Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was some promo a car with BMW driving experience plastered all over it. I put it in sports mode opened her up a bit (still running it in) and went around him. Just wanted to here the crackle of the exhaust over the sound of his little toy car.

Ended up pullin up next to each other at lights just after and a third car next to us looks over and gave me a thumbs up.

Cla - 1 M235 - 0.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I test drove one of them a while back. Nice car. If it wasn't for the wife being a massive Mercedes fan, and hating BMWs (you know what they say, happy wife happy life) and the CLA looking so dam good I would have gotten one. I'm had a 135i coupe for about 3 and half years and the M235 was similar to that, but more refined. But they may have been due to the auto tranny in the M235, whereas my 135 was a manual. I went through 4 sets of rear tyres in less than 30K in that car. :)

The engine in those BMWs is fantastic, as is the auto gearbox. That thing felt very planted on the road as well. The 135 used to get loose close to the edge of its limits and under hard braking. The 235 felt way more stable and composed. Not sold on its looks however. Like most of the BMWs these days they all look a little awkward. As mush as I try to love their styling it just doesn't hit the mark for me. And they definitely don't come close to the CLA. I've always loved the original CLS styling and I think the CLA is even better looking again.

Also, the 235 is the same price, if not a little bit more once you added a couple of options, than the CLA45 in Australia, which is ridiculous given that it is not a true M car. If the 235 was a 5-10 grand cheaper then maybe I would have gone for it. But only if I could have talked the wife into it, which would have never happened :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks horrid. It's like a coupe that had been born prematurely. That rear is something only a mother could love and it sounded just as bad.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It looks horrid. It's like a coupe that had been born prematurely. That rear is something only a mother could love and it sounded just as bad.
lol lol

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
As I said in the other thread, the ugly duckling unfortunately still has not fully out grow itself.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
do you have the CLA45? If not the BMW M235, heck even the 228 will murder the CLA from a performance stand point. BMW's make great engines and the transmission is silky smooth. I do agree it's not a headturner of a car though. A big improvement over the 1 but looks like any other BMW. Agree the rear is a bit off but i wouldnt say it's hideous. Just nothing special in terms of design.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I test drove the 235 before buying the cla45. Not totally sure if I like the rear of the car and didn't care much for the interior. It does feel just as fast as the 45 IMO but at the end of the day, I don't care for 2 door cars. I also don't want to invest in a pair of sunglasses, grow a half beard and wear down the top of my steering wheel :D

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
agree on the interior of the BMW.. its so plane jane and looks like its from the 2000's. The gauges are horrible and boring. But it's a great driving machine :) Just not for me

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I test drove the 235 before buying the cla45. Not totally sure if I like the rear of the car and didn't care much for the interior. It does feel just as fast as the 45 IMO but at the end of the day, I don't care for 2 door cars. I also don't want to invest in a pair of sunglasses, grow a half beard and wear down the top of my steering wheel :D
The M235i steering wheel was so lame might as well wear it down at the top to make it more interesting.

The rest of the interior is just as boring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you have the CLA45? If not the BMW M235, heck even the 228 will murder the CLA from a performance stand point. BMW's make great engines and the transmission is silky smooth. I do agree it's not a headturner of a car though. A big improvement over the 1 but looks like any other BMW. Agree the rear is a bit off but i wouldnt say it's hideous. Just nothing special in terms of design.
"murder" is a pretty strong word! The 235 comes pretty darn close but not quite,
. Less than a sec in it but the CLA was ahead. :) I'd say they'd be on par. Unless you like to drifting and rear wheel drive shenanigans.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
"murder" is a pretty strong word! The 235 comes pretty darn close but not quite,
. Less than a sec in it but the CLA was ahead. :) I'd say they'd be on par. Unless you like to drifting and rear wheel drive shenanigans.
I said if you don't have the AMG CLA45 you are going to get murdered and trust me the 250 will get murdered :) but it will still look sexier

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I said if you don't have the AMG CLA45 you are going to get murdered and trust me the 250 will get murdered :) but it will still look sexier
Cla250 0 to 60 at 6.2s, vs. 228i at 5.4s, slower but not murdered. Cla250 4matic should improve from street light to street light, may even get ahead of 228i rwd.

Of course who buys a CLA250 for drag race?

45 is a little faster than M235i, and if you are not a race car driver, not driving on a track, the 45 is more satisfying to drive than the M235i.

But the worst part about the M235i is the interior. You almost feel compelled to order red seats just to distract you from paying attention to the rest of the inside.

I for one never paid much attention about the interior of a car, mostly focused on the fun driving part, but for the first time, the dull interior look of the M235i actually distracted me and made the driving less fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
haha my bad :wink:
yeah, the cla in standard guise is no match for the bmw drive train

·
Registered
871 Posts
It was some promo a car with BMW driving experience plastered all over it. I put it in sports mode opened her up a bit (still running it in) and went around him. Just wanted to here the crackle of the exhaust over the sound of his little toy car.

Ended up pullin up next to each other at lights just after and a third car next to us looks over and gave me a thumbs up.

Cla - 1 M235 - 0.
I do this to Prius (Prii?) all the time. I like to make them feel bad about their poor car choice. :big smile:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I do this to Prius (Prii?) all the time. I like to make them feel bad about their poor car choice. :big smile:
Prius is one of the best choices from a financial standpoint. Practically uses no gas, no range anxiety, a lot of room for the size, and very good resale value.

As long as the driver has no passion in driving, and don't care for how it looks. Therefore it will be very difficult for you to teach the driver a lesson for having made a poor choice of going for a boring ride.

My suggestion is do this next to an A3 driver:)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Cla250 0 to 60 at 6.2s, vs. 228i at 5.4s, slower but not murdered. Cla250 4matic should improve from street light to street light, may even get ahead of 228i rwd.

Of course who buys a CLA250 for drag race?

45 is a little faster than M235i, and if you are not a race car driver, not driving on a track, the 45 is more satisfying to drive than the M235i.

But the worst part about the M235i is the interior. You almost feel compelled to order red seats just to distract you from paying attention to the rest of the inside.

I for one never paid much attention about the interior of a car, mostly focused on the fun driving part, but for the first time, the dull interior look of the M235i actually distracted me and made the driving less fun.
Okay maybe a murdered was a bit of a strong word.. but have you seen what .8 seconds looks like if they race side by side. The 228 will appear way ahead of the CLA. Also isnt the 4matic slower due to increase weight?

And yup who the heck buys a CLA250 for drag race.. :)

Agree on the BMW interior.. bland and boring... but you must admit this commercial below is just PURE AWESOME.. and it's something our CLA's cant do :p

I found the making of the video/commercial very interesting as well

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Okay maybe a murdered was a bit of a strong word.. but have you seen what .8 seconds looks like if they race side by side. The 228 will appear way ahead of the CLA. Also isnt the 4matic slower due to increase weight?

And yup who the heck buys a CLA250 for drag race.. :)

Agree on the BMW interior.. bland and boring... but you must admit this commercial below is just PURE AWESOME.. and it's something our CLA's cant do :p

I found the making of the video/commercial very interesting as well
About this commercial, not amazed at all. Only those who live in fantasy may be totally sold on it.

And there ain't many of them apparently, because BMW sells very few M235i's in the US.

I agree with the race car driver in that Motortrend video, if you are so good a driver who can push the car to 100% of its limit (of course do so on a track only), the M235i is more fun in such environment.

If you are like the vast majority of drivers, only willing to push the car to 8/10 of the limit from time to time, 45 is more fun.

My personal experience says the 45 is a lot more fun. Because all the perceived negatives about the 45, the less than smooth DCT, the firm suspension...begin to enhance your driving experience when you push it to 8/10.

The 45 is designed for us mere driving enthusiasts (not professional drivers) to be able to fully experience the benefits, instead of dreaming about them.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
awww come on.. that video is awesome :)

Doesn't always apply to all models in their line up but BMW is generally made for the driving enthusiast hence the moniker "The Ultimate Driving Machine".
Mercedes has always targeted more of the Luxary side and Audi is a balance between the two. I dont know at least that was always my view of the 3 major German brands.

Can't comment on the CLA45 since I didnt drive it but the 228 and M235 are a blast to drive. M235 was more than what I wanted to pay for a car so it came down to the A3, 228 and CLA for me. A3 is just too mundane and I never really liked Audi as much as BMW and Mercedes.

So between the 228 and CLA, I thought the 228 was more fun to drive. Overall it just felt more responsive and composed. Especially from a stand still where the CLA's transmission is a bit off. The CLA is by no means terrible, in fact it's quite awesome but I think regarding the driving experience, the bmw wins by a small margin.

Everythign else from interior, to exterior design, to value, to the large pano roof, to the sexy LED taillamps, etc etc all go to the CLA which adds to this emotional appeal that the BMW just doesn't have.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Having owned the last gen N/A straight 6, hydraulic steering, relatively compact 3 series, I can assure you the standard BMW 3 series is no longer the "ultimate driving machine" it once was. Still not bad but not as good.

Below is a list of cars I test drove, before landing on the 45:

Porsche 911 S
Porsche Cayman S
BMW 4 series with performance bits
Audi S5
Maserati Ghibli
MB C63 AMG
Infiniti G37 coupe and sedan with performance packs
Subaru WRX
Nissan 370Z with performance bits
Scion FRS
C7 Corvette Stingray
Jaguar F Type

Against that back drop, the M235i was not particularly a more blast to drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts