Mercedes CLA Forum banner

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A TRAILER HITCH FOR MY 2015 CLA 250??? Just for Two Bicycles???

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xddarkx 
#1 ·
I had a Real Nice Thule Roof Rack on my BMW Sport Coupe but I DON'T want that for my Mercedes. In my Opinion, it wouldn't look right. If anyone could HELP me with this, it would be much appreciated. Thank You ALL ahead of time.

#2 ·
Same Here- Installed a Curt hitch for my Thule bike rack

I installed a Curt 1 1/4" receiver hitch so I could use my Thule bike rack. Ended up having to install it by myself and it was a bit tough but got it done. I did initially go to a Curt re-seller to try and have them install it and when they saw my car was a 45 AMG they said no way. Reason? Well since Curt had not installed this on a the 45, (only certified it for the 250) they would not touch it. Since you have a 250 I'd find a local Curt re-seller and have them do it and save the pain of personally installing it.

Here is the hitch used- https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/mercedes-benz/cla-class/2017/C12163.html

#6 ·
This is REALLY HELPFUL. Thank you Guys for Chiming in. I really appreciate it. My family has a CnC Plasma Steel Cutting Machine and I thought I was gonna have to do some Serious Fabrication and Welding. They (etrailer) told Me that "Yes, for my 2015 Mercedes CLA250 they have the Curt hitch part # C12163 which is a confirmed fit and would work well". This is a Class II hitch with a 1-1/4 inch opening and a 3,500 lb trailer towing capacity. I asked him if it would fit my 2015 CLA 250 with the AMG body kit and suspension etc....and he said "NO". If all I have to do is take it to the Body Shop and get the back lower valance notched or something???.......I will pay for the Body Work and respray...if that's all it takes. As long as it has Holes for Screws and I have Metal, I'm HAPPY. Thanks again for Chiming in You GUYS. I ABSOLUTELY have to make a rear trailer hitch work. My Fat-Ass needs to ride my Mountain Bike and Road Bike RELIGIOUSLY. Peace...... :D

#9 ·
I can confirm Curt 12163 hitch will fit a 2014 CLA 250. Just clears the sensor plugs. If you have a bumper trim similar to mine pictured, you will have to remove the entire bumper, and note there are three plastic and one metal nut on each side of the bumper crease going from the wheel to the tail lights. They are quite difficult to reach.

Attachments

#10 ·
I know this is old but go with a curt and in the event you want to pull a jetski get the euro ball instead of the standard curt one as the euro receiver is a one piece curved tube that follows the contour of the bumper and raises the ball height so you can raise the hitch high enough to level the trailer to take the weight off of the hitch and onto the trailer axle. I had one of these on my Passat and it pulled my seadoo RXT/X 260 supercharged ski with no problems. You can even get a wiring kit that’s vehicle specific and they have one for the CLA.

#11 · (Edited)
Hey there, apologies for bumping an old thread, but I stumbled upon it while searching for something similar. I see that you had trouble installing a Curt 1 1/4" receiver hitch on your 2015 CLA 250 for your Thule bike rack. I can imagine it must have been a bit of a challenge. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful to know what to expect. By the way, I also found some useful info about bike insurance and how it can cover you while transporting it in your car. You might want to check it out at sundaysinsurance.co.uk. It's always better to be safe than sorry, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.