Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the CLA45 AMG will cannibalize sales from the C63 AMG? I know it's not going to be quite as powerful with only a rumored 330hp, however I think it could be a perfect blend of performance and fuel economy. I think it might be more of a complete all around package. Thoughts?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just saw a C63 AMG at the dealer yesterday, stickering for ~$77k'ish. Very powerful NA engine & plenty of performance bits, but otherwise lacking the comfort & luxury features generally present in such a price realm (ie. no ventilated seats, no Alcantara headliner/inserts, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post here and the question I'm most interested in or comparison of the 2. I am really wanting to see instrument and handling test of the CLA. If they can deliver a to 60 time in the 4.6-4.8 range, quarter in 12.8, in a package that is lighter and more nimble at the track I think it will absolutely steal some sales from the C63. I think to be a real winner with the CLA AMG the Mercedes really needs to out perform the current 2.0l tuner cars on the Market. I am not trying to compare the quality of MB to an Evo or a STI, but I can see a crowd of maturing owners of these cars being very interested in this car if it will deliver the performance. This car has me very excited though. Never thought I'd own a mercedes, but just fell in love with the wife's ML. Now I want one myself. One of these two AMGs are calling my name for sure. Sorry long first post.

·
Registered
315 Posts
First post here and the question I'm most interested in or comparison of the 2. I am really wanting to see instrument and handling test of the CLA. If they can deliver a to 60 time in the 4.6-4.8 range, quarter in 12.8, in a package that is lighter and more nimble at the track I think it will absolutely steal some sales from the C63. I think to be a real winner with the CLA AMG the Mercedes really needs to out perform the current 2.0l tuner cars on the Market. I am not trying to compare the quality of MB to an Evo or a STI, but I can see a crowd of maturing owners of these cars being very interested in this car if it will deliver the performance. This car has me very excited though. Never thought I'd own a mercedes, but just fell in love with the wife's ML. Now I want one myself. One of these two AMGs are calling my name for sure. Sorry long first post.
It may steal some, but I don't think too many. They're two different animals. Different hp, size, shape, looks etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clamp I agree completely. I am still mostly interest in the C63, but 15-20k less, different styling, 35-40mpg, and the possibility of it being fun at the track occasionally can be very tempting to some if they want to use it more than just looking pretty.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Clamp I agree completely. I am still mostly interest in the C63, but 15-20k less, different styling, 35-40mpg, and the possibility of it being fun at the track occasionally can be very tempting to some if they want to use it more than just looking pretty.
i fully concur with you... and yes you would have an Extra 15-20k in your presence for lots of fun and games!

·
Registered
339 Posts
It should be plenty quick with 350 HP. The power should get to the ground better than in the C63 too. Those RWD AMGs are just hooligan tire shredders with the electronic nannies turned off. Actually there is a C63 owner near me who has put straight pipes on his car, now it's noiser than a '66 Mustang with glass packs. No class. He may have been a member of the fart cannon Honda club before he found some money under his mattress....

The coolest thing would be to get the CLA AMG and maybe put a CLA 180 badge on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think so. The C63 is an axe murder with headlights. You won't get the same tire roasting torque out the the CLA.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So the official 0-100 time for the A45 AMG is 4.6 seconds, and it's ....4.5.....for the C63. Basically a dead heat. The main difference lies in the fuel economy - the C63 drinks like a sailor on shore leave, and the A45 is much more reasonable. The CLA45 will be bigger inside than the C Class too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 :crazy:
So the official 0-100 time for the A45 AMG is 4.6 seconds, and it's ....4.5.....for the C63. Basically a dead heat. The main difference lies in the fuel economy - the C63 drinks like a sailor on shore leave, and the A45 is much more reasonable. The CLA45 will be bigger inside than the C Class too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Umm if you ran the two against eachother the A45 would be left for dead... even with the 63 smoking the tires... 450-480 detuned HP would overwell the A45....
you would probably get the lead for the first 30 feet or so with the awd...but then the 63 would be gone... 4.5s isnt that accurate for a c63...usually in th 4.2 sec range...but 1/4 mile times wouldnt be close...12.5 in the 63 stock and low 12s with just stickier rubber.. A45 will be a much for economical car for sure...better mpg, less tire wear and cheaper maintenance...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Speaking as a previous C63 owner, the C63 is very fun to drive and the exhaust note is just amazing. However, traction is a real problem on the C63. It's very hard to get a perfect launch with 500+ hp (mine is modified), but once it hook up to the ground, it will sure put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Speaking as a previous C63 owner, the C63 is very fun to drive and the exhaust note is just amazing. However, traction is a real problem on the C63. It's very hard to get a perfect launch with 500+ hp (mine is modified), but once it hook up to the ground, it will sure put a smile on your face.
Yes, I tested one a few years ago and asked the salesman to get me an mp3 of the "Vroom". It was such beautiful music. But RWD and a thirsty engine just didn't make sense in a snowy, urban setting. The '45 will cost less up-front, less to operate, and will handle winter much better. I just hope it has some of the same spirit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
By way of a quick intro, I'm a newbie here (first post - be gentle!) and a current C63 owner.

I like the CLA - it's good looking, it's more spacious than the C63 inside and I'm told it's quieter.

That's before you get on to the subject of the fuel consumption, which has definitely got my attention. When you drive 20k miles a year and fuel costs around $8+ a gallon (I'm from the UK, but have adjusted the measurements and pricing to the US equivalent), it quickly gets expensive. I'm getting around 15mpg (again US figures) on mainly motorway driving, which equates to around $10,000 a year in fuel.

That said, I still wish they had put a bigger engine in the CLA45. Several of the US tests have put the real-life 0-60 time of the C63 at 3.9s, with 30-70 coming up in just 3.5s. I seriously think the CLA45 is going to struggle to meet these figures (but would be glad to be proven wrong).

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Jeremy said:
I like the CLA - it's good looking, it's more spacious than the C63 inside and I'm told it's quieter.
Why do you think this to be the case? Everything I've read so far suggests that the interior is smaller. It only holds 4 plus the rakish roof line is said to severely limit headroom in the back. The front seats might offer more space...I don't know. I'd also be surprised if its quieter since its based on a smaller car platform that utilizes less expensive materials. I'd love to hear more thoughts on this from people who have driven a CLA.

Jeremy said:
That said, I still wish they had put a bigger engine in the CLA45. Several of the US tests have put the real-life 0-60 time of the C63 at 3.9s, with 30-70 coming up in just 3.5s. I seriously think the CLA45 is going to struggle to meet these figures (but would be glad to be proven wrong).
I know Audi and BMW typically provide conservative numbers on their cars. I was told that MB does the same but only time will tell. I'm sure this is something that will be tested as soon as cars are made available to journalists. Either way, if a C63 is pulling 3.9s, I agree with you that the CLA is going to have a tough time meeting or beating that number with 355hp.

-Eric

·
Registered
896 Posts
i think this is one of the problems with the CLA45

why would you expect it to come close to those figures? this isnt the next-gen c63 were talking about.. its the CLA for 15k less - of course its not going to be as fast as a c63

mb would never let that happen either . . its like an m1 beating an m3 (and expecting it to) or an rs4 beating an rs6 - stock, the companies just wont let it happen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts