Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am a pretty new owner of a CLA 250 (2018) and was planning a trip to lake Tahoe over the weekend.
I have snow chains (z cable) prepared but heard some friends advise me against driving my car in case it will get damaged, and suggested I rent instead.
I do have mfg warranty, dent protection etc and will let a friend with more experience driving in the snow drive, but still was not sure if it is going to be too risky - esp, since the associate at Autozone told me I was "crazy trying to drive my mercedes to Tahoe".
Should I just go? or should I rent?

Also, how do I know if my tires are all season? (says M.S)

thanks!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Copy the name of the tires and do a search to see if they're summer or all-season.

If it's just a weekend trip, and you can rent a car better equipped for snow, why not leave your baby in the garage and worry about spiral fractures instead?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Also, check the 2018 MB CLA Owners Manual, does it say "do not use chains?"
If you don't have a manual it can be downloaded from the MB USA site.

·
Registered
37 Posts
almost slid my sport plus (with Mich AS3+) into a pileup locally.
for this and other incidents, like losing some grip on a downshift accel several times,
i would recommend NO. the fwd is not as stable as i had hoped. maybe full winter tires ok.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drove my 4Matic to Tahoe last year end Feb/beginning March. I used to live in Colorado which is why I have a 4Matic and why I have fewer reservations about taking my CLA out in the snow as I've had experiences with snow and ice in all kinds of cars.

The first two days we were there, getting around town with light snow wasn't an issue. On the way back, I-80 got dumped on and chain controls were in effect for all non 4WD/AWD vehicles.

The two biggest issues I would warn you about, even as a 4Matic owner:

1) If chain controls are in effect, you have to put on chains or some kind of traction device, especially with FWD, and even then they reserve the right to check if you're simply carrying some kind of device. I'm pretty sure the CLA manual specifically forbids the use of chains on the car. At best, you can probably put on AutoSocks and get away with it, I got mine for about $90. I didn't have to use them so I can't attest to how well it'll perform. But actual chains will mess up your car.

2) Ground clearance. Oh boy this one made me nervous. The CLA (even FWD, with winter tires – can't emphasize that enough) will plow through fine in up to about 8 inches or snow of soft powder snow. But on public roads, it's never going to be completely powder anymore. For me, it was all slush and chunks of ice and muddy snow, especially on the freeway. There were long stretches of I-80 that I could hear it riding up under the car and it broke my heart each and every time. I had to dodge large chunks a lot, resulting in all the tires ending up outside of the tire tracks and sliding in the snow a bit. Thankfully, MB's stability control is one of the best. But times like these made me miss driving an SUV.

It's up to you if you'd take either of those chances. If it were me personally in your shoes, the FWD+all season combo alone would make me rent a cheap SUV for the trip. All seasons are somewhat okay in combination with 4WD/AWD as long as it's not brutally cold.

If you want to try it, I would put on dedicated winter/snow tires and really pay attention to the ground clearance of your car, and carry that AutoSock with me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Definitely, rent a SUV with winter tires and bring your chains. The last time I was there in winter it snowed at least 36"+ for 3 out of 4 days. We rode a school bus to the ski areas rather than take the rental car and the piles on the side of the road were higher than the bus.

I'm very experienced in driving in the snow. We get snow around Thanksgiving and never see the grass again until Spring. I only take out the CLA on dry road days through the winter every 1 to 2 weeks to keep it running. The rest of the winter it's 4WD only. Besides why drive it on sandy, salt treated roads that prematurely rust your car.

Save your Mercedes for a trip there in the summer when you can enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello!
I am a pretty new owner of a CLA 250 (2018) and was planning a trip to lake Tahoe over the weekend.
I have snow chains (z cable) prepared but heard some friends advise me against driving my car in case it will get damaged, and suggested I rent instead.
I do have mfg warranty, dent protection etc and will let a friend with more experience driving in the snow drive, but still was not sure if it is going to be too risky - esp, since the associate at Autozone told me I was "crazy trying to drive my mercedes to Tahoe".
Should I just go? or should I rent?

Also, how do I know if my tires are all season? (says M.S)

thanks!
How about letting us know what you decided and how the trip turned out? By the way the M.S. on your tires stands for Mud & Snow (pretty much the same as All Season) but not full fledged Snow Tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts