Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ... is this something that will be standard on the CLA? I'm not sure I understand, or like, this functionality. Something about it just tells me how economical can it be to be starting/stopping the engine or safe, for that matter, to have the car "stop" (turned off?) and having to suddenly accelerate. Maybe I just don't understand this feature. What do you think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
It only functions when the transmission is in "Eco" mode (self-shifting and maximum economy). It also will not shut the engine off when it's in Eco mode unless it's safe to do so (no red-hot turbo for example). So it's not intrusive and is excellent for urban fuel economy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know about the CLA250, but in the new Porsche Boxster you can turn if off and leave everything else the same. I test drove a '13 Boxster a couple of months ago (with a buddy who likely will buy one), and at one point stopped momentarily at a light and thought I had stalled the engine when it died just as I was starting to let out the clutch. But my buddy said, "That's the eco shut-off in action." When we got back to the dealership, we asked the salesman whether it could be turned off, and he said, "Yes, that's what everyone asks."

·
Registered
20 Posts
All Start/Stop systems can turn-it-off, and run just like ordinary system. It is hard to determine how much fuel save with ECO Start/Stop system, but it will save some.
In a tranditional thinking, the starter may not last as long, time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe most new cars will have this technology, so we'll all be getting use to it. I had the same concerns about starter longevity when test driving the new 328, but you're right time will tell. I think most systems will allow you to disable the function.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cars with this system usually have a starter-generator and a regular starter in addition for cold starts. The 250 uses the starter-generator to restart. You don't hear it crank, it just bumps back into action. So starter motor wear is not affected at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife's C-class has it. Very strange first time you come to a stop and the engine shuts off. I can't say she has saved any gas. Might be such a small unnoticeable amount.
The function can be turned off but you will need to turn it off with ever key cycle.
It is very responsive when restarting. Instantly starts. I went from letting off the brake to hitting the gas pretty quick and it was running before I hit the gas pedal.
It restarts 2 ways. One is by engaging the starter just a tap and letting the engine do the rest of the starting and the other is when the engine stops at TDC it just adds fuel and some spark. Starts up quietly.
It will also restart by turning the wheel or hitting the gas pedal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cars with this system usually have a starter-generator and a regular starter in addition for cold starts. The 250 uses the starter-generator to restart. You don't hear it crank, it just bumps back into action. So starter motor wear is not affected at all.
Yes, our '06 Prius has that system, which it uses for cold start, too. You do get used to it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses ... after all said and done, your tech no-how merely confirmed for me that there is no gas savings benefit to such a system. But you are right in opining that this system will probably be standard in most cars by 2020, if not sooner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I kind of like the technology of it. I would keep it all along and feel it has some gas saving in stop & go traffic. Also the HOLD feature works well with it and very relaxing taking the foot off the brakes! I am not worried about the starter wear & tear since all is under warranty (for at least 4-years.) I noticed my2013 c350 4Matic has 2-batteries (one stored in the trunk). I wish MB would disclose more technical details on how all this works and impress the uses of what they sell and build our confidence level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts