Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just noticed that Car and Driver has some EPA estimates posted in their latest issue.
22-23 city / 33-34 highway.

Those numbers are okay for the CLA250, but for me, it means that the AMG will have AWFUL, AWFUL gas mileage.

Not looking forward to see those official numbers after reading this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Amen brother ... I can appreciate our affinity with the AMG version but if we truly want that much power in a car, I'd suggest the C63 or something other than the CLA AMG version. After all, this entry model is pretty sporty and "peppy" in its own right strictly out of the box. In my opinion, given the price point and objective of this model, the AMG version is overkill.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since when does Car and Driver have an insider at the EPA? LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be willing to bet Car and Driver simply took the numbers from the European tests and multiplied by 70%. For example the CLA250 highway is 48MPG (4.9l/100km). Multiply that by 70% and you get 34MPG.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
no thats not it.

its got something to do with some shady testing. apparently the cars they give the administration arent the cars they end up selling. plus they tape up every seam in the car, use lower resistance tires, etc. Things that are not part of the car sold.

there was an article about it a few months ago on autoblog or somewhere detailing this. i'll try to dig it up.t:

edit: here it is.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/14/carmakers-taking-advantage-of-eu-fuel-economy-test-by-taping-up/

and its all diagrammed here:

http://green.autoblog.com/photos/common-ways-carmakers-manipulate-tests/

·
Registered
730 Posts
So just noticed that Car and Driver has some EPA estimates posted in their latest issue.
22-23 city / 33-34 highway...
Boosted 4'banger w/ 200hp & 3,200+ lbs car, those #'s make sense.

I wonder if Euro-market gearing is different than USDM / North America models. An uber-long 7th gear would definitely help w/ cruising & fuel-economy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow that's dirty. And even here in the US the numbers are never what you get. My brother's 2011 Nissan Juke gets 4-5 MPG lower than the EPA estimate, even with baby driving the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts