Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Thought one side was marked with an imprint and thats the side you push the hidden tab in to release?
Or are the new cars different?

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
59 Posts
I finally pried one out. Problem is my new projector ones from China don’t seem to work. It just just flickers and also the nearby red light on the inside of the door panel starts to flicker on and off with it. I figure it’s drawing too much current.

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
59 Posts
It was a LED for LED swap so I am a bit surprised. I an going to hook up one directly to a 12 volt battery and measure how much current it draws. Since the other light mounted on the inside of the door started blinking as well, I can only assume that there is some electronic circuit driving these lights and it was being overloaded and auto-resetting, repeatedly.

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
59 Posts
Everything works as normal with the original light re-installed - so its an issue in the cheapo logo LED projectors probably. I tried 2 and both were the same. I may return them but it may not be worth the hassle since they were cheap. I ordered a different model from Amazon and they should be here Thursday. I will post the results.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
if you are keeping the cheapoes and if you dont mind making a sacrificial offering to our Forum Deity ... open one up and look at the drive section maybe post a pic or two ... could save forum folks some headaches later on :)
even for ordinary 168 bulb replacements there are quite the variation in led drive elements ... i recall way back when i spent a small fortune for samples and then weeding them out ... but then saved the crummy ones for an old car that didn't care what you put in the sockets, heh!

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
p.s. this is a shot in the dark (no pun intended)
but if you happen to have an oscilloscope you can see if the voltage at the connector is constant or modulated
if it's constant then a cheapy load resistor should do it (and maybe a smoothing capacitor etc to to stop spikes)
if it's modulated (typically pulse width modulation) then it's tied to the canbus for monitoring and the led driver circuit needs to be an appropriate one so those units will cost a little more
but hey all this bla bla bla gibberish won't matter if the new replacements work :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I purchased off ebay and it worked without flickering. Might be a bad set. I would send a video to the vendor and ask for a new set to be sent.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The 2020’s may have different circuits ...
Mercedes don't want to lose money to china on those projector leds.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts

You know, folks were retrofitting ntg4.5 onto ntg4, 5.x onto 4.5, and now betcha theres an underground trying for 6.x onto 5.x
Maybe the aux lighting controls and signals will drop out of that effort

·
Registered
2020 CLA250, White
59 Posts
SUCCESS! The latest set I ordered from Amazon worked without any flickering and they are nice and bight. I did have to make them fit though, as they were not the correct shape physically. The 2020 CLA ones are an oval shape and these were a rectangular but the biggest issue was the new ones were a bit longer. It didn't take long to take a bit of plastic off the housing so that they (just) pop in to the openings in the bottom of the doors. Another minor issue was that the 2020 CLA connector uses a 4 pin plug and the new LED's have a 2-pin socket. So an adapter cable needs to added. These projectors look super bright and sharp. Amazon: Amazon.com: WFB Car Door LED Logo Shadow Lights 2Pcs (CLA CLS): Automotive

21 - 40 of 44 Posts