Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 years prepaid maintenance service for my CLA when I bought my CLA in 2015. But I never really looked at my engine coolant level after the prepaid service period was over.
My CLA had the engine coolant low level light came on a few weeks ago and today finally managed to buy oem premixed engine coolant. Checked the level and it was like pretty much empty where the compartment in the reservoir can been seen from the top through the cap opening. Definitely way below the level indicator.
I topped it up with about 300-500ml of the coolant. Now it’s back over the indicator. I will drive it today and check it the next morning to make sure the level stays at the topped upmm by level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Every 3-4 months my 2020 45 AMG coolant-fluid level indicator would go off. Levels look pretty okay. Garage floor is dry. The dealer said “AMG engines are known to consume coolant”. Just topped it up on the spot and gave a free coolant fluid container. On the annual service I mentioned it to my long-time adviser (services my previous 2014 45AMG). He initially couldn’t find a leak but insisted on performing a pressure test that was positive for leak under pressure. They replaced some rubber part (sorry, can’t remember). No leaks but still find myself topping up every few months… Real story, no punch line. But ask for a pressure test.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

After topping off the coolant, I checked again this morning, the level looks fine, indicative of no major coolant leak.

I know there are no indication of any coolant drips or pooling below my car, as I do check every now and then.

I am thinking it's mostly related to coolant evaporating off over the 6.5 years of ownership, through any tiny gaps in the coolant lines. Any coolant system is not a 100% sealed tight system, and any mechanic will you that losing coolant a little every now and then is normal for many cars.

For my car, I have not had the coolant level checked for the past 3.5 years :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Every 3-4 months my 2020 45 AMG coolant-fluid level indicator would go off. Levels look pretty okay. Garage floor is dry. The dealer said “AMG engines are known to consume coolant”. Just topped it up on the spot and gave a free coolant fluid container. On the annual service I mentioned it to my long-time adviser (services my previous 2014 45AMG). He initially couldn’t find a leak but insisted on performing a pressure test that was positive for leak under pressure. They replaced some rubber part (sorry, can’t remember). No leaks but still find myself topping up every few months… Real story, no punch line. But ask for a pressure test.
That is right I already topped up the coolant on my 2 months old 21 CLA45, and will do the pressure test when it comes in for the first service

1 - 4 of 4 Posts