Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Does the turbo self cool after turn off?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jmc 
#1 ·
Hello, I’m trying to find information on the turbo in my CLA45. I have searched online but to no avail, I have been told to run the car after a long drive for the turbo to cool down and then I have been told it self cools after it has been switched off and no need to wait 🤷‍♂️Any info 👍🏻
many thanks.

#2 ·
The old technology turbos do require one to idle the car for a few minutes , to allow the turbo to "cool" down and not cook the oil...

but the current turbos do not require it.

Unless you are tracking the vehicle, which you are probably running it close to the redline for a long period of time, I would suggest to drive the car at regular road speed for at least 10 mins, to extend longevity of the turbo. But the latter is only if you track the car like mad.

Otherwise, if you drive your car as a daily driver and not redlining the engine at every opportunity, then you will not need to do anything different from driving a normally aspirated car.

Most importantly, don't cheap out on the synthetic engine oil. Get the right stuff meeting or exceeding Mercedes specs.

Reactions: CLA45AMG15
#3 ·
The old technology turbos do require one to idle the car for a few minutes , to allow the turbo to "cool" down and not cook the oil...

but the current turbos do not require it.

Unless you are tracking the vehicle, which you are probably running it close to the redline for a long period of time, I would suggest to drive the car at regular road speed for at least 10 mins, to extend longevity of the turbo. But the latter is only if you track the car like mad.

Otherwise, if you drive your car as a daily driver and not redlining the engine at every opportunity, then you will not need to do anything different from driving a normally aspirated car.

Most importantly, don't cheap out on the synthetic engine oil. Get the right stuff meeting or exceeding Mercedes specs.
Thanks for the info Mav!, 👍🏻

#8 ·
its amazing how mommy nature has bound humans and machines (cars lathes ships etc)

we are created
we need to warm up and cool down before a run to not damage any internals
we need fuel
we need maintenance and supplements
we need clean air and clean blood
we love to get cleaned up and dressed up
we get bouts of cerebral disconnect for no reason
we get all lopsided when a small part gets hurt (ever walk with a hurt pinkie toe? drive with a loose bolt somewhere?)
we are appreciative when folks “listen” to us (my mech stetho is in the trunk)
we love new “shoes” and they gotta “fit” right
we get old and creaky
we get recycled

good grief i can write a childrens book! [emoji23]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.