Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife's just picked up a 2015 CLA45, and I had the pleasure of taking it for its first service... $3700 for wear and tear: break pads and oil, battery, automatic kit, transmission oil, air and cabin filters. no thanks.

This excellent guide to servicing the transmission has made me feel that the transmission service is feasible by a weekend warrior:

I managed to get most of my parts from sparesbox, but I'm struggling to find options for the 'automatic kit', which I take it should include the transmission filter, gasket, stainless bolts, washers, fluid. Do you have recommendations for where i can get this? it's $375 from the dealer, and i bet they don't flush the torque converter, so would only come with ~4L ATF, instead of nearly 9L if you flush the system. Maybe from Ryco at Auto One?

Finally, do you have any tips for tools to help fill the fluid? The guy in the video made his own, but I think that'll take me hours to make. The Mityvac MVA588 (https://www.amazon.com.au/Mityvac-MVA588-ATF-Refill-Adapter/dp/B00JLGYU5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551187331&sr=8-1&keywords=mityvac+mva588) is mentioned in the comments, but at ~$50, i was hoping there would be something at SCA or similar, locally.

cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
314 Posts
The CLA uses a DCT transmission so there’s no torque converter. JMC had posted on how the dealer does fluid change. It’s not quite as straight forward as pulling the pan, change the filter, re-fill and flush the fluid.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
I got all my parts ... just waiting to get the mb fluid when i am actually ready to execute
Warning - in discussions with product managers at auto fluid groups they are disturbed so many online sites claim to have dct fluid that passes the 236.2 spec for our dcts ... and we tried to pull those but that of course will take time
Theres only one ... shell dctf (as the benz one is rebadged shell)
Anyway yeah its gonna be interesting. Some folks have done it so salute their effort
My concern is contamination (cuz from what I saw those hydraulic channels really need that to stay fully functional in band) and proper fluid level
The 45 has an active gearbox oil temp reading so that is useful as unlike cold static reads for engine oil this finiky dct wants a specific fluid at either 40C or 70C ... and per the gearbox dipstick markings 0.1L up down from optimal is about it for error
The 250 does not have the dct fluid temp readout and most obd reader efforts have not pulled that data yet ... still trying to define that custom pid
So a trusty micro thermocouple at the tip of a separate dipstich will have to do and while the engine is live mind you
There are 2 filters ... the primary in the pan ... and the secondary in the cooler
Tough part is unless the new fluid level is the same as the old level the low level calibration point will be off (hence the dealer level diagnostic routine for that sensor loop) so us mortals will just have to cheat and mimic the cold static oil level to better than 0.05L and move on (so some add and subtract routines after some test drives and cool down)
The primary gasket is aluminum framed so its self limiting in terms of gasket compression state which is good
Should be a fun exercise

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Oh forgot about the parts
Online shopping around yields US$150 for the mess ... main gasket, main filter, cooler filter, cooler filter o rings, pan bolts ... and the 45 gearbox needs the (expensive) antifoam additive
That little 30mL syringe alone was $45 darn it else it would have been $105 for the parts
These are benz parts from online benz parts houses that are within some dealers ... typically 25-30% off mrsp

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
The dct fluid aint cheap from any dealer unless you ebay it
Anywhere from $10 to $20 per L (need 6) depending on vendor so another 60-120 or max 270 parts and fluid
Gotta find a large opening funnel with a skinny neck to fit into the dipstick tube for refill but most critical is a super lint free funnel filter media to make sure the dct fluid going in is clean
The service techs cant stress cleanliness enough ... they have a nice expensive fancy benz funnel with filter almost williams sonoma gadget class ... any small debris could clog one of the pressure channels and its game over man
And I think they are serious ... after 20k / 3yr my dct fluid condition is crystal ... fascinating

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jesus... it sounds like transmission service should be done at the dealer or shop. For something that will get done maybe once during my ownership, I’d rather not go through the trouble.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
My wife's just picked up a 2015 CLA45, and I had the pleasure of taking it for its first service... $3700 for wear and tear: break pads and oil, battery, automatic kit, transmission oil, air and cabin filters. no thanks.
Transmission service is pretty damn involved, and you should be very sure of yourself before taking on such a critical (read: expensive) set of components.

I'm with you when balking at the cost of some of these service items ... but it doesn't mean you have to go DIY for everything. You can knock off a lot of the stuff for cheap yourself (various fluids, battery (why does a 2015 need a new battery?), filters, even brakes), and maybe put some of those savings toward paying a pro to do the trans service. Consider a certified independent shop to save as well.

Also a really good example of why it's a great idea to get a pre-purchase inspection on a car — particularly a 3-4 year old model, which is probably a lease return and will need a lot of "wear and tear" items replaced within the next year. Getting an inspection ahead of purchase can help you haggle and get the price down to compensate for some of that. You may get a great deal on a 3-4 year-old model, but it's not so great if it's going to need tires, brakes and major driveline services shortly after purchase because all of those items need done around 40-60k miles.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Brings back memories ... back in 2015 when mine was the first dct job (warranty) at the dealer ... took them 2 days with the germans on the phone to get it done right, reprogrammed correctly, and properly filled (at 40C). I visited during those 2 days cuz I always monitor like a hawk (so I know what to do later!) though the young eager tech and older experienced foreman team did a wonderful job ... down to wide painters tape all over to prevent microscratches and finger smudges (yeah they know me well)

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
are you telling me there is a service i have to do after warranty expiration that will cost around 4k? i rather put it on fire and call my insurance lmao :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
my car is older (MY2014) and still has OEM brakes and no transmission work needed. Just oil and filters. your 2015 must've been a lease that somebody really beat on if you need all that stuff already... this is why AMG's lease for a stupid amount of money compared to buying... I don't blame them though if I leased a car like this, I'd drive it like I stole it from day 1... no regard for 1000 mile break in period... nothing.

:drool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
are you telling me there is a service i have to do after warranty expiration that will cost around 4k? i rather put it on fire and call my insurance lmao :D
This isn't one service. This is a big estimate from a dealer (it seems) for a whole bunch of different services (some necessary, some likely superfluous) all at once. And not anything that would typically be under warranty anyway. It is not typical to expect to just have a $4k bill waiting for you at ~4 years of ownership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts