Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I ended up buying an Audi A3 Sedan, so this is end of story of my CLA adventure. In my eyes the Mercedes still looks a lot better on the outside, but the Audi has a more modern interior, and that's where I am sitting. When driving the Audi I found my self smiling. I drove different cars with 150 HP TDI, 140 HP gasoline, manual transmission and the S Tronic. This is a quick and exact car that you can also cruise with, but the most impressive was the adaptive cruise control and the distance keeper. It really works perfect. With manual transmission the cruise control gets back to you after shifting gear. This makes it possible to stay behind another car for hours, even when you are passing other cars (like we have to do on narrow roads that we have in Norway).

When buying a car it all comes down to details. Car details, dealer details, driving details, equipment details, and of course price details. I was considering CLA 180 with 122 HP and bought A3 with 140 HP to the same prize. After reading the equipment lists thousand times I think I got a better equipped car.

I love music but didn't think of music until I drove an A3 with Bang & Olufsen sound system, and I did not think of buying navigation until Audi offered a package with navi and hitch. So all in all, in my opinion my A3 is microscopic better than the CLA I would get for the same prize.

I am still reading on this forum every day so don't hesitate to contact me.

And good luck with your CLA's - the best looking small car in history!

A3 forfra.JPG
bilde 2.JPG

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congratulations on your A3. I hope it works out well for you! At the end of the day buying a car is a very personal decision. There's no real right or wrong today because there are so many good cars out there. It comes down to whether the car you choose fits your needs/wants better than something else. If it makes sense for you then that's all that matters! I happen to love Audis so I think you did well. :) Please do hang around and also share pictures of your new car when you can!

-Eric

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very nice car!
Thank you. It still feels like the right choice to me. In the end, it was the interior that made me choose A3. Both cars costs the same (about 67.000 USD), but A3 has 140 HP and CLA has 122 HP. The 11mm tiny screen was just one of several small details that made me think that A3 seemed more modern than the CLA.

A lot of people are critical to all Audi models looking the same, but to me that is an advantage. I can not afford Audi A8 to 300.000 USD but why not drive a car that looks like the A8? It is all about the good feeling. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had my A3 Saloon almost two months, and I am still a happy Audi owner. No doubt; the CLA looks better from outside. But inside, when driving, the A3 is the winner. While CLA is a cruiser, the A3 is a sporty car.

This is my black and white beauty:
Audi A3 Sedan TFSI 140 Hk S Tronic Ambition.JPG
Exterior: [video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1d8tknbmptp0fw/Audi%20A3%20Sedan%20bakfra.MOV[/video]
Fast screen: [video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl1ocyc7k6rbvvv/Audi%20A3%20Sedan%20screen.MOV[/video]

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm probably going to sell my CLA and get the A3, given the annoyances I've had with my car and a local dealer. We'll see... glad others love their CLAs. I didn't wait for the A3 because of the outside looks being so... dated comparatively. How do you feel about the interior quality? I've noticed Audi's having a nice looking interior when new but they don't wear well over time, especially aluminum-looking plastic parts. Does the Bang & O stereo have a center image where the voices sound like they're coming from in front of you directly or the center of the dash?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
To Sirboom:

I totally agree with you; glad others love their CLAs. It was actually the interior that made me choose the A3 instead of the CLA. Inside the Audi looks so much better than the MB. After I bought the A3 I realized that it had a better engine and a lot of other advantages. Like the germans say "vorsprung durch technik" (advance through technology). I love the drive select, the thin screen going into the dashboard, the smooth and fast S Tronic, side mirrors pulled together when parking, high quality rearview camera, etc. The best thing is that A3 is cheaper than CLA.

I have had my A3 Saloon for 3 months and have been driving 2900 miles (4700 km). No issues so far. I haven't even talked to the dealer. I am VERY satisfied with my ride. Everything works perfect.

PS!
Bang & O stereo delivers 705 watt through 14 speakers so it is really hard to tell where the sound comes from. There is a lot of adjustment to get your sound perfect, and you can blow out your ears with this stereo. I think the volume goes to 45 or 50. When i listen to radio I normally use 14. When I listen to my favourite song I put it on 18-22.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Congrats on the car purchase. the A3 is a great choice and at the end of the day, it's all about your need and want. I for one am interested to hear your feedback on the A3 as you get more driving done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, but the ladies thinks Audi is sexy, Optimus. And in my opinion Audi make some of the best cars you can buy. Just like BMW and MB do. In the end it is all about what you like to drive. When we are talking about small cars, BMW got the most sporty ones, MB is for comfort and cruising and Audi is somewhere in the middle.

Audi-R8.png

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Audi A3 was the "other" choice for me and perhaps the only other (BMW perhaps). The A3 did drive with smoother power and driver attachment over the CLA 250 First Edition I test drove. Despite that, my blind love for the CLA prevailed.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts