Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CLA 250 4Matic AMG, Designo Patagonia Red,Night pkg, Panoramic Sunroof, Burmester Sound , 19" RVK
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I got a 2020 CLA 250 4Matic which is awesome to drive.recently I tried the eco mode.. I was surprised by the downshifting when in ECO Mode.

scenario is that driving in eco mode and when car is at speed and you lift off accelerator the gear selector on the dash goes D green meaning you are in a coasting mode as if car is running freely ie. neutral.
But when am trying to stop, car selects back the gear it was and will not shift gradually to 2nd gear but instead will wait till am almost stopped and then shift from 7th to 2nd rapidly.
When this downshifting is going on what’s annoy me is that you hear and can feel the downshifts..
Am wondering if this is normal hearing the sound and feeling it?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
....you are in a coasting mode as if car is running freely ie. neutral....
Welcome to the CLA Forum yanish3008 :)
You are still covered by MB new car warranty.....correct?

·
Registered
CLA 250 4Matic AMG, Designo Patagonia Red,Night pkg, Panoramic Sunroof, Burmester Sound , 19" RVK
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the CLA Forum yanish3008 :)
You are still covered by MB new car warranty.....correct?
Hello yes still covered under warranty..will check with dealer after lockdown but wanted to know if someone had the same issue.. Whether it’s really an issue or just the way it should be working..

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
a) Great (...yes still covered under warranty..will check with dealer ...)
b) We will see what other Members say, when they see this - sounds like a safety issue to me.

Reactions: yanish3008

·
Registered
2015 CLA 250 4matic
47 Posts
First thing you can do yourself easily, is try resetting the transmission programming back to factory. A search on this sub should find a tutorial showing how. It’s pretty simple to do.

edit: link to transmission reset thread -https://www.mercedescla.org/threads/transmission-reset-the-moment-of-truth.7544/#post-74860

But your case seems a bit severe going from 7-2 rapidly. It should not be doing that obviously. But the reset is worth a try before dealing with the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing you can do yourself easily, is try resetting the transmission programming back to factory. A search on this sub should find a tutorial showing how. It’s pretty simple to do.

edit: link to transmission reset thread -https://www.mercedescla.org/threads/transmission-reset-the-moment-of-truth.7544/#post-74860

But your case seems a bit severe going from 7-2 rapidly. It should not be doing that obviously. But the reset is worth a try before dealing with the dealership.
Ok mate will try reset first and check..but I find it wierd as this occurs only in eco mode.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
eco mode is supposed to hold the high gear till the stop or close to it
unless you are going downhill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok mate will try reset first and check..but I find it wierd as this occurs only in eco mode.
Hello Mate tried doing the reset. And saw now that gearbox recover from the green drive mode to 7th then to 6th and then 5th. After 5th it skips all the gears and directly to 2nd gear. But you still hear the gear changes from the 5th to the 2nd in 2 occurance. But from 7th to 5th it was butter smooth. Thing to remember that this happends only in Eco mode, while in confort or sport mode gear are well and accurately selected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eco mode is supposed to hold the high gear till the stop or close to it
unless you are going downhill
When going downhill gearbox keeps holding the gear. The green D on eco mode happens only when you are coasting as if you have sufficient speed and car is switching to neutral to save fuel.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Hmmm reset also works on the new gearbox
By the way see of the 7 6 5 move still happens after a while
Post reset driving and learning may change that
Same in the 2014 ... stays in 7 till a stop then klunks into 1-2 for the next start

·
Registered
7 Posts
My c118 cla 250 does the same things very aggrresive down shifting and u can really feel the shifting and when u stop to quick in sport mode it seems liek the trans is crying for help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My c118 cla 250 does the same things very aggrresive down shifting and u can really feel the shifting and when u stop to quick in sport mode it seems liek the trans is crying for help
Exactly.. I have a C118 same as you..Do you find it normal? Did you check with your dealer?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Exactly.. I have a C118 same as you..Do you find it normal? Did you check with your dealer?
I have the 2015 CLA250, and my DCT does not have the "coasting" mode (which I think it really great for fuel economy), but it does hold the gear at 5th or 6th, and "appears" to be rapidly changing to "2" when stopped. It was like this from day 1 of ownership.

Honestly, I feel that this DCT is not the best DCT around, and there are some quirks and idiosyncrasies. But I don't think this is a "mechanical issue with the DCT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the 2015 CLA250, and my DCT does not have the "coasting" mode (which I think it really great for fuel economy), but it does hold the gear at 5th or 6th, and "appears" to be rapidly changing to "2" when stopped. It was like this from day 1 of ownership.

Honestly, I feel that this DCT is not the best DCT around, and there are some quirks and idiosyncrasies. But I don't think this is a "mechanical issue with the DCT.
Yeah i too feel this is not the best DCT.. maybe the 9G-tronic is better.. Did you have any issues with the gearbox?? I am just worried in case this cause a mechanical failure or problem in the future. But if you telling me that you got this "Issue" since 1st day of ownership i dont think i should be an issue.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yeah i too feel this is not the best DCT.. maybe the 9G-tronic is better.. Did you have any issues with the gearbox?? I am just worried in case this cause a mechanical failure or problem in the future. But if you telling me that you got this "Issue" since 1st day of ownership i dont think i should be an issue.
I have had my CLA 250 since 2015, like I said, not the quickest/smoothest shifting DCT, but thus far, thank God, it's been running the same as of day 1 of ownership.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
All I know is in even in E mode when full power is extracted the 1 2 3 4 movement is very smooth (after the 2015 tcu update)

I could not do a smoother nor quicker transition any better than this quirky 7gdct so am grateful

1 - 16 of 16 Posts