Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, ok this is not exactly an issue but something noticeable and still can live with it

I have had my CLA180 for 1.5 months now, and still trying to adapt and know the car. One thing I don't like is definitely the eco start/stop. I turn it off every time I start my trip... But..

But there is this weird feel when I come to a stop even when I turned off the eco start/stop. The engine feels like eco start/stop is still activated. It kinda have slight vibration when coming to a stop. Start off is ok.. Just wondering if it's the gearbox changing down gears of something that's causing such.

I'm not sure if this is common. Do you guys encounter such feel when coming to a stop?

·
Registered
8 Posts
heh, try pressing the brakes harder once its stopped. I had this feeling when at a stop, turns out the brake pedal was so lightly depressed that the car was still trying to move, hence the vibrations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh, try pressing the brakes harder once its stopped. I had this feeling when at a stop, turns out the brake pedal was so lightly depressed that the car was still trying to move, hence the vibrations.
hmm could be.. I'll step harder to see if it persists. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
But there is this weird feel when I come to a stop even when I turned off the eco start/stop. The engine feels like eco start/stop is still activated. It kinda have slight vibration when coming to a stop. Start off is ok.. Just wondering if it's the gearbox changing down gears of something that's causing such.

I'm not sure if this is common. Do you guys encounter such feel when coming to a stop?
You'll need to give us a better/more detailed explanation of what's happening. But I can say I don't experience what I'd consider "vibration" when coming to a stop, even when eco start/stop isn't turned on. The transmission can be jerky in the CLA, for sure, but coming to a full stop from any sort of normal road speed, the transmission is really good about coasting and then smoothly transitioning to 1st gear and idling as you sit there. Only time I experience harshness in this situation is if you don't come to a full stop and then have to accelerate, you can sometimes get an awkward 2nd->1st shift and a jerk when you pull away — but that isn't something you experience when coming to a full stop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need to give us a better/more detailed explanation of what's happening. But I can say I don't experience what I'd consider "vibration" when coming to a stop, even when eco start/stop isn't turned on. The transmission can be jerky in the CLA, for sure, but coming to a full stop from any sort of normal road speed, the transmission is really good about coasting and then smoothly transitioning to 1st gear and idling as you sit there. Only time I experience harshness in this situation is if you don't come to a full stop and then have to accelerate, you can sometimes get an awkward 2nd->1st shift and a jerk when you pull away – but that isn't something you experience when coming to a full stop.
I try my best to describe it.

Typical circumstance - When coming to a red light, I’ll tap on the brakes to slow down and then come to a stop. It happens at the time when it is near to stopping. There this slight vibration, feeling like engine is coming to a stall, which was why I related to the eco start stop. The feeling of engine is gonna stop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I try my best to describe it.

Typical circumstance - When coming to a red light, I’ll tap on the brakes to slow down and then come to a stop. It happens at the time when it is near to stopping. There this slight vibration, feeling like engine is coming to a stall, which was why I related to the eco start stop. The feeling of engine is gonna stop.
Can you actually see the RPMs in the tach drop (indicating a stall)? What gear is the car in as you slow down, and do you see it go down to gear 1 before you're fully stopped? Also, once fully stopped, does the car idle fine w/o vibration? And does it pull away from a stop fine w/o vibration?

The only time I'll actually see the RPMs drop too low and hear the engine bog a little is on a cold start on a cold day and I toss it into drive and pull away quickly. And even then, it's very rare. I've never experienced the car feeling like it was going to stall or turn off when just coming to a stop in a regular situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you actually see the RPMs in the tach drop (indicating a stall)? What gear is the car in as you slow down, and do you see it go down to gear 1 before you're fully stopped? Also, once fully stopped, does the car idle fine w/o vibration? And does it pull away from a stop fine w/o vibration?

The only time I'll actually see the RPMs drop too low and hear the engine bog a little is on a cold start on a cold day and I toss it into drive and pull away quickly. And even then, it's very rare. I've never experienced the car feeling like it was going to stall or turn off when just coming to a stop in a regular situation.
I tapped on the brake when it's at D1.. RPM dropped but I didn't see any erratic RPM when coming to a stop though there's the weird feeling.. It then came to a stop at about 800 RPM. Idling was fine, no feel of vibrations.. same for moving off..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tapped on the brake when it's at D1.. RPM dropped but I didn't see any erratic RPM when coming to a stop though there's the weird feeling.. It then came to a stop at about 800 RPM. Idling was fine, no feel of vibrations.. same for moving off..
Well if you're already in 1st gear before you have vibration, then you can start to rule out the transmission since the 2->1 shift is already done. Starts to be even less likely when you can also idle and pull away without any issue.

So the way to rule out the 2->1 shift as the problem is to use manual mode to stay in 1st, accelerate a bit and then slow back down to a full stop without shifting. Now you can further isolate where the issue is.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
The rough dropping gear from 2-1 comes with any obvious vibration? Maybe my vibration was the cause of of drop gears?
Well thats just the thud-klunk-thud when the gearbox is prepping for the good o’ 1-2 when you start up again after a stop
Your vibration situation is perplexing
How are your brakes / tires / lug nuts torque / wheel bearings / suspension bushings ???

·
Registered
91 Posts
How are your brakes / tires / lug nuts torque / wheel bearings / suspension bushings ???
Yup this is my next guess. The fact that he's indicating it's happening when coming to a stop while already in 1st gear (past the 2->1 downshift) indicates potentially we're talking brakes/wheels/suspension instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if you're already in 1st gear before you have vibration, then you can start to rule out the transmission since the 2->1 shift is already done. Starts to be even less likely when you can also idle and pull away without any issue.

So the way to rule out the 2->1 shift as the problem is to use manual mode to stay in 1st, accelerate a bit and then slow back down to a full stop without shifting. Now you can further isolate where the issue is.
Thanks for the analysis.. If 2-1 transmission is ruled out I guess there should not anything major. I'll monitor for a while see if it get worse..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thats just the thud-klunk-thud when the gearbox is prepping for the good o’ 1-2 when you start up again after a stop
Your vibration situation is perplexing
Wow sounds scary with that thud-klunk-thud sound.. mine is like a very faint vibration.. no sound nothing. Brakes, bushings etc you mentioned I'd assume is fine since it's a month old.

It's perplexing but still can try to ignore.. maybe after a while if it doesn't get worse I'll get used to it.. That's besides the other issue I face about rear bumper gets caught at the wheel stopper or kerb in a parking lot. I have multiple scratches and a dent underneath the bumper at both the rear wheels area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have an CLA 250 4MATIC and i got the same vibration when coming to a stop.
I have notice that vibration occurs when i stop the car on a red light for example whithout start/stop enabled and RPM Gauge getting to 900/rpm and after that the vibration occured and gauge is getting to 800 RPM or so
Have you have any news about this problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts