Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story, and I am just seeking opinions. I am currently 4th on the list at my dealer for a CLA45. The three ahead of me were ordered no later then May 2013. I ordered mine on August 28th. Now, the three ahead of me all have either the CF, night exterior package or RECARO seats. Is there any chance that mine could end up arriving before theirs, possibly even as one of the first to the dealer? If so, does anyone else have the standard exterior trim, and Black red cut leather interior that ordered in or around August with a build or delivery date yet? My dealer hasn't given me any info. I'm just trying to grasp a best case scenario. I'm just not sure exactly how the order/build/deliver procedure works with MB.

-Jeff

·
Registered
534 Posts
There's always the possibility but one thing I've learned over the years buying a lot of new cars - the dealer is about as well informed as the customer regarding when a particular vehicle will arrive.

Manufacture will only be scheduled when all the components are available. Then each vehicle, whatever the options, starts in production in the order received sequence - all on the same production line.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The answer to your question is, yes; your position could improve, and no, it could deteriorate. If a "special friend" of the dealership who has purchased 5 cars in the last 10 years wants one. I bet he gets it before anyone in this "order number" line. But I would guess that if that "special friend" doesn't show up, you will probably advance in line for any number of reasons. (I'm number four at my dealership, but I realize that order is worth the paper it isn't printed on, and the signature of the sales manager that isn't there.)

My salesman told me that I would probably move up in line, and I believe him. Not because he said it, but because there are a million reasons why potential buyers back out.

The real question which we should all be asking our dealers is, "What is your allocation of these cars?" I haven't asked yet because I have assumed that the situation was still too fluid. By now I think that all dealerships probably should have received at least their initial allocations. I know we have people on this forum who can answer that question!

Reactions: JHOOPS02

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The answer to your question is, yes; your position could improve, and no, it could deteriorate. If a "special friend" of the dealership who has purchased 5 cars in the last 10 years wants one. I bet he gets it before anyone in this "order number" line. But I would guess that if that "special friend" doesn't show up, you will probably advance in line for any number of reasons. (I'm number four at my dealership, but I realize that order is worth the paper it isn't printed on, and the signature of the sales manager that isn't there.)

My salesman told me that I would probably move up in line, and I believe him. Not because he said it, but because there are a million reasons why potential buyers back out.

The real question which we should all be asking our dealers is, "What is your allocation of these cars?" I haven't asked yet because I have assumed that the situation was still too fluid. By now I think that all dealerships probably should have received at least their initial allocations. I know we have people on this forum who can answer that question!
The cars alocated to a dealer will be built on the scheduled build date regardless of who's name is on it. Like in my case, I am #1 at my dealership for the 45. They have two 45s with Oct D1 build date and will be completed and be here as the first batch of 45s at this dealership ( other dealers have build date as early as August.) When originally alocated based on their Netstar system, the car I eventually locked up ( it actually has my name entered on the netstar) is a Universe Blue with an ecclectic list of options. MBUSA just randomly assigned colors and options. Once I placed my deposit, I got to change my color and options and now listed as Cirrous White. I also wanted the Night Styling Package and 555+651 Recaro seats neither of which is available. The order system won't even allow you to place the order with those options until they are available officially. So my option is to take the car with available options or completely drop out of the list. That car I have locked up will be built in October and the final configuration will be the way it comes out from the production line. If I want the Night Styling which may become available in 2014, I need a 2014 open 45 allocation spot which is no longer available as every allocation my dealership is given, up to this point, has been sold. My current position is simple. Take the car without all the option I want or let the car go through production and walk away if I deem the car not acceptible without those options once it arrives. The dealership really doesn't care because the wait list will eat up this car in whatever configuration ( as long as it is not violet and has a panoramic roof ) immediately. My guess is you position will likely improve depending on what the people ahead of you want to do with their order. The only bad part potentially is timing. When they decide to drop out and head to the end of the line, you may be stuck with a car already past change date and force to either accept a car not in the color or equipment you want or stay in the same spot on the wait list for the open allocation which, depending on where you are, may stretch well into spring of 2014 with delivery in April or May. By then, you may as well wait for a 2015 car but if the waiting list exists, you will have to go to the end of the line as there are others waiting for that 2015 allotment. I went through this process in 2008 on a C63 and it was not fun. But the crazy thing was, the Lehman debacle came in September 2008 and the entire wait list evaporated quickly. All of a sudden, you are getting calls from reps about C63s sitting in the dealer's lot with no takers.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Well when ordering the car I was notified that I was first in line for the AMG. Then it turned out I was 3rd in line, but got moved up supposedly since I need the car in November, and because the guy in second place supposedly agreed to have the car arrive for him a bit later. So I guess its possible

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the whole theory I have is based on the idea that if I don't get moved ahead of everyone else, then my dealer will not receive a single 45 until at best the end of January due to all of the other orders ahead of me having availability issues with one component or another.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I guess the whole theory I have is based on the idea that if I don't get moved ahead of everyone else, then my dealer will not receive a single 45 until at best the end of January due to all of the other orders ahead of me having availability issues with one component or another.
No, you missed my point. The 45s alocated to your dealership will come whether the folks ahead of you or you want them. The dealership will gladly accept those cars either spec by MBUSA or the dealer.
If you nor those ahead of you want the cars, they will just sell them to the next guy in line or to someone from out of the area. In the beginning, I don't think any 45s will stay on the lot for long. Also not to forget some ahead of you may not qualify for the good lease or shocked by the $800 a month lease and $300 a month insurance payment on the car and depart. So the line will shorten when the cars get here. But once your number is called, you have about 24 hours to pony up the money or the car gets passed down to the next guy. This is not the new Play Station at $300. This car costs $60k + including tax and not every one can or is willing to pay for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts