Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 CLA250 a couple of months ago and the current mileage is 80,000. A couple of days ago, my friend was driving, and the eco engaged as it normally would. However, when it started, I notice that the radio screen went black and came back on, lasting about two seconds. Then it did it again with me driving. I noticed that the eco had turned off on its own and would not come back on by pushing the button. I had to stop and start the car again, then it would come on and off as it should. So, yesterday I was driving, and I forgot to turn the eco off and sitting at a light, eco engages and I put my foot on the gas peddle and the car died. No lights just died. I turned the key to the off position and then started it right back up. It drove fine. I haven't checked for codes and no messages on my instrument cluster.

· Registered
2021 AMG CLA 45 S Digital White w/Performance Package
596 Posts
Yep, check both batteries, they are the chief suspect in most of the issues happening these days.

· Registered
478 Posts
It does sound like a battery issue. I just replaced mine yesterday and was experiencing all kinds of weirdness and messages. The temps have been pretty low around here (- 22 F.) and that's when an old battery will act up. I can't complain it was the original main battery which made it 9 years old. The new battery fixed all the wacky things that were happening. Be ready for a shock if you call the MB dealership. In the U.S. they'll quote you over $500.00 plus installation (around $700.00 total). I found one for $209.00 at Advanced Auto Parts and replaced it myself. You'll need an AGM H6 / 48 Class battery. In the early years the CLA250 was outfitted with more than one battery size. Mine worked with an H7 AGM which is about 1 inch longer. You have to measure your current battery. If it's the longer H7 you can use either. If it's the H6 you're stuck with that size. Be sure you get the AGM composite. Your car will not work with a standard composition battery. Check the internet for a parts store near you or Sam's Club and Costco offer them. You'll also need a 13 mm. socket and extension for the bracket & a 10 mm. socket/wrench for the terminals. Good Luck!

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I bought a 2014 CLA250 a couple of months ago and the current mileage is 80,000. A couple of days ago, my friend was driving, and the eco engaged as it normally would. However, when it started, I notice that the radio screen went black and came back on, lasting about two seconds. Then it did it again with me driving. I noticed that the eco had turned off on its own and would not come back on by pushing the button. I had to stop and start the car again, then it would come on and off as it should. So, yesterday I was driving, and I forgot to turn the eco off and sitting at a light, eco engages and I put my foot on the gas peddle and the car died. No lights just died. I turned the key to the off position and then started it right back up. It drove fine. I haven't checked for codes and no messages on my instrument cluster.
Definitely a battery issue. Have your batteries tested. Voltage is not enough. Main has to have at least 500 CCA and aux has to have at least 200 CCA for the entire eco start/stop to work seamlessly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
478 Posts
Definitely a battery issue. Have your batteries tested. Voltage is not enough. Main has to have at least 500 CCA and aux has to have at least 200 CCA for the entire eco start/stop to work seamlessly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I agree completely. I was in for a 70K service in November and I specifically made a point to have them check my battery. Knowing it was 9 years old and Winter in the frozen North was upon us, I was thinking about changing it regardless of their answer. Then - they told me the replacement cost! Luckily when I picked up the car they told me it tested OK. So, if your battery's more that 4 or 5 years old and you live in a cold climate you may want to consider replacement even if it tests OK.

P.S. I was not lucky enough for my ECO to stop working. Still giving the ECO button the finger (the index one) every time I start the car!

· Registered
478 Posts
@Northern Al
Wow 9 years? You are one of the lucky ones
Cheapest option a year or so ago was the bosch platinum h7 with full replacement etc etc and that was like 180 so you got a good deal
Yeah I am lucky. Sam's Club had a Price of $184.75 but none of them in my area had stock. I ended up with a Diehard Platinum. I'm now waiting for the other shoe to drop on the Aux. Battery. It's been 9 years on that one too. Any idea what the life expectancy of the Aux is? Maybe my ECO will stop working as a sign?!

· Registered
2017 CLA 250 Shooting Brake
1 Posts
I've had similar issues with my stop start but yesterday the following faults appeared while driving, ABS not available, parking brake not available, 4matic not available all faults closely followed by the engine management light. Parked up and expected it not to start this morning but other than the amber engine management light all faults had gone and the car had no faults stored. spoke to the local garage and they suspect battery issues, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

· Premium Member
13,595 Posts
Any idea what the life expectancy of the Aux is? Maybe my ECO will stop working as a sign?!
yeah me too ... sooner or later the eco wont engage
though maybe later ... its always turned off at startup
if and when the 10yr mark comes up and the little agm lump is still good then that 1 finger motion has saved lots of time headaches and money!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.