Mercedes CLA Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car is fixed. Attached is the screen shot for part numbers and comment.

At least I won’t have to deal with diff oil change.

I have the same exact problem. Thought it was the shocks for 6 months. I am guessing warranty is out for the 2014 cla 4 matic diff? Should I take it to the dealer or anyone know other places that can fix that without the dealership price? I don’t know how f I can get the solenoid and try first? The thumping and banging noises are getting more noticeable. Would appreciate any input

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the same exact problem. Thought it was the shocks for 6 months. I am guessing warranty is out for the 2014 cla 4 matic diff? Should I take it to the dealer or anyone know other places that can fix that without the dealership price? I don’t know how f I can get the solenoid and try first? The thumping and banging noises are getting more noticeable. Would appreciate any input
The solenoid is pretty easy to get to, but you do have to put it on a lift or jack stands. On the front left of the diff is a small plug in. Unplug it and the noise should go away.

I haven’t heard anyone say what the consequences are of continuing to drive it with it knocking though. Mine was still working, just made the noise for several years.

Yes the warranty would be out unless you had an extended drivetrain warranty.

You can purchase the differential (reman) for around $2500 usd online and install yourself or have a local mechanic install.

Check out fcpeuro.com for MB parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
The solenoid is pretty easy to get to, but you do have to put it on a lift or jack stands. On the front left of the diff is a small plug in. Unplug it and the noise should go away.

I haven’t heard anyone say what the consequences are of continuing to drive it with it knocking though. Mine was still working, just made the noise for several years.

Yes the warranty would be out unless you had an extended drivetrain warranty.

You can purchase the differential (reman) for around $2500 usd online and install yourself or have a local mechanic install.

Check out fcpeuro.com for MB parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks much! What a bummer- problem started 4 years ago and even busted a rear tire. Would have been under warranty if caught but was told shocks wearing out was probably doing that. Saw a service memo from Mercedes on this in Australia but not here. Mercedes should own up or somebody should file a law suit.
looking at 4K plus in repairs!
Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone with this same problem (clunking noise when low speed turning in a parking lot or at a stop) just by changing the differential fluid?
(must admit I haven't done mine in at least 42k miles and not sure about previous maintenance history)

·
Registered
2016 CLA 250 2.0L 4matic
48 Posts
I have noticed my rear diff will give a mechanical "shunt" and clunking noise when rapidly decelerating in 1st gear or when engaging neutral when the car is still cold. I had the rear diff oil changed at 85,000km at a local shop at that seemed to remedy it for 20,000km or so. I've noticed the clunking return lately(I'm at 106k km) but no weird behaviour in slow speed turns.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts