Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be an issue with the stock air intake being so close to the turbo. The plastic there gets hot from the turbo when the car sits after running. After many heat cycles, it becomes brittle and cracks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yes there's already a thread about this and discussed extensively. Search "Mercedes Plastics".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there's already a thread about this and discussed extensively. Search "Mercedes Plastics".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I searched air intake and just found threads for the K&N intake

·
Registered
2015 CLA 250 4matic
30 Posts
Be glad you caught it so early. When I noticed mine, it was a 2x3” football shaped hole on both sides of the center split. :(

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
@mightyCLA ,
Search Any DIY air intakes out here? by @Weps a month ago, so it is current.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
and several other members have their threads about their crumbling intake scoops
all the same story ... the thermoplastic just gave up after too many thermal cycles :(

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealerships should be seeing this issue when they do oil changes. My guess, this will happen on every CLA with more that 60,000 miles

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The dealerships should be seeing this issue when they do oil changes....
a) Always address a faulty materials issue first with the authorized dealer, because it documents your visit for that purpose.
The dealer should go through MB channels to report, that you are seeking warranty protection on a known defect,
Then you report it to NHTSA, [the link in comment #7], which then investigates.
The question then becomes - how it may affect driver safety....The Weps thread in comment #5 above gives clues as to how it can lead to severe engine damage, etc., which should warrant an MB fix, IMO.
b) If/when it happens to me, that will be my exact approach.
c) A significant number of Forum members don't use the dealer for oil changes or parts, they do their own stuff or go independent.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
.....My guess, this will happen on every CLA with more that 60,000 miles
You might be correct and that's the whole point, suspicions raised because the pictures we have seen all look identical!.....Part should have been metal?...Plastic too thin??...Heat shield wrong size???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to have a modded subaru and I had the turbo intake replaced with silicone and it could take the heat. The stock 1 ripped due to age and a turbo swap. Mercedes cheaped out with this part and it should never have been made with plastic being that close to the turbo.

Is the K&N intake also made of plastic?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The K&N & AEM intakes are pretty much identical and my AEM is intact made from plastic.
It does seem thicker and more robust in comparison to the OEM intake. Maybe it'll last 120,000 clicks instead...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts