Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I like many saw the ad for the CLA and immediately became interested in the car. I have never owned a MB so I do have a question for some of the more experience owners out there. First of all how high is the cost of ownership in relation to other luxury cars? My parents have owned an Audi for years and the cost of ownership has been high, but not much higher than would be expected. I own a Volvo, and also run into higher costs for routine maintenance if I go anywhere but my local garage.

What kind of experience can I expect from a MB from years 1-6?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Years 4-6 has the German car curse of expensive parts. Leasing German cars to always have the warranty is something I would always do. If you spend 3600 one year in parts to me you still have a car payment.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
$3,600/yr in maintenance on a new MB?!

That's crazy.

I wouldn't anticipate any serious outlay of cash during the warranty period. Call your dealer to find out the costs of annual maintenance. Budget a few hundred bucks. The questions I have back to the OP are: (i) how long do you plan on keeping the car and (ii) how many miles do you foresee putting on the car in a year? It comes with a 4yr/50Kmi warranty in the US. After that, parts and labor are parts and labor.

Labor on a Mercedes is more than labor on a Honda.
Parts on a Mercedes are more than parts for a Honda. The more technology in a car, the more expensive it is to fix. The fewer cars made/sold, the more expensive it is to fix. Some portion of it is simple supply and demand. Some of it is branding and profit margins.

A Mercedes isn't going to be as reliable as a Honda but they're still reliable cars. For the most part there really aren't bad cars out there. I'm not suggesting that all cars are equally reliable but today's market is extremely competitive. There are no "Yugos" in the American market. Hell, even a '13 Hyundai is a far cry from Hyundai of the '80s -- they're actually GOOD cars. I've owned BMWs and Audis that have been just as reliable and inexpensive to maintain as the Subarus and Hondas I've owned. My Volvo didn't require any major maintenance during my first 7-8yrs of ownership. This year was the first time I had any real expense. YMMV.

If you want maintenance free then buy a BMW and sell it before the warranty period ends. Everything, including windshield wipers but excluding tires, is included in their standard free maintenance program. If you want predictable/cheap maintenance then buy a Hyunda with a 10yr/100Kmi warranty. If you want relatively inexpensive, predictable, limited maintenance then buy a Honda. Nobody can quantify the actual costs of ownership and only you know your pain point here. If you plan on keeping the CLA long term 5+ yrs then plan on spending money to maintain it...more than a Honda...but it's not a Rolls Royce either. It's a mass production econo-lux car that's going to sell in huge numbers. If $1K in a year after the warranty period expires would be a death knell to your budget/income then don't keep it beyond the warranty period. A new set of tires is going to cost you between $800-$1,3K (depending on whether you want A/S or S/P tires).

-Eric

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think Canes meant when you're 6 years in and the car is paid off yet you're still spending thousands each year in repairs, it's the same as still having car payments, so to speak. That's why he prefers leasing when everything is covered.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If you are someone who puts 15K or fewer miles on a car in a year and doesn't keep a car more than 3-4 years you are probably better off leasing than buying. In my experience, a German car isn't a time bomb when it hits the end of its new car warranty and even when things do break I don't find that the costs of repair are 10x what it costs to repair a comparable vehicle from an American or Japanese manufacturer. My father-in-law's E550 is rock solid after 6yrs. Other people may have had different experiences.

-Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had fantastic luck with my 2001 Volvo S40. Just getting to the point where its not logical to put a ton of money into repairs. I plan on putting less than 15k on it a year. Probably less than 12k, but if I get the car then i would plan on owning it until I got into a similar situation as the Volvo, meaning no longer logical to repair vs purchase a new one. I probably won't be purchasing until next summer anyway so I guess I have some time to do some research and see what the reliability is on the car. Hopefully no major hickups in the first release.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I leased a 2011 C300 4matic for 33 months.......included the pre-paid 3 year scheduled maintenance which cost $769 ($256/yr). MB has pre-paid plans up to 5 years.

As long as the vehicle is under warranty, it's relatively inexpensive. WTF was that $3600/year figure for? An SLS Black Series?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I leased a 2011 C300 4matic for 33 months.......included the pre-paid 3 year scheduled maintenance which cost $769 ($256/yr). MB has pre-paid plans up to 5 years.

As long as the vehicle is under warranty, it's relatively inexpensive. WTF was that $3600/year figure for? An SLS Black Series?

As mentioned above I think he is figuring if you have one expensive maintenance issue a year after the warranty, then you were better off leasing. Something that has been brought up to me by people I have talked to is the possibility of an aftermarket extended warranty. Depending obviously on the service and level of coverage purchased, the car could be relatively cheap to own for its entire life correct?

·
Registered
312 Posts
As mentioned above I think he is figuring if you have one expensive maintenance issue a year after the warranty, then you were better off leasing. Something that has been brought up to me by people I have talked to is the possibility of an aftermarket extended warranty. Depending obviously on the service and level of coverage purchased, the car could be relatively cheap to own for its entire life correct?
Yes. Today's MB cars are technological marvels. As long as you perform the required once a year/10,000 mile service, the car will outlast your new 30 year mortgage. Of course, in the span of say, 30 years expect a few high dollar fixes but nothing to put you into the poor house. The CLA 250 will not be comprised of the same components as an SLS or S65. With those cars, I'd be a nervous wreck once the extended warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Yes. Today's MB cars are technological marvels. As long as you perform the required once a year/10,000 mile service, the car will outlast your new 30 year mortgage. Of course, in the span of say, 30 years expect a few high dollar fixes but nothing to put you into the poor house. The CLA 250 will not be comprised of the same components as an SLS or S65. With those cars, I'd be a nervous wreck once the extended warranty expires.
Scott did you decide what car you are going with?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
312 Posts
Scott did you decide what car you are going with?

Good question. Half of me wants to downgrade a bit so I'm able to quickly payoff the mortgage which in turn, will allow me to splurge next time on a next-gen C63 with (crossing my fingers) 4matic or pre-owned 911. The other half is saying screw it. Opt for a 45/S4/435 i M sport. I don't think the S3 will be out until 2015.

You and I are in the same boat as our leases are coming to an end. We still have enough time, though to listen to the reviews of forum members and experts alike regarding the 45. I'm pretty convinced everyone will be gushing over it as the end of the year approaches and people start taking deliveries.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Good question. Half of me wants to downgrade a bit so I'm able to quickly payoff the mortgage which in turn, will allow me to splurge next time on a next-gen C63 with (crossing my fingers) 4matic or pre-owned 911. The other half is saying screw it. Opt for a 45/S4/435 i M sport. I don't think the S3 will be out until 2015.

You and I are in the same boat as our leases are coming to an end. We still have enough time, though to listen to the reviews of forum members and experts alike regarding the 45. I'm pretty convinced everyone will be gushing over it as the end of the year approaches and people start taking deliveries.
Yes time is on our side. I'll be down in Philly a bunch more times. Ill pm you when I'll be down in case you want to test drive to help with your decision.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes time is on our side. I'll be down in Philly a bunch more times. Ill pm you when I'll be down in case you want to test drive to help with your decision.

Good looking out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts