Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I noticed that when turing the wheel to make a turn at low speed in my 2017 cla, i will have clicking feelings when turning the steering wheel, it feels like something stuck in the steering wheel and interfere the turn, also feels like that there's a play when the steering rack pulling the wheel, I've replaced the clock spring and reduced the feeling but it still happens. Dose anyone have this issue or know what might cause this?

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250 4MATIC ✨
87 Posts
Hi all, I noticed that when turing the wheel to make a turn at low speed in my 2017 cla, i will have clicking feelings when turning the steering wheel, it feels like something stuck in the steering wheel and interfere the turn, also feels like that there's a play when the steering rack pulling the wheel, I've replaced the clock spring and reduced the feeling but it still happens. Dose anyone have this issue or know what might cause this?
This has been happening to me recently at 68k miles. I have no idea what it is :( if anyone does please update us!

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
With front wheels off ground
How hard can you wiggle them without hearing any sounds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to wiggle them before and did not hear anything, but I didn't put much strength then, maybe I'll do that again after, thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250 4MATIC ✨
87 Posts
The ball joints look fine, would any other part might also cause the issue?
I can’t check until I lift, car is too low :( when I check, I’ll keep you guys updated. Also it doesn’t only click when turning, it’s when the car is going super slow. Let’s say I stop at a stop sign and I start slowly going forward it’ll start doing that ugly clicking sound.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
Hmmm ... look for a little stone or debris trapped between the rotor and dust shield ... or something like that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you checked your CV joints. When CV joints need replacing they may also cause clunking noise when you turn the steering wheel. I'm not sure if our CLA's have them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the joints, half shafts and end rods looked fine and solid, I also tried to wiggle the wheels, but with no sound at all, I think it might be something wrong in the steering column assembly.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
There are only a finite number of dynamic points in the steering system ... sooner or later the little twit of a component will be found

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
you happen to have some pix of these little gadgets where they are? just curious ...

·
Registered
2014 CLA 250 4MATIC ✨
87 Posts
you happen to have some pix of these little gadgets where they are? just curious ...

Sorry it’s blurry but the highlighted part is the wheel speed sensor! Just to get an idea of what it looks like before I send an actual picture!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts