Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CLA45 AMG. Two months ago my left front headlight went out and had condensation inside the headlight. Took it to the dealership and got charged $3400 because they had to replace the whole headlight assembly. After 7 weeks I finally got the car back. Now the front right is doing the same thing. Has anyone had this problem before? I really don’t want to have to spend another $3400 again for a headlight.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Wow ...
What the storage weather like?
Worse case maybe spend a couple big bills and go all led lamps

should have a vent tube?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
....they had to replace the whole headlight assembly....
What was the cause/imperfection, which caused the condensation?
No extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
@Mch67 began a long discussion of this fogging - mentioning other brands as well and the feeling that there may be a blocked vent, or faulty seal to blame, but the fogging seems to disappear after time. You can review this entire thread at Fogging up headlights in the search field above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
$3400 and 7 weeks wait time?
sounds like you got played by the dealership. You could’ve bought 2 new headlight assemblies for that much and had them installed in a couple of hours smh

·
Registered
141 Posts
this is a known problem since the xenon lamps no longer produce heat, and the solution to this is a special thick lid with a silica gel bag. The problem has been solved with my cla. the problem usually occurred with the first cold period after a wet period. I can give you the MB oem number of the lid and the silica gel, I have to look it up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
this is a picture of the thicker lid, you can read the oem number.
you place the MB silica gel bags in the thicker lid

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
philip
If you know:

Is this a retro fit directly onto any OEM headlight assembly?
Do you think there was a recall?
Are ventilation holes drilled as part of this fitment?

·
Registered
141 Posts
this was a total free recall, this covers are a retrofit on the original headlight assembly's.
There are no holes drilled, this cover replaces the original cover and contains a silicagel bag.
This MB silicagel bag is saturated after appr 10 months, the condensation will then return.
I bought a box of 1 kg of silica gel and I fill 100gr bags in a nylon sock myself.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thank you! (y)
This is tremendously valuable information.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
@Geo K - has to be process doc somewhere cuz it all has to get correlated in the service system as to what was done vs what was recommended

@philip - interesting details ... didnt think a lamp system would need to involve drier packs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts