Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All (first post here).

I'm in the market for a new car and the CLA250 really tickles my fancy for the most part. I love the look, love the highway mileage, and am seriously considering this car. I'm going to have a very long commute shortly so any car that I buy will get a lot of miles put on it, fast. Figure about 35,000 miles per year at least, with 90% of that being highway miles of 55mph or faster.

I'd like my next car to last me 7-8 years if possible, which means the CLA250 would have to last 280,000 miles or so.

A great part of me thinks that buying the CLA250 for this type of driving life isnt the best idea. I'm not sure how expensive repair costs will be and how frequent I will need to be doing them. On the other hand, if I'm going to be spending so much time in my car, I really want to enjoy it. One other thing, I'll be living in snow country (lower Michigan) so I often consider that.

It's too early to know how long term reliability for this model will be, thus I'm unsure what to buy.

Anyone else in the same boat? What did you do?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Hello All (first post here).

I'm in the market for a new car and the CLA250 really tickles my fancy for the most part. I love the look, love the highway mileage, and am seriously considering this car. I'm going to have a very long commute shortly so any car that I buy will get a lot of miles put on it, fast. Figure about 35,000 miles per year at least, with 90% of that being highway miles of 55mph or faster.

I'd like my next car to last me 7-8 years if possible, which means the CLA250 would have to last 280,000 miles or so.

A great part of me thinks that buying the CLA250 for this type of driving life isnt the best idea. I'm not sure how expensive repair costs will be and how frequent I will need to be doing them. On the other hand, if I'm going to be spending so much time in my car, I really want to enjoy it. One other thing, I'll be living in snow country (lower Michigan) so I often consider that.

It's too early to know how long term reliability for this model will be, thus I'm unsure what to buy.

Anyone else in the same boat? What did you do?

Thanks for any feedback!
Though I am not in the same boat as you as I have a 3 year lease, and I may or may not choose to continue with car afterwards dependent on the car's health after 3 years and circumstances.

BUT

I'm not sure how expensive repair costs : As with all things Daimler (except smart, those cars fix for relatively cheap and snap together) it expensive. Labor if you go the Certified route is high regardless for the quality work. And MB branded parts generally are expensive if OEM and new.

On the other hand, if I'm going to be spending so much time in my car, I really want to enjoy it. : This is a fun car to drive and for long distances. It is quite comfortable and technology in it is enough to keep you occupied. So you will enjoy it.

One other thing, I'll be living in snow country (lower Michigan) so I often consider that.: Spend the extra $2K for the 4 MATIC. But it is old school of thought, that front drive vehicles fair better in the snow compared to rear-wheel drive, and the the non-4MATIC is front wheel, so if on a budget, it may not totally knock the CLA out of contention.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Generally a car's life depends greatly on how you maintain and "baby" it. The CLA being a luxury car brand comes a higher price for everything.. maintenance, repair, fuel, geniune parts etc. The CLA is a GREAT car, bad reviews notwithstanding. Just like a wife/girlfriend/partner, get the car you will really enjoy. Just carefully consider the expenses that come with it.....just like a wife/gf/partner.

That said, if the CLA250 will be your choice, get extended warranty and religiously follow the maintenance schedule. You will want to baby it if you want to reach XXX,XXX miles. This is not a japanese car brand inherent of the Japanese long life that you "set and forget" and drive and go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am very good with maintaining a car. My last two cars hit the 150k mile mark. Back then it took me 7 years to reach this level but with my longer commute, I'll be putting a lot more miles on than before. I'm a VW guy thinking about jumping up into the MB world, but still am trying to figure out if the cost is feasible.

One thing I keep thinking about is, do turbochargers last 200+K miles? Or is that a item certain to be replaced? If yes, is that a massive expense or just a regular expensive item.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm getting about 35MPH combined in ECO mode. I commute 30 miles per day. No snow, obviously. I'm hoping for serious rain this winter.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I am also receiving good mileage from my FWD CLA 250, approximately 32-33 in town (highway and city driving). Of course I absolutely baby the vehicle. I would also buy the longest warranty I could and the maintenance packages and negotiate the best price for each. I would also use the best fuel, best oil, etc and follow maintenance religiously. I hope you do buy the car and keep all of us apprised of your results.

BTW I do expect to take the car on the road for about a 1 k trip and I expect at least 35 mpg on the trip.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My CLA250 feels great cruising on the highway, as long as it's a smooth surface it will take you to Hell and come back.
With 12 gallons of fuel in the tank I get 449 miles, that's about 37 MPG, I'm at 30K miles and it feels as good as when it was new.

449 miles / tank...

Sometimes in my short commute I get the lucky number "45 MPG" [without traffic]...

D.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Pro:

The more miles you drive, the greater the chance of collision, and the more important to have a safe car (especially at highway speeds).

Run-flats could prove invaluable.

You'll smile every time you get in it.

Con:

You might want a car with a cushier suspension if the commute is rough.

(Or not - I drove mine 1,200 on local roads and highways in four European countries, and didn't give a thought to the suspension until I was confronted with Los Angeles roads.)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
( I drove mine 1,200 on local roads and highways in four European countries, and didn't give a thought to the suspension until I was confronted with Los Angeles roads.)
I had a similar sentiment! With differences being "5 countries" and "New York roads".
I was just commenting today, how I never felt imperfections in Europe, but they sure are evident stateside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frankly Ratty, I wouldn't buy the CLA in your case.

Given you travel around 35K miles/year and on the highway:

1) Your gas mileage will vary but for me on the highway in ECO mode I get 28mpg. In the city, with ECO mode. I get about 18mpg. You have to use 91+ octane to get this though which adds to your gasoline expenses. 28mpg isn't bad but you can do way better at a lower cost.
2) Since you are in Michigan snow country, make sure the tires on your car are all season. Some on this forum had summer tires sold to them by their dealers and they live in snow/winter like areas. They later find out their tires go bald fast. Failure to get all season tires will result in another $800+ for a set of four after 10K miles. High performance tires for the CLA aren't cheap.
3) Service intervals are every 10K miles, which is a big negative for you. You're looking at taking your car in at least 3 times a year for service and spending $1200K+/year.

I wouldn't use the CLA as a commuter car (or any "luxury" car for that matter). Use them more as a pleasure car/vacation/grocery car and put on no more than 12K miles/year. You want to have them for a good 3-4 years and under 50K warranty so you can sell it as a used car to someone else at a better price (MB standard warranty is 4 yrs/50K miles).

You'll be better off buying a cheaper car that gets 30+/mpg and driving the hell out of it rather than using a Mercedes for commuting. In your case, by the second year, you've already racked up 70K/miles and the depreciation on it will be big (30%+). It will also be out of 50K warranty after just a mere 18 months of ownership making it less attractive as a used car. Service costs for a Mercedes is much higher than your typical American/Japanese car which in your case, will just add to the overall lifetime cost. If you are planning on having it for say 200K miles, that is 20 services at $500-$2500 each. That adds up to a car in itself.
Thank you kkobashi . Your honesty, while making me sad, is very much appreciated. I want this car pretty bad, but deep down I know it's a huge mistake. One of the biggest drags of having a 100 mile a day driving need is that your selection of cars that you can buy is pretty miserable.

I guess I have to enjoy the CLA250 as they drive by me while I sit in some econobox.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thank you kkobashi . Your honesty, while making me sad, is very much appreciated. I want this car pretty bad, but deep down I know it's a huge mistake. One of the biggest drags of having a 100 mile a day driving need is that your selection of cars that you can buy is pretty miserable.

I guess I have to enjoy the CLA250 as they drive by me while I sit in some econobox.
You don't have to think econobox. There are many choices out there that bridge the gap between just transportation and luxury/ performance. If you still want German engineering, VW has several models that would suit you, including the Passat. You might even consider a diesel. IMO, the best bang for your buck is Hyundai. The Elantra is small, moving up to the Sonata gets you a large car, well featured for $23,500. Also, their warranty is top notch. Nissan Altima, Buick Verano, Toyota Camry, the list goes on and on. Don't be discouraged, have some fun test driving. You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Some more thoughts. I have had both versions of the CLA, FWD and AWD. I drove through one NW New Jersey winter with FWD and the car was fine with all season radials. However, for the extra 2K I think that AWD drive is a wise investment in upper or lower Michigan! As for gas milage, I found a significant difference between FWD and AWD, the former coming in up to 47 MPG highway and 38 MPG in mixed driving. That's pretty damn good! AWD averages around 32 over the long haul. I was putting 24K a year on my CLA and found it to be comfortable and fun to drive. As for longevity, that is a crap shoot. If you keep fixing it, it will last for as long as you'd like! :)

Reactions: Rapidfirerob

·
Premium Member
13,243 Posts
@2katman2 & @Spartacus
Used to visit family in europe a lot when I was a kid and I noticed our euro counterparts maintain their roads on a more severe schedule than we do. When I was driving thru black forest for example I thought how nice it would be to transplant that nice winding country road to a back country hill in SoCal. And watching phone videos taken while driving in europe vs here (san diego) shows how crummy (and poorly surfaced) our roads are. We need to borrow a couple of their civil engineers for a day. ?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
@2katman2 & @Spartacus
Used to visit family in europe a lot when I was a kid and I noticed our euro counterparts maintain their roads on a more severe schedule than we do. When I was driving thru black forest for example I thought how nice it would be to transplant that nice winding country road to a back country hill in SoCal. And watching phone videos taken while driving in europe vs here (san diego) shows how crummy (and poorly surfaced) our roads are. We need to borrow a couple of their civil engineers for a day. ��
It's a completely different model: in America, we award the contract to the lowest bidder, who has to save money by cutting corners.

In Europe, contractors are required to warranty their work, so they use materials that last longer.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Buick Verano
Yes! The comfort of a Buick, the ingenuity of a Korean car. You cannot go wrong with Buick and ride and cabin quality. Keeping it for 10 years, 100K, Im not sure about, BUT you do see a bunch of old Buicks on road today, mainly because they are cheap to maintain and repair. Being based on the Chevy Cruze/Daewoo Lacetti, makes it relatively efficient for its level of relative luxury. For your conditions, I suggest a Buick Verano.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
In Europe, contractors are required to warranty their work, so they use materials that last longer.
HAHA, Warranty. I always thought that was an :us: thing and what made us great! That and the good 'ol Guarantee!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My CLA250 feels great cruising on the highway, as long as it's a smooth surface it will take you to Hell and come back.
With 12 gallons of fuel in the tank I get 449 miles, that's about 37 MPG, I'm at 30K miles and it feels as good as when it was new.

449 miles / tank...

Sometimes in my short commute I get the lucky number "45 MPG" [without traffic]...

D.
Just curious, with 37 mp g, what speed were you cruising, terrain (mountains, flat, etc) and did you have ac on?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes! The comfort of a Buick, the ingenuity of a Korean car. You cannot go wrong with Buick and ride and cabin quality. Keeping it for 10 years, 100K, Im not sure about, BUT you do see a bunch of old Buicks on road today, mainly because they are cheap to maintain and repair. Being based on the Chevy Cruze/Daewoo Lacetti, makes it relatively efficient for its level of relative luxury. For your conditions, I suggest a Buick Verano.
I had very good luck with my two Buicks, both had second lives with my kids and both lasted 7 and 8 years, both north of 150,000 miles. They had some stylistic issues a decade ago, but have always had a good reliability reputation. I tested the Verano before I chose my CLA, And Spartacus is correct, it is a fine car, and will be far cheaper to maintain.

Reactions: Spartacus
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.