Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from MB in Oklahoma City and now there is a slot for an E1. Decided it won't work for my family (no matter how gorgeous it is). So I let it go.

Still no word on when it would actually arrive though.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
What happened?! You sold your restoration project, you were so excited...why the change of heart?

-Eric

·
Registered
546 Posts
For couples using a car seat. the cla is going to be a pain. Also, if there are couples with teens of decent size, the car will be a tight fit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well first is the no cup holder thing. That's just not going to work. Not with my kids and around town driving.

The second problem is when I sat in the back my head was touching the headliner. My daughter is in third grade and already 5ft, don't see this working too well in a few years. Looking for long term purchase.

The last things are the summer only tires and then this whole thing with little to no info on delays. These are relatively minor but a factor.

We have decided to wait for the new c-class next year. We love the current c-class but would rather wait for the updated version since its just around the corner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For couples using a car seat. the cla is going to be a pain. Also, if there are couples with teens of decent size, the car will be a tight fit.
Thankfully car seats aren't an issue for us but it will be for anyone dealing with them. You may have to lay the front seat forward and put them in from the front (for infant carriers).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thankfully car seats aren't an issue for us but it will be for anyone dealing with them. You may have to lay the front seat forward and put them in from the front (for infant carriers).
Can you talk more about this? My wife and I are having our first child in December, so we're new to all of this. Is it the size of the back doors that are a problem?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you talk more about this? My wife and I are having our first child in December, so we're new to all of this. Is it the size of the back doors that are a problem?
Sorry it took so long to reply, finally drug myself out the fetal position in the corner. I really wanted to look past all these flaws but gotta do what best for my family (not just me). I am not looking at a short lease. I am planning at least a 10 year ownership cycle. The reason we are even looking now (current car is 2007) is because the manual transmission in stop and go rush hour traffic is enhancing my lower back problems (I hate getting old lol).

Anyway, back to the car seat. Keep in mind this is an opinion, though it is from the angle of someone with 2 kids 3 nieces and a nephew in car seats of various forms for the last 8 years. Rear facing infant carrier will be a very very tight fit and will probably require the front seats to be scooted pretty far forward. You won't be able to get the carrier on and off the base in a straight forward way. when only having to take baby in and out of the seat you will have a very hard time getting in to try a buck the child in. Once the seat is forward facing it will be very hard to get the child in and out without bumping their head on the top of the door way. Car seats these days have gotten pretty big. and the sides come up very high and the door opening is not very large. I don't think booster seats are much of a problem.

The absolute best advice I can give you is don't take my word for it. Bring the infant carrier/car seat with you to trial fit in the car. If you don't have it yet, ask a friend or family member to loan one to you for the trial fit. If you think it will work for you then go for it but I do think a c class would be easier. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just leased an E1 CLA today, and I can confirm the carseat fit is very tight. Unfortunately, I didn't think to put the carseat in beforehand.

Our 4 month old is in a rear facing carseat. I'm 6'0", my wife is 5'3" and the carseat will be permanently behind her passenger seat. She had to move it substantially forward and very upright.

It's tight, but manageable. We live in NYC and I can't imagine any trips longer than an hour. I'll try to snap/post a pic later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We just leased an E1 CLA today, and I can confirm the carseat fit is very tight. Unfortunately, I didn't think to put the carseat in beforehand.

Our 4 month old is in a rear facing carseat. I'm 6'0", my wife is 5'3" and the carseat will be permanently behind her passenger seat. She had to move it substantially forward and very upright.

It's tight, but manageable. We live in NYC and I can't imagine any trips longer than an hour. I'll try to snap/post a pic later.
Why don't you put the car seat in the middle? If there is a latch for it there of course...

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are only 4 laches, they look like they're supposed to be for each seat. Perhaps the two inside ones would work, but I think that would make sitting back there impossible for anyone else, not to mention, I have my seat pretty far back, so I don't know that would work. I'll try it tho, just to see if it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts