Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if regular radio has option to play ipod what is the drive kit for iphone? and is it included in edition one models? is it necessary ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I was told its pretty much siri interface for the car. Also lets you tweet and facebook from the car. Worth is completely up to you. But its like 600 dollars so I dont know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

·
Registered
230 Posts
The kit allows the iPhone 4 and 4S to replicate the iPhone app content on the CLA dash screen. This adds navigation, iPhone iPod interface with album art and social media functionality. Also Internet radio. In the UK we have to for out more for digital DAB radio so this is an option if you have an iPhone.

If you have an iPhone you can download the app for free and check out some of the content without having to first purchase and fit the kit. The voice control is provided by the kit via SIRI.

I believe MB are working on a iPhone 5 version of the kit and also a kit to upgrade to iPhone 5 connectivity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the website for the Drive Kit so you can see it for yourself. I'm also wondering if it will be good to get it. I'm remembering that Apple was going to work with MB and other manufacturers to add integration of the iPhone to the infotainment system when iOS 7 would come out. I would think that if we spend $600 on this kit, whatever integration will be available as an update. The other thing I'm worried about is that I read somewhere that this works with the 30-pin connector for the iPhone 4 & 4S. I would like to know if it has been updated with the lightning connector for the iPhone 5.

http://drive-kit-plus.com/en/#s/start

·
Registered
122 Posts
i've got this kit. it basically replaces the sat nav package. uses google maps and also allows you to provide mates you're on route to visit know your progress on the go. facebook eg. is accessible and siri will read your updates and comments back to you via the audio 20 interface. neat!
for me it was a no-brainer really, the comand system is circa £2,000 as opposed to the £570 I paid for the kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i've got this kit. it basically replaces the sat nav package. uses google maps and also allows you to provide mates you're on route to visit know your progress on the go. facebook eg. is accessible and siri will read your updates and comments back to you via the audio 20 interface. neat!
for me it was a no-brainer really, the comand system is circa £2,000 as opposed to the £570 I paid for the kit.
I have a few questions, hope you don't mind:

Are you using an iPhone 4/4S or a 5? If a 5, did you use a 30-pin to lightning adapter or did the kit bring a lightning connector?
Is the connection from the glovebox or from the center console?
Would you be able to still connect the phone to the infotainment system via Bluetooth, if you wanted to?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a few questions, hope you don't mind:

Are you using an iPhone 4/4S or a 5? If a 5, did you use a 30-pin to lightning adapter or did the kit bring a lightning connector?
Is the connection from the glovebox or from the center console?
Would you be able to still connect the phone to the infotainment system via Bluetooth, if you wanted to?
np
using a 4s. it aint compatible with 5, yet!
glovebox
yes, it connects via bluetooth regardless, can even use other music apps like Sony Unlimited etc, brilliant!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I'm going to go for the Drive Kit. I have the iPhone 5 and can put the adapter on. I am hoping that MB will update the system a few months after iOS 7 is out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I'm going to go for the Drive Kit. I have the iPhone 5 and can put the adapter on. I am hoping that MB will update the system a few months after iOS 7 is out.
I think someone in this forum claimed that the Lightning to 30-pin connector won't work with the Drive Kit Plus. I am a little skeptical about the claim but just be cautious that it may not work. I believe it is a dealer installed option and you can always install it later. I would advice to just order the car without it. When you know for sure it's compatible with the 5, you install it at the dealership.

For me, I find the Drive Kit Plus interface a little awkward. Therefore, I am skipping it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was told directly by the dev team that an iPhone 5 solution would be ready by the end of the year and replacement bits would be available to adapt already installed iPhone 4/ 4S installations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was told directly by the dev team that an iPhone 5 solution would be ready by the end of the year and replacement bits would be available to adapt already installed iPhone 4/ 4S installations.
Is it possible for you to ask them what they are planning to do as far as iOS 7 integration and if they will retrofit whatever they implement to owners of the CLA with the Drive Kit for the iPhone? Remember that Apple had stated that they were working with several car manufacturers to integrate the iPhone using iOS 7 and the infotainment system. MB was one of the manufacturers they had mentioned.

Text Font Technology Gadget Electronic device

·
Registered
347 Posts
The lighting pin to 30 pin connection works with the iPod/USB Interface.

I played with the Drive Kit at training and it wasn't for me. You can stream pandora now through Bluetooth anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed the kit. Confirming: apple's 30pin to lightning adapter doesn't make the kit work with iphone 5s. It only charges it, but the phone says the accessory is not supported. The car display also states that it can't find the phone.

The cord is in the glovebox and it's a pain in the butt. Why couldn't they make it in the glovebox where it is easily accessible????

The cost of $600 is SUPER misleading because it doesn't include installation, which was another $450.

So, $1000 and three days later I have a 30 pin iphone charger in my glovebox.

Drivekitplus website states the iphone 5 solution will be out by year end. It just doesn't say what year. Iphone 5 has been out for 15 months now and 5s is old news.

Now that $2500 media package sounds more attractive all of a sudden.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just installed the kit. Confirming: apple's 30pin to lightning adapter doesn't make the kit work with iphone 5s. It only charges it, but the phone says the accessory is not supported. The car display also states that it can't find the phone.

The cord is in the glovebox and it's a pain in the butt. Why couldn't they make it in the glovebox where it is easily accessible????

The cost of $600 is SUPER misleading because it doesn't include installation, which was another $450.

So, $1000 and three days later I have a 30 pin iphone charger in my glovebox.

Drivekitplus website states the iphone 5 solution will be out by year end. It just doesn't say what year. Iphone 5 has been out for 15 months now and 5s is old news.

Now that $2500 media package sounds more attractive all of a sudden.
They need to stop doing this kind of business, seriously, its not just MB that does this small text hidden price sh*t, its everywhere and it is super annoying and decieving. Can't they just state it clearly what are the total freaking prices when we buy something ?

I know consumers are supposed to read everything clearly BUT hide those damn small fonts text like an easter egg in a wall of text or in a corner ? seriously ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Getting mine installed Thursday...I have the iPhone 5s. I will see what they tell me when I taking it regarding compatibility. Since my cla is the first one they are installing it on, they won't charge me for the install. Instead, they want my feedback of what I think of the app.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I spoke with the accessories manager at my dealer and he indicated MB emailed him advising the new Kit for iPhone 5 will be available sometime in Q1 of 2014. I see where on the Kit's website it states the Kit is available now. So I decided to send an email via the site to inquire into the contrary information. When filling out the required info, one of the required fields is the "Country" you are from. Yet, there is no selection for "U.S." In the drop-down menu. Does this suggests that the Kit is available only outside the U.S.?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So my next project is iPhone 5 image on my external screen , whats on my iPhone will show on my screen exactly. . Since I have a dual input screen it should be easy, HDMI out from phone to component,component to screen. Other then pushing a button on wheel and button on iPhone, Push a button on iPhone say "siri get me directions to home" The maps should show on my screen, dont see how its different and Im not bound to a app. ( keep in mind a integration unit you can have it on you main screen)

Please dont say, "Its not safe. Do you remember before voice command when you had to adjust ac/heat and radio by pushing buttons?"

·
Registered
141 Posts
So my next project is iPhone 5 image on my external screen , whats on my iPhone will show on my screen exactly. . Since I have a dual input screen it should be easy, HDMI out from phone to component,component to screen. Other then pushing a button on wheel and button on iPhone, Push a button on iPhone say "siri get me directions to home" The maps should show on my screen, dont see how its different and Im not bound to a app. ( keep in mind a integration unit you can have it on you main screen)

Please dont say, "Its not safe. Do you remember before voice command when you had to adjust ac/heat and radio by pushing buttons?"
Sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry for last fail! What I meant to write was: sounds good, but how do you get " component out from phone and component on to screen"?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.