Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is one thing I can see that Mercedes realy cut the costs on and that is the damn DOOR PIN, its so ugly, simple and plastic, like it was from 1980. Why did they do this? :crying:

Anyone have an idea how to get them replaced or do a mod or so?

I dont have a picture but maybe someone else have, if not I will snap one tomorrow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone link to any nice one, also do you need to open the innerdoor to replace them or how does it work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Having looked into these some months back (and never physically installed them myself- outside of my "internet skill") - if the CLA pins are similarly setup to the C and E class
* front pins screw out; screw in the new pin
* rear pins are pressed on therefore need to be pulled off. Most recommend pushing the new pins on with an adhesive otherwise they won't stay.

There may be a more invasive way of switching them out (by removing the door panel) but the consensus was above.

Other MB forums have more details and 1st person experiences aplenty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is one thing I can see that Mercedes realy cut the costs on and that is the damn DOOR PIN, its so ugly, simple and plastic, like it was from 1980. Why did they do this? :crying:

Anyone have an idea how to get them replaced or do a mod or so?

I dont have a picture but maybe someone else have, if not I will snap one tomorrow.
I agree, totally ugly. I'm glad to find out they are replaceable.

2211d1380425523-just-saw-test-drove-cla-250-finally-2013-09-28-16.40.08.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
I could be wrong but I think they're $40 for a set of 4...not each.-Eric
Eric, I believe that it's $40 USD retail per each door pin. I was investigating this a few days ago in the CLA Accessory Guide. Searching using the MB Part Number, online sources are asking around $38-$40 per pin. Somewhat pricey but they look so sweet compared to the stock black plastic! I would love to be wrong on this one, but I don't think so.

On a related note, do all 4 doors have exposed pins or just the front two doors?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Eric, I believe that it's $40 USD retail per each door pin. I was investigating this a few days ago in the CLA Accessory Guide. Searching using the MB Part Number, online sources are asking around $38-$40 per pin. Somewhat pricey but they look so sweet compared to the stock black plastic! I would love to be wrong on this one, but I don't think so.

On a related note, do all 4 doors have exposed pins or just the front two doors?
The C Class coupe does not come with door pins either. This and the door sills will be my only DIY upgrades. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
all of the 4 are exposed
the 2 in the front, unscrew and screw to change
the 2 at the back, you apparently need to remove the door pannel ..
called the dealer and it's 40$ each -- cheaper on ebay by the way

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's $40 EACH MSRP...but you can find some knockoff ones on e-bay for probably $40 for a set. I want to replace them as well. I was able to get by and not notice them on my C (exactly like the CLA, cheap) but for some reason, it is bothering me now. haha.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Yikes! Thanks for confirming! I hadn't even looked at the accessory catalog because the MBUSA site allows you to add it to your CLA250 configuration and it lists a price of $40 for the accessory. It's more than a bit misleading. Who would buy a new car and only buy a single pin?! It's like checking the box for a rim upgrade and then only get a single rim! lol

Oh well, if the stock ones look bad I'd probably still spend the $160 on it. Hell, I've got a license plate holder that cost me $95. I guess I've bought crazier things.

-Eric

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eric, I'm in the dealership now. They say the door pins are just for the front doors. I asked the reason why you would not be able to change the other 2. They couldn't give me a good reason but told me that the design doesn't allow to use the pins they have in the catalogue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Eric, I'm in the dealership now. They say the door pins are just for the front doors. I asked the reason why you would not be able to change the other 2. They couldn't give me a good reason but told me that the design doesn't allow to use the pins they have in the catalogue.
Well, that's just silly! I might as well just leave the door pins alone then if only the front ones can be replaced so it doesn't look weird.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Livestrong191, I remember that thread. I didn't post (and therefore not a numb nut) but the idea did seem a little over the top at the time. You were spot on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts