Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couldn't have done this without Dionisio talking me through correct way to pop vent out. Additionally I would like to thank hnb48 for teaching Dionisio. Members like this help to build a great online community that benefits all of us. I just had the extra time on hand to take photos. Knowing what Dionisio went through and what I was about to go through had I not been schooled on the removal is what drove me to create this DIY thread.

I got an OEM tool from Dionisio and modified my ebay tools to be the exact spec. Had to use a torch to heat them to get correct angle. Then ground them down a little bit and smoothed off burrs.

Putter

OEM tool on right, slightly modified ebay on left, stock ebay in middle.

After all were curved and cut

Ring Finger Fashion accessory Jewellery Hand

Trunk Car Vehicle Subcompact car Auto part

Sport utility vehicle Vehicle Car Family car

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First feed tool through inner ring of vent

Floor Metal

Then hook hole on bottom. With free hand apply downward pressure to keep hook seated. With opposing hand on T-handle pull upward and out with a good amount of force. It won't break.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Product

Auto part

Once left and right vents are out use a T-20 torx bit to loosen retaining screws that hold head unit in place

Product Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting

Auto part Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Vehicle Fictional character

After that you're ready to pull radio. There's no need for removing any of lower dash or center console.

Vehicle Car Electronics Multimedia Compact car

Vehicle Car Auto part

Auto part Engine Machine

Cable Technology Networking cables Finger Electronic device

Electronics Textile Technology Machine Auto part

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Then just pull plug out of head unit. The two bottom wire packs are easily removed by just squeezing locking tab down and pulling them out. No need to remember which went where because they only fit one way.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Gadget

The optical pack has to go back into outside slot though

Wire Auto part Electrical wiring

Once all required connectors are removed your stock plug will now look like this

Electronics Technology Wire Electronic device Cable

This is a good time to separate the remaining part of stock plug from rest of harness so it has enough slack to be tucked into a compartment under the Mitsubishi-Benz radio
Text Font

Auto part Engine Vehicle Machine Pipe

Auto part Vehicle Wire Car Vehicle door

Wire Electrical wiring Electronics Technology Auto part

When you've obtained enough slack, tape harnesses back up separately. You can connect VIM to stock harness and tuck it away
Auto part Technology Automotive exterior Car Fictional character

Cable management Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electronics accessory

Take the three connectors removed from stock plug and insert them into VIM on the end of plug that goes back into radio and reinstall radio plug the same way you removed it.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now for putting command back in place. There are two cam levers that need to be in a set position for the unit to slide in

Vehicle Car

Auto part Tire Bumper Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Auto part Automotive lighting Engine Automotive exterior Vehicle

When sliding radio back in make sure you leave the first white plug, the one that was removed from radio in the beginning, over to the side so it doesn't get pushed behind radio. When you're an inch or two away from flush, plug that white one back in and seat radio. There will be a small amount of resistance. There's more back there now, but if it doesn't want to go, that OEM side of the harness isn't tucked down deep enough. Get it out of the way and you're set. Then hold radio flush to dash while tightening torx screws one at a time on both sides. Last is reinstalling the vents
Product Tire Auto part Automotive tire Wheel

Auto part Engine

Once lined up they pop right back in.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can u comment on how hard u think it would be to remove the maim screen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
Honestly haven't even looked at it. There are videos on youtube that look easy. BUT there was a video for installing VIM where a guy used plastic trim tools to pop vents out of an A model. There's no way to do that without damaging vent or dash and the PDF that MB has for this procedure is not at all helpful.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome DIY. Thanks for documenting the process.
Thank you. I would've liked to have done a video, but just impossible without an extra set of hands. And the only video out there is way out of line with what needs to come out and how much trim has to come off.

I still have one extra tool left if anybody wants it PM and I'll get it to you.

· Registered
920 Posts
Thanks for the Shout-Out Pete!

Couldn't have done this without Dionisio talking me through correct way to pop vent out. I got an OEM tool from him and modified my ebay tools to be the exact spec. Had to use a torch to heat them to get correct angle. Then ground them down a little bit and smoothed off burrs.

View attachment 7046

OEM tool on right, slightly modified ebay on left, stock ebay in middle.

After all were curved and cut
View attachment 7048 View attachment 7049 View attachment 7050

· Registered
920 Posts
Pete, I have to say you went above and beyond and posted an outstanding tutorial on how to do the vent removal and VIM harness install! Excellent work Buddy!

Reactions: Pete

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Shout-Out Pete!
Only speaking the truth. I'd have destroyed the vents and had a mental breakdown if I followed the MB instructions. Couldn't have made this for the rest if you didn't talk me through getting first one out and also getting me proper tool so that I could mod the ebay ones to OEM spec. Thank you!

· Registered
920 Posts
My pleasure Brotha!

· Registered
920 Posts
Hey Pete. ...fyi hnb48 is the one who first taught me how to remove the vents. he deserves some dap as well!

QUOTE=Pete;61528]Only speaking the truth. I'd have destroyed the vents and had a mental breakdown if I followed the MB instructions. Couldn't have made this for the rest if you didn't talk me through getting first one out and also getting me proper tool so that I could mod the ebay ones to OEM spec. Thank you![/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.