thanks!
I’m not sure what the longevity of your solution is, but a car worth $20k is still worth fixing an issue like this IMO. It would likely cost you more than $6,500 to pay another car that will be as reliable as the CLA after its fixed. As for reman, this is what the dealer installed in my car. The reman part was around $2,500 USD plus labor. I’m not sure why labor is so much. I don’t have a problem with reman because it’s possible that it would be better than the new one that came with the car.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Interesting ... the bad diff was a drag on the car
Guess the parasitics from the main drive shaft and twin cv shafts are not that bad?
A disconnected diff is as you noted just a fwd but with +200lb of awd parts
So you are not getting any error lights either?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This diff thing seems to be...a thing. I bought my CLA CPO at 20k miles and saw it had the diff replaced at one point as well. I hope they extend the warranty for it as it seems to be a common occurrence. My warranty ended this year and this is making me nervous.

@jmc I'm with you. To me the C300 was pretty meh when I test drove it. It doesn't hide its weight as well as the CLA does. Also I don't like newer MBs' softer lines and those hideous tablet screens (although the UI itself is sleek).

Regardless, I've had so many issues with this car that it will likely be my last Mercedes. I had an effing first model year Alfa Romeo that was way more reliable.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Regardless, I've had so many issues with this car that it will likely be my last Mercedes. I had an effing first model year Alfa Romeo that was way more reliable.
Alfa and reliable are two words at two ends of any universe
I know Alfas v e r y well ... love them to death but the constant fixing and coaxing and duct taping is a bit much
Got invited to punch out the latest Guilia ... sexy car and even the low spec is quick ... but the >3 yr fixing map is already laid out and per italian style it aint cheap
But hey! It is a sexy sexy ride

·
Registered
386 Posts
I thought you said that you got invited to punch out a Gorilla. Although that experience would probably be the same as owning an Alfa in the long term.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
I thought you said that you got invited to punch out a Gorilla. Although that experience would probably be the same as owning an Alfa in the long term.

Thats about right ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m not sure what the longevity of your solution is, but a car worth $20k is still worth fixing an issue like this IMO. It would likely cost you more than $6,500 to pay another car that will be as reliable as the CLA after its fixed. As for reman, this is what the dealer installed in my car. The reman part was around $2,500 USD plus labor. I’m not sure why labor is so much. I don’t have a problem with reman because it’s possible that it would be better than the new one that came with the car.
Hello Traxem,

I’m having the same issue with my Cla 4 matic. I’m trying to find a good used rear axle differential. Do you know where I can find them?
I’d really appreciate any suggestion!

Thank you,
Neil

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello Traxem,

I’m having the same issue with my Cla 4 matic. I’m trying to find a good used rear axle differential. Do you know where I can find them?
I’d really appreciate any suggestion!

Thank you,
Neil
Sorry I don’t. My car was covered under extended warranty when the issue arose. It’s been running like new ever since it was fixed. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has the same issue and I just dropped it off. Anyone know where to get used reconditioned part?? They gonna call me tomorrow and I'm scared to find out repair cost.
Hi, I just had the same issue with my 2014 Cla 250. They disconnected the rear axle but I don’t know where to get a good used rear axle differential. How much did you pay for it? Did they fix it well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Y’all keep talking about getting a good used rear axle, but that’s total oxymoron!
Mine started making noise at about 50k miles. With that said they’re all actually bad, so finding a “good used one” is out of the question. You can buy rebuilt ones so that means parts to rebuild are available, at least to select vendors. I want the option to rebuild my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts