Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That the CLA is lacking several things that have become standard on other cars, especially all other Mercedes? I know it doesn't seem like much and because of all of the lag time leading up to its launch it's allowed for more time to dissect its flaws, but in the last few weeks I've kind of been let down by glaring omissions on the vehicle. First, I noticed that there are no fog lights on the car. I don't know if this will change or if I just plain missed them but that seems to be a big loss. Apart from functionality, I think they just add style and accentuate the look of any car. Second, the lack of spare tire was disappointing. I know most spares are junk anyway, and I've only had to use mine once in 8 years but you never know when it might be needed and I'm not sure if run flats are an adequate substitution. Lastly, the fact that the hood is held open by a rod and not struts seems a little weird. My '05 C230 even has struts as do most cars the CLA will compete with so I just find it shocking. Again, not all of these are deal breakers but they start to add up and I start to question where else they cut costs to keep the price low. Your thoughts? Did I miss anything else?

·
Registered
178 Posts
What really bothers me is that you don't have the option of power folding mirrors in the US. You can however get them in Germany as an option. I also don't understand why they decided to go with a tablet style navigation system as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, maybe I'm nitpicking it just seems like these are items that are "standard" on most vehicles these days, as well as keyless go thank you. I know they had to leave some things out to get to their price point to attract the biggest number of buyers and again at this price I know it's not going to include everything on people's wish lists, just thinking out loud I guess.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
That the CLA is lacking several things that have become standard on other cars, especially all other Mercedes? I know it doesn't seem like much and because of all of the lag time leading up to its launch it's allowed for more time to dissect its flaws, but in the last few weeks I've kind of been let down by glaring omissions on the vehicle. First, I noticed that there are no fog lights on the car. I don't know if this will change or if I just plain missed them but that seems to be a big loss. Apart from functionality, I think they just add style and accentuate the look of any car. Second, the lack of spare tire was disappointing. I know most spares are junk anyway, and I've only had to use mine once in 8 years but you never know when it might be needed and I'm not sure if run flats are an adequate substitution. Lastly, the fact that the hood is held open by a rod and not struts seems a little weird. My '05 C230 even has struts as do most cars the CLA will compete with so I just find it shocking. Again, not all of these are deal breakers but they start to add up and I start to question where else they cut costs to keep the price low. Your thoughts? Did I miss anything else?
First, the car isn't missing fog lights. They're integrated into the headlamps. The owners manual includes instructions on their use.

Second, get used to not having spare tires. They're a thing of the past -- too costly and runflats are better and safer in the long run, not to mention the fact that donuts are often flat because most people don't remember to check the air in them making runflats more reliable (as a safety feature combined with TPMS).

Third (and lastly), yes, this is weird to me. It should have had struts holding up the hood BUT, remember, the CLA is really a $20K(ish) economy car built by a luxury brand (not a $30K car). We just get the upgraded 250 as our base model in the US. Lots of $20K cars don't have struts. Heck, our Pilot, which came in at about $42K has a rod to prop up the hood.

I have more issues with the 45, however, including its lack of standard leather and Recaros which are both standard on the similarly priced S4 as well as its lack of a standard sunroof in lieu of the Pano (even though I want the Pano...which, oddly, was more expensive on the CLA than the C-Class -- at least when I last compared).

-Eric

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the fog lights, I guess I've never seen them integrated into headlights before. And yes, I've read that recently more and more manufacturers are moving away from spares, even premium brands such as Lexus and Audi, I guess I better just get used to it. I agree about the CLA being a $20Kish automobile, it's just hard to separate sometimes when you see the star emblem on the hood. And like I said, I drive a 2005 C230 coupe and it appears in several areas MB went backwards/cheaper with this model which I didn't think was possible compared to the C230. Oh well, I still love the car and barring a horrible test drive, I will be taking one home in the next few weeks.

Regarding your comments on the 45, I totally agree with the lack of standard features, but again at that price, you had to figure they were going to nickel and dime you for everything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My guess is that the CLA has a rod for holding up the hood because the hood is made of aluminum to take some of the weight off the front wheels, improving the car's F/R balance. A lightweight aluminum hood is easy to lift without benefit of struts or springs. Many FWD cars are made that way now.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, panoramic roof, power rear sun shade, HD back up camera,GPS, leather, 1000 watt 16 speakers sound system in a Hyundai Genesis and Azera sedan at CLA250 price range with 290 hp. All of above + blind spot detector, + lane deviation warning for under $30k in a new Mazda 6 all with keyless GO. So why not look at those cars ( I will for my next commuter.) If you want a German brand ( built in Hungary,) you have to give up on something guys.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
My guess is that the CLA has a rod for holding up the hood because the hood is made of aluminum to take some of the weight off the front wheels, improving the car's F/R balance. A lightweight aluminum hood is easy to lift without benefit of struts or springs. Many FWD cars are made that way now.
Sorry, but no. Don't kid yourself. It was a cost cutting measure only.

Do you know how many cars have aluminum hoods with struts...cars with far more sporting intentions than a base CLA? Besides, the difference in weight between a metal rod and struts is nominal.

Audi has been doing the aluminum thing for years (decades at this point). You don't prop the hood of an R8 with a metal rod.

-Eric

·
Registered
534 Posts
My wife's Lexus doesn't have hydraulic struts for the hood. I installed aftermarket which look oem.

eBay is you friend ������

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really don't plan on being under the hood... I am looking for performance, nice ride, clean, fun.. but no headach, no grease, no oil change, no lookie under hoodie:big smile:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really don't plan on being under the hood... I am looking for performance, nice ride, clean, fun.. but no headach, no grease, no oil change, no lookie under hoodie:big smile:
I agree. Its all down to the Dealership. If they want it to be easier then they can put the struts on, lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, I know it's seldom that one would open it, it's just a fit/finish thing for me. Living in Florida and experiencing lovebug season, I tend to go through washer fluid more quickly than others and it's easier to replace it yourself than having to bring it somewhere. Plus, I like keeping the engine bay clean and wiped down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay. So does anyone wonder that this car will feel not like a Mercedes, but rather say a regular car with some cool gadgets inside and the name Mercedes stamped on the car?? I'm starting to think this won't feel like a Mercedes at all. No matter the price point.
??

Would love to hear from the non-dealers on here that aren't trying to sell a car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have no doubt about it feeling like a Mercedes. However, it will be missing a lot of stuff that would make it a Honda, Chevy or Ford...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Okay. So does anyone wonder that this car will feel not like a Mercedes, but rather say a regular car with some cool gadgets inside and the name Mercedes stamped on the car?? I'm starting to think this won't feel like a Mercedes at all. No matter the price point.
??

Would love to hear from the non-dealers on here that aren't trying to sell a car.
You have to first answer a question : What exactly do you think a Mercedes should feel like ? Then I can tell you if you would be pleased or not with the CLA250.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts