Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like several of us, I have bumped into the car-won't-start days ... though both times it was at a gas station (thank goodness)
Last time was 02/12/16 so the battery was 24 months old (since it was put in)
This time was yesterday 04/05/18 and was 26 months old (since it was replaced feb2016)
Interesting since 2017 their battery sales warranty is 24 months (hmmm???) ... of course oem new car one is still 48mo
Anyway this time I managed to capture the data of a "dying" battery ... covers start-drive-stop-slowdeath-restartfail
(the 2 dips during the dying phase are normal part of the fuel system purging etc)

View attachment 57825

Good grief !! :cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well like several of us, I have bumped into the car-won't-start days ... though both times it was at a gas station (thank goodness)
Last time was 02/12/16 so the battery was 24 months old (since it was put in)
This time was yesterday 04/05/18 and was 26 months old (since it was replaced feb2016)
Interesting since 2017 their battery sales warranty is 24 months (hmmm???) ... of course oem new car one is still 48mo
Anyway this time I managed to capture the data of a "dying" battery ... covers start-drive-stop-slowdeath-restartfail
(the 2 dips during the dying phase are normal part of the fuel system purging etc)

View attachment 57825

Good grief !! :cool:
Ohh man sorry that’s not fun at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Must be some drain somewhere. Buy yourself a trusty CTEK charger. My original battery lasted 2.5 years. My warranty-replaced battery is almost 24 months old now, hooked on a weekly basis on a CTEK 4.3MUS. I use the engine start/stop a lot especially winter time so it does take a big toll on the battery.

·
Registered
376 Posts
@jmc, only 2 years old... something's leeching? :rollfinger::fie:
I'm still on my original battery. If I know I won't be using the car for more that 3-days I connect my Schumacher 2AMP charger. Never failed me so far.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well folks ... this second battery was born with a ctek43 on its terminals and the final charging state has been consistent - right up till the day it died. Even on its last day all i had to do was fast twist the key and ignition was complete. And the charging feedback loop works as planned. Just may be luck of the draw with factory defects on a plate or something. But there is some good news ... mb will do a goidwill out of warranty by 4 days replacement

·
Registered
12 Posts
the first time of dead battery of my CLA200 was 1.5 years.... and I read elsewhere most peoples with CLA and their battery usually dead around 2 years...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well folks ... this second battery was born with a ctek43 on its terminals and the final charging state has been consistent - right up till the day it died. Even on its last day all i had to do was fast twist the key and ignition was complete. And the charging feedback loop works as planned. Just may be luck of the draw with factory defects on a plate or something. But there is some good news ... mb will do a goidwill out of warranty by 4 days replacement
That's interesting.. maybe the ctek overcharged and killed it?? Did you have it on standard 14.4v charge? or 14.7v AGM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's interesting.. maybe the ctek overcharged and killed it?? Did you have it on standard 14.4v charge? or 14.7v AGM?
Well undercharging kills the chemistry faster for these Varta AGMs so I use the AGM charge profile and keep an eye on the input power draw, the voltage, and the bubbling ... normal as heck
And I keep a hawk eye on the OBD voltage dial (after the boost of course!!) and the data plots say all normal as well ... so weird
I might try something different with this 3rd one ... try for about 50% ctek time when the car is dormant?? Hmmm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well undercharging kills the chemistry faster for these Varta AGMs
I believe most flat batteries in modern cars are down to inadequate charging, this is due to stop/start and regeneration, with regeneration the EMU will not allow the alternator to charge the battery via engine power if the SOC is above 75%, the other 25% charge must be by regeneration only. This means the battery is mainly undercharged which shortens its life. To test this just disconnect the negative rail battery sensor which will force the EMU to charge the battery continuously as it did prior to smart charging, the charge rate is between 13.8 and 14.3 volts, in this regime the alternator will always attempt to charge the battery to its full extent.

By doing this, stop/start and regeneration will not function, as far as efficiency is concerned this makes little difference.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes inadequate charging is deadly for the AGMs in our cars. I never use the ECO system (always tap that button!). Interesting tidbit about the 75% soc limit ... good thing the Ctek keeps mine high between trips. And those short trips are the ones which harm the battery ... hardly have any charging activity due engine loads.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
My battery is still fine after almost five years. I also push the ECO button upon starting the car. I haven't worn out my finger yet!

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's the young'uns playing their music too loud in the car that drains the battery a lot quicker than it ought to...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts