Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Side bar for this thread .....

@TurboKits -- remind us what on earth does this holey gadget do? Just gas volume buffering and noise reduction?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bump - anyone do this? Apparently this muffler is only there to silence the turbo...

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Well .., considering what that oem thingie looks like ... I am pretty certain the gas flow is restricted somewhat,
and pretty sure the overall flow characteristics will be more turbulent. However, if I am already getting 20psi
with my piggyback, which is a software imposed limit apparently, not sure how removing this obstruction will
net another 15% of pressure? That's a lot. Unless of course the software limit is raised?
As fas as "noise" is concerned ... come to think of it ... it seems counter intuitive removing this makes it quieter?
Like put a 120mm fan with nominal flow at the intake of a PC (to approximate the same flowing into a chamber
condition) and it seems pretty "quiet" ... now put one of those those large pore foam dust filters before (or even
after) the fan and sure enough the noise level goes up, as the otherwise laminar flow (at least within the aperture
of the fan housing) has been disrupted by all the little obstructions.
Another example is nominal water faucet flow without (plain flow) and with an aerator (holey obstruction).
Guess, some day, I will just have to take some qualitative dB measurements before and after yanking this gadget
out of the exhaust path ... cuz the unknown here is what "nominal flow" is?
OK now I have a headache ... :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ordered the TK intercooler, I look forward to losing that baffle and hearing more noise. I really want a bigger turbo tho....Someone needs to get on that ?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ordered the TK intercooler, I look forward to losing that baffle and hearing more noise. I really want a bigger turbo tho....Someone needs to get on that 

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
I double this sentiment.

Bigger turbo!

I'm saving to get that intercooler as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Coming from the VW crowd, I was spoiled by all the tuning/upgrade options. There's barely anything for this platform and there's SO much potential the aftermarket companies are simply not tapping into yet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Coming from the VW crowd, I was spoiled by all the tuning/upgrade options. There's barely anything for this platform and there's SO much potential the aftermarket companies are simply not tapping into yet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
You think VW has mods? Try coming from owning a japanese car. The amount of mods and toys they sell to rice out your car with is dizzying. And before that I had a jeep, now that's a mod scene that can bankrupt you. This is seriously killing me. I love modding my car and making it mine.

Driving something everyone else on the road has bothers me to no end.

It's also not just the lack of mods. But the price of the mods that do exist are so expensive. The tiny hood emblem I just changed was selling for about $100. Luckily I waited and caught somebody else selling it for less.
Try doing anything from Brabus or Lorinzer, etc.

But I guess the price comes with the territory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You think VW has mods? Try coming from owning a japanese car. The amount of mods and toys they sell to rice out your car with is dizzying. And before that I had a jeep, now that's a mod scene that can bankrupt you. This is seriously killing me. I love modding my car and making it mine.

Driving something everyone else on the road has bothers me to no end.

It's also not just the lack of mods. But the price of the mods that do exist are so expensive. The tiny hood emblem I just changed was selling for about $100. Luckily I waited and caught somebody else selling it for less.
Try doing anything from Brabus or Lorinzer, etc.

But I guess the price comes with the territory.
Haha I used to have a Wrangler. The mod bug is a serious issue

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would be nice to have a turbo upgrade option for the CLA250....AMG guys getting all the love right now tho

1 - 20 of 35 Posts